Avion AV6 review by Samick

Samick: Avion AV6

Purchased from: First Note Music

It suits my style pretty well, I play classic rock. I use a piece of fifteen watt Crate flexwave which has awful overdrive, it screams, literally. I also use a Marshall Mini Amp (the Mini half stack thet you can clip onto your belt) which has a nice tone for classic rock, except when the batteries need to be changed. The guitar isn't noisy, except when I flip the pickup selector, or un plug it, but I use low quality cable, due to someone dropping a guitar (not mine) and bending the plug. I may not be a good judge or tone, but I would say that it has a bright sound, If that's how you'd describe a SG, but this guitar is a bit darker in the tone department. It has a okay range of sound, I can play metal (Metallica and Judas Priest), hard rock (AC/DC and Deep Purple) and new rock (Three Days Grace) with no problem.

T play classic rock, new rock, and classic metal This guitar is a great match tonally, and visually... Well, except for the classical metal. I have been playing for almost a year now, I own a Takimine G-Series acoustic-electric, a Crate flexwave fifteen watt, and a Marshall mini amp. If It was stolen (I would not loose it) I would save up money for another one and swear every time I try to play a rock song on the acoustic. Or I would try my hand at building my own Les Paul style to my own standards and needs, rather than spending a lot of money to do it. I love the shape and the sound of it, I hate the smallness of the higher fret spaces (my fat fingers) and my favorite feature, is the individual tone controls. I compared It to some Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs, this blew those pathetic pieces of basswood or alder, or whatever they are out of the water, when it came to sound, and size, this guitar was bigger than the LP-100 I tried and the G-400. There are only a few things that I wish that it had, a Les Trem or Bigsby B5, a Slip-Stone nut, and a coil tapping feature.

I believe that this guitar will withstand a heck of a lot of Live playing, I've hit this guitar on another guitars or stands, and there are no marks. Well, except for scratches on the back caused by my belt buckle (yet I wear a dress belt, not a belt with some hubcap sized buckle.) The strap buttons are solid, too. And I could depend on this guitar for sure, I've put it through a lot of abuse and It hasn't failed me yet. I would go gigging without another guitar with this one, even though I't the "better safe than sorry" person. This guitar I think would withstand many years to come looking like new, the finish is very durable, my abuse of the guitar has proven that.

It was set up well, by the factory or the shop I do not know. It had a relatively low action, but no buzz. The top was also well bookmatched, almost mirror image, but it's spalted, so there is some difference though. Not many flaws, just a sharp point on one corner of the nut and a minor finish blemish on the headstock (it's really minor, it took me five months to notice).

It was made in Korea, but I do not know the year. She's gota 22 jumbo fret, fretboard. It's a bit hard to play on the highest frets, due to my fat fingers. I think that it's Gibson scale, but I haven't checked. It's a solid body made of mahogany, with a spalted maple laminate top, and cream binding and pickup rings. The mahogany (the body and neck) has a transparent red finish, the laminate top, has no stain, but only the clear coat of what is probally a laquer, maybe nitrocellulose. It's a Les Paul type guitar with only a major visual differences, besides finish. Those differenses are the headstock shape, size (I think it's bigger than a regular LP, but I haven't brought a ruler with me to the local GC) and a curve where the top half of the body meets the 18th fret. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a stop tailpiece, which I'm thinking of replacing with a Les-Trem, because I do not want to marr the beautiful top with a Bigsby's mounting screws (B5) or take up too much real estate (B7.) Passive electronics, two tone and two tone bell knobs, and two Duncan-Designed humbuckers with chrome covers. It came equiped with non-locking Grover tuners that hold tune remarkably well.

Sunburst459
    Ugh, I just realized how badly I spelled my review. Oh, well, I wrote it at two in the morning.
    Danboy_06
    I have this guitar too. It is amazing! Especially good given its price. I would compare its quality and sound to that of a mid-high priced epi lp. And at a faction of the cost it really should be a no-brainer (apart obviously from not having the brand name).
    GunLeatherGuy
    Ok...reviewer #1 The guitar is made in Korea. #2 You should setup any guitar to the style and tuning of music you play...buzz is bad. #3 Got it.... Its a good solid import. The frets were polished and straight! The neck has a nice smooth relief. The mahogany used has a nice tight grain, providing great tone. The construction and finish of the guitar are on par with its american copy (if not better than some Ive played). The pups are good,the electronis are ok..as are the Grovers. The fret edges are a tad sharp...which is easily fixed. The pups are DD HB102's...actually a very good copy of a SD HotRod set. New 500K cts pots, a good switch and jack are all you really need to get some good sound...doing a very good impersonation of their USA made counterparts. But a real SD set is always a safe bet. All in all, its a rewire and some locking tuners away from being a very good LP impersonator. It plays, feels and sounds very well..not just for the money. 8.5/10. Eric