Silvertone SG 21 review by Samick

Samick: Silvertone SG 21

Purchased from: A Friend

I got the guitar from a friend who founded in his house and had no idea that he haded this guitar in his house, so he told me that I can have it so I accepted it and took it home even tho it was in pretty bad shape. It's a Silvertone by Samick SG guitar kinda like an actual Gibson. An SG style body, made in Korea don't know the year it was made, 22 medium frets, pretty thin neck, solid body, set in neck, body and neck probably mahogany, tune-o-matic style bridge and tailpiece, 2 humbuckers, 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs, vintage style tuners that stay in tune really good.

I play a lot of type music my most needs are rock/metal sometimes a bit of clean stuff and this guitar really fits my needs. The cleans are really good and sound full. I play through a Line 6 15 watt practice amp on the clean channel no pedals or effects running. Both neck and bridge pickups have there own unique sounds, the neck full warmth tone and the bridge crisp clean and clear. On the distortion I run through a Marshall DSL head and a Mesa 4x12 cabinet with a couple of pedals on the front such as a noise gate, tube screamer etc... It sound really amazing very fat tone I can get out of kinda close to a much higher end guitar. For once the guitar does not sound cheap neither does the pickups. When I do leads on it it gives really good sustain a little bit of feedback but nothing that serious it's mostly quiet on cleans but of distortion maybe throw in a noise gate to keep it quiet. Overall this guitar can get the job done the right way. I'll probably change the bridge pickup to a Bareknuckle pickup for the low heaviness of the drop tuning that I'm in but for now it still sounds really good.

When I got it from my friend the guitar was in bad shape. First of all I cleaned it when I took it home and then it began, it was missing the nut on the top where the neck is, a cover of the machine head tuner was missing, is didn't came with knobs, kinda scratched off from the back, both the bridge and tailpiece were missing, there was a big hole where the output jack was suppose to be, it was dirty hasn't been clean in like a year, at least the pickups were still in tact and the whole neck and body were still in tact very well. This guitar has been through a lot of pain and I managed to bring it back to life and make it new again. I fixed the hole and added a new socket for the jack to go in, added green vintage style covers for the machine heads instead of having one green and the rest yellowish, added a new nut a bone nut than a plastic one, wired the pickups back in place, bought both the bridge and tailpiece so it has a real tune-o-matic bridge, I adjusted the bridge and nut height so that it can be a low action, intonation is perfect where nothing wrong there, I replaced the pickup selector as well because it didn't worked. The neck is pretty thin and really good no sharp end frets hanging so there's nothing there to fix. Everything except for the pickups are new parts I even added 2 white and 2 black knobs. At the mean time I'll leave the pickups there late I'll install a Bareknuckle on the bridge and maybe keep the neck pickup on there. So far everything on the guitar feels really amazing its like I'm playing a Gibson but it's not when I see the headstock.

This guitar will be good for gigs I have taken it to a couple a gigs and had hours playing it mostly now its a backup but it still last as a main guitar. I have once competed it with my friend who haded a Fender American HSS Strat and the SG sounded killer better than the Fender Strat. We both were using Mesa cabinets but he had a Peavey 6505 head and I had the Marshall DSL running on my cab and I'm amazed that my SG beat a higher end Fender Strat maybe because I was running the Marshall DSL head but oh well it sure beat the Strat. Of course everything of the hardware seems to be in good shape now but the strap buttons had to go because they were loose and added strap locks and it's much better now. The finish of the guitar is pretty good although I may repaint it in a much later time but overall is still good. The guitar stays in competition with my other guitars except for my ESP and Jackson which both have an EMG pickups on the bridge and my other guitarist which is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncans on it but when it's playing with other guitars there's no difference it's almost identical.

Over the years I been playing metal hard rock stuff, a ton of guitars own alot of them sold some and trade them as well but this silvertone SG guitar impressed me so much because even tho I don't have that much research about it, it still sounds killer in cleans distortion and it withstands the majority of the guitars that others play. It looks pretty identical to a Gibson plays like one feels like one but when I look at the headstock it says silvertone and not Gibson. I can manage to create many tones and sounds with this guitar it really does matches my style of playing. I wouldn't compete this guitar with other ones like higher end Gibsons but with other ones yeah it can withstand other guitars. If i would to go to a gig bigger than any other i would choose this guitar as one of my main guitars to preform. I love everything about it its really light and it doesn't keep me tired of playing it. The only thing I would change on this guitar is the bridge to a Bareknuckle pickup just to make the tone a little bit fatter nothing much. If only Samick started making these type of guitars again.