Avion AV3 review by Samick

Samick: Avion AV3

Purchased from: Hickory Wind Music

I like the sound of the guitar a lot. I've tried it through a 120 watt Behringer, a Kustom Quad DFX 65, and my previously mentioned practice amp. Through all these amps, the clean had a nice clear ringing tone. The treble pickup takes on a variety of sounds from twangy bass string riffs to blues scale licks. A combination of the treble and rhythm pickup produced a deep, smooth, tone that I favor for the smoother side of blues. It also sounds good for clean rhythm. Though the rhythm pickup had to much low end girth. Through the Behringer's distorted amp models and the lead channel of the Quad this guitar took on an endless variety of tones through the treble pickup. Great blues bite, and classic rock crunch rang forth. Through the Behringer's hi-gain models, the Avion handled handled classic metal or AC/DC crunch, well. Similar AC/DC crunch via the Kustom Quad came through. With a twist of the gain the guitar even handled convincing punk, emo, and grunge tones. Truly the guitar suits anything I could want to play. The pickup selector on two or three was mediocre on anything but clean or bluesy overdrive.

I play mostly rock and emo type stuff and this guitar matches this and more. I've been playing for about a year, and have educated my self on good and bad sound. This guitar definately isn't bad. It's better than some guitars that cost easily $100 more. If it were stolen I would buy it again. I love it's clean and distorted sounds. I am just a tad disappointed at the action's difficulty. However, seeing as this is my first electric guitar, it's great for me and is all I need in a guitar.

I would and will play this guitar live. The hardware is serviceable but I will someday replace the pickups if I still use the guitar. Everything is solid, though I've never abused it and never will, so I expect several years worth of use. I can and will depend on this guitar without backup. The finish is good and should last since I play everyday for quite a while.

The set-up was mediocre. There was some light buzz throughout frets 1-10. Thankfully, with a fixer-upper at the shop, the buzz was improved. The pickups are adjustable via screws on the sides, but were in satisfactory position. The bridge was in place and the nut is good. One thing I praise the guitar for are its polished frets and fret inlays. The finish is of course great and the knobs and tuning pegs are secure.

The features of the guitar itself weren't that great, but it's only a guitar after all. However, the store owner threw in a hardshell case for an extra hundred dollars. He also included the amp(It was a Kustom KGA10 practice amp), strap, noiseless cable, picks, and pick holder for free. So all in all it was a good deal for me. The guitar came with Greg Bennet humbuckers and stock strings. With all these things I give the guitar a 9, but I would have given it an 8. I do like my cherry sunburst finish very much, though.