Torino TR2 review by Samick

Samick: Torino TR2

Purchased from: Music Outlet

My styles are of rock and metal and anything I make up that sounds good. It suits my style very well. I use a Marshall MG10CD amp and Zoom FX pedal. It's almost never noisy and it has a very bright, distinctive tone. It can make pretty much whatever sound I make it make. I even figured out how to make pacman noises with it! Very much variety.

I play rock and metal and unique things. This guitar is a great match and I've been playing and enjoying it thoroughly for three years now. I own a Metal Zone pedal, a Zoom FX pedal, a Crybaby Wah, and a Marshall MG10CD amp (see my review for it) in addition to my guitar. I wished I'd asked more about the volume and tone controls when I first bought it because it took me forever to figure out how to use them properly. If I lost it or it was stolen I'd probably buy something else unless I could find a twin of my Samick because I love it that much. I love everything about it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little hard to do pinch harmonics on it. My favorite feature is it's beautiful finish. I compared it to an Epiphone SG. I chose this one because it had more volume and tone controls plus it just looked better. I wish it had a floyd rose tremolo and locking tuners.

This guitar would withstand Live playing: that I'm sure of. I've had it three years so far and I've never had a problem with the hardware so far. The strap buttons are very very solid. I can depend on it at all times and even though I've never been on a gig, I'd use it without a backup if I did. The finish is wonderful. It still hasn't worn off in the slightest in three years.

It was set up fairly well at the factory. The action was set too high at the factory. The pickups I guess were adjusted well because I've never messed with them and they still sound great. The bridge and top are fine and the guitar contained no flaws that I could tell of.

I'm not sure what year my TR2 was made, but it was manufactured in Indonesia and has 23 frets. The neck is thin and it's a solid-top I'm pretty sure. it's made of maple and it has a transparent blood-red finish. Dual-cutaway/modified SG body style. I'm not sure what the bridge style is called but I think it's a Tune-O-matic. Active Electronics. It has four volume and tone controls and a three way selector Switch. It has two Duncan designed humbuckers. The tuners are grovers and are nonlocking. It came with a strap and that's all.