Torino TR1 review by Samick

Samick: Torino TR1

Purchased from: Local music store

I play classic rock, but I had to start playing metal since my age group is 17. So I got this and made it an in-between by switching that amazing HB-103 bridge pickup and put in another one of my guitars (unnamed Les Paul looking thing) and put a Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1 and then coil tapped the original neck pickup to sound like a Tele. Before I did that it sounded like a big-mid's crunch with a Angus young type sound. I use a Peavey Vypyr 30W and a DigiTech RP 500 in-front for fuzz, wah, whammy, and modulators. I tend to use the tapped neck pickup to much, but when I use the Blackout it compliments my mid's even when I scoop then out for metal. The only time it has been noisy is when I am right next to my laptop other than that dead quiet.

My guitars consist of a unnamed weird Les Paul thing, a Ibanez RG7321, 12 string Fender acoustic, and a Gretsch mini bass. Amps and other stuff include a 30w Peavey VYPYR, DigiTech RP-500, DigiTech Synth Wah, and a Heil Talk Box. I use the last two on on occasion. I like '70 classic rock and '80 pop and metal, but my friends that I play guitar with like every late '90 early '00 type of metal (NU, Thrash, Grunge, Death, and Core) they got me hooked RATM though (Tom (guitarist) sound kinda like Van Halen meets jimmy page blues.) For the price it this guitar is amazing is amazing, I can play from smooth jazz (because of coil tapping the neck) to metal on this guitar and that Blackout I put in it had a bit of space in the pot and Switch cavity for the 9-volt battery. I have been playing for about 4 years now and I might not repurchase this guitar because I want to shoot a bit higher on price and since I have that awesome sounding bridge pickup from it in another guitar =P. It would be nice to have a the neck strap button somewhere else. Sadly the reason I chose this guitar is the tiger stripe looking wood with the transparent coat, but I didn't know it would sound awesome.

almost 3 years (x10 for being completely accident prone) of dropping it, hitting it (stupid mic stands), and dropping things on it, there is a chip here and there but nothing serious enough to go to the store for repair (It did break my toe once though.) I'm not too sure if the pickup selector will last since my friends started me on RATM and Audioslave (stupid Tom Morello) but it seems to me like everything else might hold up well.

Loved the guitar right out of the box, since I wasn't expecting much on $300 dollar price. My only dislike out of the box was the .09 strings because I prefer .10's for that extra definition, but that is just a minor detail. There weren't any abrasions on it or any problems with the finish, but the wax that was on the in the head of the screws on the pickups made me go OCD until I took a toothpick to it to scrape it out. The nut on the input jack gets loose every now and then but you can just tighten it with your hand about every month or so. I tried to tighten it with two wrenches but I get the same effect.

My G.B. TR-1 was made in Indonesia, manufacture date of 2008 and I got new in May of that year so it was pretty fresh. It has rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets, but that 22nd fret is kinda hard to get to because of the mahogany set in neck piece. It has a Red mahogany body with a SG knock-off style body (a lot like the Epiphone G-400). Tune-O-Matic bridge with passive Seymour Duncan HB-103's with chrome covers in a HH configuration and 3-way toggle, two volume and 2 tone knobs. Die cast tuners and truss rod (trust me if you have a guitar without one, it sucks.) I got a free choice of a gig bag and strap, but that might be because the owner is a good friend of mine.

SynHR
    srvkicks@$$ wrote: well the only electric i own is a samick and i personally think it sucks i havent played it on any other amps though so i dont know if its the amp or the guitar i was also wondering what the body is made of i got it used so i dont know anything about it the tag says model lsr-25dos\tc if anyone knows anything about wat the body is made of will you tell me
    I have one of those, they're pretty damn good, the electronics, materials and build is of something you'd expect of a guitar twice the cost.
    Greywolf37412
    Have had a TR1 for 6 months and I love it. someone wanted to know what it is made of, it is mahogany. I have a Washburn HB32 for country and blues and the TR1 is for rock. I love the sustain on. Got mine at a pawnshop for 139 and it was in mint condition. Only complaint I have is the strings could stand to be a little lower at the nut, but it is still easy to play. Sound is great (even through a Crate GTD120). Have had over a dozen electric guitars over the last 3 years and for the money, I think these 2 are the best. If I could find an acoustic 12 that plays as good as the Samick I would be tickled (the only acoustic I have right now is a Takamine EG323SC but it is a good one to me).