Avion AV3 review by Samick

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Samick: Avion AV3

Purchased from: Consignment Music

I play mainly rock, and metal. I play a few different styles from funky rock like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, old rock and metal like Black Sabbath, and new like Seether, and Slipknot. It suits most of what I play fairly well. It's great for classic rock, newer rock, and blues. However I wouldn't say it's ideal for thrash metal, or heavy drop b metal. The pickups are very warm and thick sounding with... Moderate output I guess would be the appropriate description. Tis guitar does best with a crunchy classic rock distortion setting. The sound is fair for the price range. By the price range I mean what most others reviewing this guitar paid, I think I overpaid a little for it by the looks of things.

I've been playing guitar for 2 years. I'm a total noob basically, but I'm doing my best to help anyone trying to weigh the pros and cons of buying this. It fits most of the things I play fairly well. It's a good guitar if you can get it at a low price. If this guitar were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again. I would save up and get something better like a Schecter C-1 which would probably suite the heavier styles of music I play better. As far as things I love or hate about go, I think it has a pretty nice sound with a crunchy distortion setting. What I dislike is it feels a little cheap to be honest. Overall I think this would be a great first guitar or maybe a second for someone who got a $50 Squier for their first and wanted to upgrade without spending a fortune on a custom PRS. Overall I give this guitar a 6. It has a pretty good sound, good playability, and decent set up. It feels a little cheap however, and had some flaws. If you're looking for an affordable Les Paul Copy go ahead and check one of these out while you're browsing the Epiphones.

I don't really have the experience to comment from on durability since I'm not in a band, and don't play live shows, but I'll do the best I can. I do use a strap occasionally and nothing has ever went wrong there. The paint holds up eh. Fairly I guess. As noted above the nute came off, then there was the knob and imput jack. Not catastrophic failures, but I don't think I should have those problems after a couple of months. However I've had it about a year and a half now, and those are the only problems I've had. A couple of paint chips so far on the bottom of the neck, nothing major. It should continue to hold up. Overall it seems to be a little frail, but I don't think it'll crumble to pieces next time I pick it up.

The set up on this guitar was ok. I did not need to adjust the action or intonation. It doesn't feel uncomfortable to play, and is fairly light weight. The access to higher frets is not the best. The neck joint is a little like reaching around a brick, but the neck countour is comfortable, and easy to play lead on. I found no paint flaws. I did encounter some fret buzz, but not enough to make a big deal about. That being said there were a few problems I encountered. This guitar probably has one of the worst nuts I've seen. After about a month it came unglued, and it was cut in such a fashion where I pretty much had no open e note. Just straight buzz sound then mute. Also the imput jack, and bridge pickup tone knob came loose after a couple of months. Not a big problem, but annoying. The set up was ok, but I don't see how they let it run through the assembly line with that nut.

This guitar was made in 2009. Features are: 2 volume, 2 tone, and 3 way toggle. Grover tuners, tun-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece. Mahogany body, set neck(can't recall what wood it is, most likely mahogany or maple) with a medium thickness you contour. It has a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. The pickups are Seymour Duncan "design". I may be wrong, but I think that's a way of saying they aren't real Seymour Duncans, but they're based on them. Pretty simple straight forward design, nothing fancy.