Rockwell RW1 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 02/05/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Samick: Rockwell RW1
It features set in necks with rosewood fingerboards, flange base bridges for just about endless sustain, and the angled headstock produces maximum string tension and a straight string path for spot-on tuning.
 8.1
 7.2
 3,585
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Rockwell RW1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2005

Purchased from: dany's music stop

Features: This guitar was built in 2003 and constructed in indonesia. It has 22 frets set in maple, laminated top. It has a suttle black transparent finish. This guitar is a Explorer style body with grover tuners. 1 volume, 2 tone and 3 way toggle Switch. It has 2 Duncan humbuckers (silver plated). It came with case (wrong size), cables and a tuner. // 8

Sound: I bought this guitar because is has a blazing fretboard, good for the style of music I play, speed metal, Metallica, Slayer. It sounds good enough for any gig with a Black Coffee (fuzz pedal). I run everything through a 40watt Washburn Baddog. There are no anoying noises other than desired. It give a full/rich sound with a solid bright sound for the soloing. The sounds fun from heavy chorus to clear-chrunching solo action. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action for this guitar is set high, great for scales and solos. I haven't had to mess with the pickup height yet for any desired sounds, they were set nicely. There is only one flaw for cosmetics, the black plastic nob that screws onto the toggle Switch came stripped, it needs a metal cap. Other than that all is well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has already withstood some gigs with no problems. The fretboard came with a replacement plan for when they wear out so the guitar will be lasting me a long while. The strap buttons have never givin me any problems, only with 3 dollar straps lol. I use it for gigs and I don't have a backup cause I don't need one, very dependable. The finish is solid, no wear yet, I've had it for 2 years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play speed metal and this guitar couldn't get better (with the exception of 2 more frets, lol). I've been playing for 2 years and I own a Yahmaha acoustic and a nova piece of s--t guitar. One amp (Washburn Baddog). If someone stole it I would hunt them down and kill'em for takin it in the first place, but I would buy it again no questions asked. I love the looks and action. I hate haters and I choose this guitar because I've heard it to be reliable. Yes, a slammer Explorer, around the same price, I didn't like the other because it's action wasn't up to par. I only wish it had 2 more frets for more range. // 10

Rockwell RW1 Reviewed by: Brisse, on february 05, 2007

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: It's made in Indonesia. I'm not sure about the year but would guess 2003. It's based on the Xplorer design but is a litte streched out still very true to the original. I read somwhere that "the very fast 22-fret, 24-3/4 scale neck is a shredders playground" and must agree. Your fingers will be dancing over the rosewood. The guitar features fully bound mahogany neck and body. The black color could be used as I mirror if you like, it's shiny and pretty but dust gets very visible. The pickups are some random noname brand (RW2 features duncans) but they are okay and has the sound that you would expect from this kind of guitar. That means it's hevavy rythm and great attack in the palm mutes. The soloing sounds more like a Les Paul. Groover tuners work great, they have never let me down. We got the usual Explorer 3 way toggle and one tone potentiometer and two for volume. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Metallica but also stuff like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, In Flames and a lot of other styles to like blues. The guitar is No Doubt a heavy metal axe but that doesn't mean other stuff can't be played. I use the Peavey Valveking 112 witch is a cheap tube combo. I play without any effects and usually a lot of gain and it's what the guitar is made for. Harmonics come out realy good if you choose the bridge pickup. That pickup is a litte noisy but it's not so bad. For the price you pay for this guitar you get a realy good heavy sound and solos cut nice throu the rythm. Clean sounds is what you would expect. In my amp it sounds wery much like Metallica's early stuff like One, Call of Ktulu and Fade to Black. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was good set up, the only things I have done is changed the strings and put the pickups a litte closer to the strings. I only se one flaw and that is the black cap on the pickup selector. Sometimes it can get loose but it's easy to screw it in place again. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I haven't even broken a string yet. Live playing won't become a problem and everything seems to last good. Strap buttons are realy good and they are often a flaw in far more expensive guitars. Even with a good guitar you should always take a backup with you at a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: It's my first guitar but I have played a lot of different guitars. I've been playing for 4-5 months and I don't think I will buy a more expensive guitar for a long time. If it were stolen I would have a go for a Gibson or ESP but as long as that doesn't happen I will keep this one. It's a great guitar for beginners and intermidates and is a lot better than the price suggests. // 9

Comments