Interceptor II IC-10 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 06/22/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Interceptor II IC-10
Designed by master luthier Greg Bennett and precision built by the master craftsmen at Samick, the Interceptor Series is Greg's most aggressive guitar design and built for speed demons and soloists who prefer the added range of a 24-fret neck and a deep cutaway for complete access to the entire neck, especially the upper frets.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 7.8
 8.5
 4,132
reviews (2) pictures (1) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Interceptor II IC-10 Reviewed by: guitar351, on august 28, 2009

Purchased from: CRP music and recording

Features: "The Interceptor II provides that aggressive attitude, while maintaining the visual and physical balance that makes the design work. Check out the deep-set neck pocket. It really makes the guitar feel tight and increases the punch, almost like a set neck guitar. This is really unusual in a bolt-on neck style guitar."- Samick Website Made in 08' 24 Jumbo Frets on a bolt on maple neck Solid basswood body Silver paint and then clear coat Body styled in an RG/super Strat Hard tail string-thru bridge Passive Humbuckers 1 Volume 2 Tone, 3 way selector Grover Tuners (surprisingly) Graphite Nut Rosewood fingerboard // 7

Sound: It suits any style from blues to jazz to metal. It suits me perfectly for any style, but i prefer using my different guitars for there strongest style qualities, so I use this guitar for mainly metal. I use it with an Orange Crush 15 and various tube amps (Epi VJ, Peavy Windsor, Marshall JCM 800) and it sounds wonderful through any of these amps. I use a DigiTech GNX3 for effects. It is not noisy AT ALL. It has a bright sound with tone at 10, but can get a really warm, rich sound when you roll the tone back. Lots of variety in tonal capability's. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased the guitar from CRP Music, it was perfectly set up for me and adjusted to my specs. The pups were also very well adjusted, but I raised em' a bit just because I like a hotter sound. No visable flaws on this guitar. The finish on this guitar is rock solid and has shown almost no scratches and absolutely no dents or dings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has stood up to Live playing very well and can take any abuse you dish out. It will last as long as you take proper care. The strap buttons were already replaced with schaller strap locks so no comment. I wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup, not because it might break, but I have around 6 guitars, and like to use all of them. // 9

Overall Impression: I play any kind of music except the crap pop and stuff that the radio plays today. I've been playing for 4 years and own 4 electric and 2 Acoustic guitars. If it were stolen I would buy another one just because the neck profile suits me perfectly, and it is an amazing value. Buy it and you wont be dissapointed like you probably would with other $170 guitars. // 8

Interceptor II IC-10 Reviewed by: Rickendog, on june 22, 2015

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: As per IC10 specs, Rosewood neck, Maple finger board, 24 frets etc. etc. You can easily get the specs from the Greg Bennett website. The shape is Strat style with the Greg Bennett touches which I personally like. Fixed bridge for easy harmonic adjustment and simply restring and maintenance. Passive Duncan Designed pickups, chromed and punchy. My body is Metallic Black high gloss finish with clean classic body lines. It looks and feels good to me with 2 Volume and one tone knobs and the standard three way selector. Two humbuckers, neck and bridge with firm, tidy machine heads. Bought it second hand so didn't get any accessories. // 9

Sound: Suits my musical style perfectly, blues, rock, metal. Using a Peavey supreme combo, 100w with 4x12 for practice and or Laney 110 Pro series, running 2x12 Laney box with 4x12 Masiah (Celestion) box. The IC10 has great tonal range from factory and if set up properly with a good amp can surprise even the high end, big spender. People will put down different guitar brands and styles because it does not suit them personally. There is no such thing as a perfect guitar for everybody, the instrument is what you make it and how you play it. Use a pedal or change your amp to change the sound, it's very easy to blame the instrument but for me, the IC10 sounds great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not set up perfectly from factory, there was no tension on the neck for example. The pickups are not in optimum position from factory but if given to an experienced/serious guitarist for set up, can and will be the guitar you would like to own. The Duncan Designed pickups have only a single screw height adjustment on them but can be set to a very usable position. Look of guitar is classic and finish is great, a very well made and designed guitar. Pickups are quiet but punchy with good range. Selector and knobs are good quality with a firm feel. // 9

Reliability & Durability: IC10 easily stands up to live work and all components are sturdy and durable. Strap buttons are solid and reliable. It is a very dependable guitar and as with all instruments, if you look after them and practice preventative maintenance you should never have a problem with any instrument but I personally never play a gig without a backup guitar, as it is quite annoying to break a string mid song! Body and neck finish are nice and durable and will last as long a you care for it. Samick and Greg Bennett have not re-invented the wheel, they have just made it more accessible to the musical public. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing metal, rock and blues for over 25 years and own a variety of guitars and bass's from Fender, Rickenbacker, Kramer, Ibanez and a few others (approx 18 instruments). The IC10 is one of FOUR Greg Bennett design guitars that I own. If my Greg Bennett's were lost or stolen I would definitely replace all of them. I have played high end guitars in the past and "for me" the perfect guitar is in the personal feel and set up. Greg Bennett design guitars are fantastic value for money and are good quality. The truth is, you don't need to spend thousands to have a quality guitar with a brand name and the perfect sound. Find the instrument that suits you and your style. Greg Bennett design's suit me and the IC10 is no exception. // 9

Comments