Royale RL2 Review

manufacturer: Samick date: 03/12/2005 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Samick: Royale RL2
The "Royale" RL2 thin line style electric guitar is designed to combine the resonant warmth of an acoustic with the performance characteristics of a solid body. Features an arch nato top, set neck design and grover tuning gears.
 7.9
 7.2
 8.6
 4,553
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Royale RL2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2005

Purchased from: Hendersons Music store

Features: I bought the RL 2 a few months ago after seeing it in guitarist mag. It is basically a slightly larger semi hollow Les Paul type guitar. The body is of mahogany construction with a glued in neck. Two pickups and the standard tuno matic bridge set up. Two volume and tone as standard. Two humbucking pickups which I found out to be of the microphonic variety much to my disapointment. // 10

Sound: This guitar was perfect for jazz/blues fusion. As I mentioned the pickups are disapointing as the guitar is very well made and finished. Playing in clubs alot I like to use various amps, Fender Hotrod, Engl etc. But I find if I use any overdive at all the pickups squeel all the time. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came well set up from the factory, albiet with very light strings. Soon the gremlins started to appear, things like pots coming loose, and the Switch broke. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I have had to change all the pots and a Switch to quality items to retain some reliability. This is a very well made guitar and plays very well, its just a pity that Samick didnt take the time to think of road worthyness of the guitar. I have now replaced the pickups with Seymore Duncans and it is incredible how the guitar sounds. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for thirty years and now at last I feel I have found a great crossover instrument. This is an instrument worth buying if you are willing to customise. As it stands I believe the guitar sounds and plays better than many higher priced instruments. Definety worth a look. // 8

Comments