Royale RL2 review by Samick

Samick: Royale RL2

Purchased from: Hendersons Music store

This guitar was perfect for jazz/blues fusion. As I mentioned the pickups are disapointing as the guitar is very well made and finished. Playing in clubs alot I like to use various amps, Fender Hotrod, Engl etc. But I find if I use any overdive at all the pickups squeel all the time.

I have been playing guitar for thirty years and now at last I feel I have found a great crossover instrument. This is an instrument worth buying if you are willing to customise. As it stands I believe the guitar sounds and plays better than many higher priced instruments. Definety worth a look.

I have had to change all the pots and a Switch to quality items to retain some reliability. This is a very well made guitar and plays very well, its just a pity that Samick didnt take the time to think of road worthyness of the guitar. I have now replaced the pickups with Seymore Duncans and it is incredible how the guitar sounds.

The guitar came well set up from the factory, albiet with very light strings. Soon the gremlins started to appear, things like pots coming loose, and the Switch broke.

I bought the RL 2 a few months ago after seeing it in guitarist mag. It is basically a slightly larger semi hollow Les Paul type guitar. The body is of mahogany construction with a glued in neck. Two pickups and the standard tuno matic bridge set up. Two volume and tone as standard. Two humbucking pickups which I found out to be of the microphonic variety much to my disapointment.

abutcher713
    I bought one of these recently and it's an amazing guitar for an amazing price. Faultless! I have no problem with the pickups and pots the pickups sound great. I have a Strat a Tele and a Les Paul and this is now my first choice guitar. Try one and don't be fooled by the low price.