Avion AV6 review by Samick

Samick: Avion AV6

Purchased from: Hickory Wind Music

Well the sound of the guitar through my Kustom Quad DFX suits nearly all of what I play which is mostly christian rock, modern worship for my youth group, hardrock, alternative, metal, funk, and some punk/pop. The sound is very full and rich sounding. The pickups provide a warm, smooth sound on clean settings and can distort well for blues and rock. The neck pickup can do a nice "Dani California" solo tone with medium distortion and the bridge pickup is nice for some Led Zeppelin and AC/DC riffing. As I'm using no effects and the pickups are passive the amount of distortion for heavier stuff is lacking, though they cut it for some Switchfoot, Underoath, Kutless stuff. The guitar sound is predominately for that old style crunch from the seventies on up to some 80s metal like Guns N'Roses. It does handle most lead and soloing very well, and it can cut it for some grunge and hardcore stuff, plus I'll be getting a pedal for distortion so this is pretty great for what I do.

This is a great guitar for blues, rock, medium heavy distortion, and mellow clean stuff like funk and the sort. I really don't regret buying this guitar as it has a nice tone to it. I would certainly buy this guitar or something like it(nice tone with more crunch) in this price range if it were lost or stolen.

This guitar is pretty well made and handles practice at well at home and Live use well. The hardware looks like it'll last finely enough for me though I will swap the pickups for better crunch someday. That's besides the point though. I've used it Live without backup and it's great. I don't abuse my guitar at all so I don't see why it would quit on my without warning. The finish does get scratched though, but I got the guitar to make nice sounds when I play music. I didn't get it to hang on the wall. Just look at Eric Clapton's Strat! So little scratches aren't really not an issue with me.

Well this guitar was about as well set-up as an overseas made guitar can get. The bridge pickup needed to be raised for more output, but I did that myself. Of course the main issue was the action. This guitar buzzes on the frets pretty badly. Of course I'm just picky about that and it won't be that bad to others. Thankfully, it's not so apparent when you're playing through your amp. Just watch out when your playing drop C or D because it buzzes on the lower frets.

First of all. I had recently written a review on a guitar that I presumed to be an AV3. Wrong, I hadn't asked the saleman what model it was and I recently found out it was indeed the AV6 model. So stupid of me. So here is the review on the correct guitar. The extra hundred dollars this guitar costs will bring you an over-seas made mahogany guitar with what I presume to be a rosewood neck. The neck has decorative, rectangular inlays and is round yet thin. It's quite comfortable to play really. It features a Les Paul like body and control layout with a slight curve in the upper bout being the only difference. I'm not sure what kind of finish it has, but it has an attractive cherry sunburst color. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic and the tuning pegs are decent if not Standard and keep the guitar reasonably intune unless you do a lot of heavy bends, hammer-ons, tapping, etc. Finally the pickups are passive and Duncan designed. Pretty nice features for a guitar of this price.