GT1 review by Samick

Samick: GT1

Purchased from: Music Go Round

It sounds good, given that it is the lower model and has regular hums and not the Duncan Designed. I plan on changing the pickups out and am thinking of GFS Hot Liverpool model. The Agathis wood does not bother me, as I have a Squier tele custom II with Duncan Designed P90's and am very pleased with the tone of that guitar, The Standard pickups are a little thin sounding so I hope that putting the pickup I am thinking of will enhance the sound. Given all that, it gives a very rich sound and notes seem to pop out of it. The pots work very well so I am excited about the potential of this guitar.

I like to play blues, classic rock and power pop, and I think this guitar will fit in well with all the styles. I am looking for that solid punchy humbucking sound that you get with set neck guitars and even with the stock pickups, I am gettin it. I tested this guitar against Epiphone Les Pauls, Standard and special models, as well as against a few LTD models and a Fender MIM model and chose this one as I felt the tone was better and the guitar had better overall projection. One more thing, the body is not as big as a Epiphone/Gibson V, but is larger than the baby V's that Dean makes. It is a full size guitar, just a little smaller. If it were lost or stolen I would definately be bummed out as these are no longer being produced. Overall I am very happy.

This guitar will easily handle gigging as the hardware and other than the pickups are first rate. The strap buttons are rock solid and other than a few nicks, the paint and finish are flawless. One thing I have noticed, is that they undercoat the paint finish, as the nicks do not go down to the wood. Over all the durability is solid, and having owned Samick products before, reliability should not be a problem.

The guitar was set up fine, but what I am most impressed with is the quality and attention to detail of the guitar. Being used, it has a few dings, but not down to the wood, they have a base coat under the candy apple red finish. The finish is flawless, and overall, the guitar looks as if it should cost hundreds more. The tuners, while not grovers, are very smooth and hold in tune well. The Bridge is very solid, as are the strap buttons. Being a V, I like how Samick has the cable plug in on the inside part of the lower wing on the V, and how both ends of the wings in the V have a strap button. All controls work smooth and free of problems, and the tone control is linear which is a big plus.

Bought used, without accessories from Music Go Round. Not sure of year made, Samick discontinued this mode a few years ago. Solid Agathis body, set neck, 2 humbucking pick-ups, 2 volumes and 1 tone control. Candy apple red in color, tune o matic bridge. Tuners are sealed, not Grover but very smooth and hold in tune very well. I believe the guitar was made in Indonesia.

sewoo55
    IYanoplathizoI
    rv_phoenix wrote: sewoo55 wrote: korean guitars always give you back for you buck..... just look at the prs se line, the higher end LTDs, Cort guitars,.... We cannot compare guitars who exceed the 500 euros with those below 100, fro obvious reasons. Korean makes can make excellent guitars, that's true, but they can also make sheer crap, if too cheap. A 9 overall for this? How much would we rate a Korean PRS SE, then? A 90, perhaps?
    Yeah! If it cost the same....
    Charlie4
    Charlie4
    TuningGamer
    Maybe people should just read reviews and not look at numbers and also see everything in the $100-perspective. Ofcourse a 3000$ guitar is going to be better, it ain't rocket science.
    Hells.Mascot
    rv_phoenix wrote: Charlie4 wrote: How do we get hold of the site administrators? They NEED to set up different price ranges for ratings because this is just ridiculous. I don't mind this guitar getting a 9/10 in a $0-$300 category but what's the point in reading a review if a $120 guitar and a $3000 PRS both get a 9 rating? Time for a change UG. That's what I proposed a few weeks ago. We all understand the need to appreciate someone's efforts to produce a decent guitar at around 200 euros. But rating it against a real pro instrument, of above 1000 euros, is always tricky: it's true the guy who did the 2500 euros guitar had more means at his disposal, but the guitar he produced still sounds so much better! We also need to separate the reviews according to their author's experience. I agree it's more difficult to achieve this goal, I also undestand we have to support beginner's enthusiasm about getting into the guitar world, but it's ridiculous to see crappy instruments, getting straight 9s or 10s from people who don't even know whether their axe is made in wood or aluminium.
    I've been proposing that for years.
    Spud Spudly
    rv_phoenix
    Spud Spudly wrote: People don't like to be critical of what they just spent money on. They want to believe -- or make others believe -- that they spent their money well. You see it on every site that reviews purchases, such as Amazon. People give inflated ratings to what they own. I've been playing for 30 years but still don't feel like I know enough about gear to post a review of the Epi I just bought.
    You certainly know 100 times more than the guy who just bought online, straight from China, the same Epiphone and rated it 9,8, pretending it's so much better than an "overpriced" Gibson or PRS. This is a comprehensive portal. One can try to convince himself (and other people) he bought the right thing, when purchasing a crappy Stagg online, posting in other departments than "Reviews". We can make an "Opinions" or "Enthusiasm" department to host these posts who tell nothing about the actual qualities of an instrument or an amp.
    ferdius
    I know not everyone likes inexpensive guitars, but I repeat, I bought this USED! I bought a Gibson SG once and returned it cause the frets were horrible, so you can have problems with any guitar. What I like about this guitar is the fit and finish and attention to detail, which is excellent, much better than some Fenders I have tried. I bought this guitar as a project to work on, and the biggest thing is that I am going to replace the pickups, the stock ones are not that good. Samick used to make guitars for epiphone before Gibson moved the plant to Communist China. If I ever spend 3000 dollars for a guitar it better be great, otherwise it's a waste of money, but that doesn't mean you can't find a guitar for a great price period. As for this guitar, I'm keeping it, it plays great, and with the new pickups will sound even better, so I'm happy and that's all that matters.