Avion AV3 review by Samick

Samick: Avion AV3

Purchased from: Music 6K

I play a lot of alternative and hard rock. This guitar plays it pretty well, but I usually use one of my battle axes so I don't thrash the hell out of my AV-3. For the most part, I play a lot of classic style rock on her, and she sings like Telecaster or G&L ASAT Classic wish they could. This guitar I have used orangies (48" amp) and cheap Peavey 6inch speakers with and seems to play an variation or style that you throw at it. it can be a little noisy about mid-frets but the harmonics are to die for.

I think my over all impression is as follows. If oyu have around 300-320 bucks, and you are a fan of the les pauls. Get yourself a Samick AV-3. It is a good entry level guitar, but will please even the most seasoned guitarists. I think that any guitar needs its own little tweaks and modifications to match your style. But this is a very versatile guitar that can handle anything you want to put it through.

I believe that reliability is based upon the one playing the guitar. You have your thrashers, and your non-thrashers (like an old jeep, versus an aston Martin) but if you take care of this guitar, it will take care of you. I have had no issues with it this far, and I have had it for about 2 years now.

The guitar was factory set up somewhat decent. I had extra money, so all my hardware was replaced with gold accent bridge, tuning heads, etc. It seemed to be in top condition (aside from being out of tune)the color and finish of this guitar even a blind man could appreciate. All and all I give this a 9, it would be a 10 if the gold hardware came with it (but I could have gone an AV-7).

I have been playing since I was six years old. I am 20 now, over the past 14 years I have really figured out what it is I want in a guitar and I think I found it. This guitar is a 2004, handmade (custom) in Indonesia as they all are. 22 fat frets have given me a wide multitude of sounds (try your diminished scales, incredible) as well as a reliable lead and speed picking. The finish on the rosewood neck makes the action like a hot knife through butter. The solid mahogany body with a decent pair of humbucker pickups makes for an exquisite resonation and note vibration. I am a les paul guy, so this git-machine suits me well. The 3-way selector (rhythm, middle, treble) on top of a volume and tone knob for each pickup leaves unimaginable possibilities in sound. In my opinion, the only fallback to this guitar is the pick guard. It is suspended by a bracket, and it seems like the material it is made of is extremely brittle, so I replaced it straight away with something more my style. The grover heads are nice, and don't seem to slip thus causing re-tuning all that often. I replaced all my chrome hardware with gold plated though; which cost me more than the guitar itself, but one of the most aesthetically pleasing guitars in my collection.

metdethslaythrx
    i am lucky enough to own one of these. it is the best guitar out there for $200-$300. and a metal muff combined with this guitar = br00tal
    cap1987
    ah cool, this is my only electric guitar, cause i prefer acoustic. didn't think any one else owned one
    gradgr
    what to say... many cheap stuff on this guitar.. but who cares!!! for 220 euros this guitar rock!!! Am having it in a color that i could find it on net SUPERB U JUST WANT TO STARE AT HER ALL DAY... (when u dont play ;p )
    Circus Of Power
    i have played Ibanez GRG170,GRG121,GRX20,SA260,ESP EC50,EC100,VIPER100,Squier Bullet,Affinity Strat,Epiphone Les Paul Special,but still prefer AV3 to all of them,in terms of sound & playability.ESP has good tone but necks are too thick.Ibanez has a thin neck but tone is light due to basswood body.Squier Bullet sounds thin due to basswood body & single coils.Epiphone Special II has basswood body giving thin tone.AV3's mahogany body gives a thick fat Les Paul tone,for rhythm & lead.The neck is very comfortable & it's thickness is equal to Ibanez,Jackson or Schecter.It sounds better than a Ibanez SA260 costing twice as much.Flame Maple top looks as pretty as a Gibson Les Paul Standard priced @ $1900 & up! The next best thing to a real LP Std.
    Prefab Funk
    Les Paul Standard style Bennett AV3 Cherry sunburst curly maple on mahogany body.2 humbuckers with chrome covers.Plays & looks as good as a Gibson Les Paul Std at 10% less & 50 % less than a PRS.Gibson Les Paul Std curled sunburst is priced at @ $2000 & up.PRS starts @ $650 & up. Everytime I feel like playing I end up using the AV3 or a PRS SE.Quite a few musicians agreed that this guitar is a great choice,till you can afford a PRS!!!.
    brent3
    have on 4 2/3 years looks good feels good but it sounds like ..... no sustain at all u can change the pick ups but i know it won't fix the problem cause it has no sustain without a amp even a old squire strat off mine has more sustain when played unplugged
    brent3