GT1 Review

Samick: GT1
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
GT1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2011

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: Bought used, without accessories from Music Go Round. Not sure of year made, Samick discontinued this mode a few years ago. Solid Agathis body, set neck, 2 humbucking pick-ups, 2 volumes and 1 tone control. Candy apple red in color, tune o matic bridge. Tuners are sealed, not Grover but very smooth and hold in tune very well. I believe the guitar was made in Indonesia. // 9

Sound: It sounds good, given that it is the lower model and has regular hums and not the Duncan Designed. I plan on changing the pickups out and am thinking of GFS Hot Liverpool model. The Agathis wood does not bother me, as I have a Squier tele custom II with Duncan Designed P90's and am very pleased with the tone of that guitar, The Standard pickups are a little thin sounding so I hope that putting the pickup I am thinking of will enhance the sound. Given all that, it gives a very rich sound and notes seem to pop out of it. The pots work very well so I am excited about the potential of this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fine, but what I am most impressed with is the quality and attention to detail of the guitar. Being used, it has a few dings, but not down to the wood, they have a base coat under the candy apple red finish. The finish is flawless, and overall, the guitar looks as if it should cost hundreds more. The tuners, while not grovers, are very smooth and hold in tune well. The Bridge is very solid, as are the strap buttons. Being a V, I like how Samick has the cable plug in on the inside part of the lower wing on the V, and how both ends of the wings in the V have a strap button. All controls work smooth and free of problems, and the tone control is linear which is a big plus. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily handle gigging as the hardware and other than the pickups are first rate. The strap buttons are rock solid and other than a few nicks, the paint and finish are flawless. One thing I have noticed, is that they undercoat the paint finish, as the nicks do not go down to the wood. Over all the durability is solid, and having owned Samick products before, reliability should not be a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play blues, classic rock and power pop, and I think this guitar will fit in well with all the styles. I am looking for that solid punchy humbucking sound that you get with set neck guitars and even with the stock pickups, I am gettin it. I tested this guitar against Epiphone Les Pauls, Standard and special models, as well as against a few LTD models and a Fender MIM model and chose this one as I felt the tone was better and the guitar had better overall projection. One more thing, the body is not as big as a Epiphone/Gibson V, but is larger than the baby V's that Dean makes. It is a full size guitar, just a little smaller. If it were lost or stolen I would definately be bummed out as these are no longer being produced. Overall I am very happy. // 9

Comments