Torino TR2 review by Samick

Samick: Torino TR2

Purchased from: Local Store

I play Punk, Rock and Metal, and this guitar sounds good for both. I use a Roland Cube 15X with no effects. It gets noisy when I turn the volume up, probably because of the cable, but it hardly produces any noise with my Proel cable. The sound is really bright and rich but gets muddy when I set the volume knob too high. It can pretty much make any sound I want it to produce.

I play Rock, Punk and Metal and this guitar is really good. I've been playing for over a year now and this is my second guitar, first electric guitar. I also have a Greg Bennett acoustic. I wish I had asked more about the knobs because it took me a while to know how to use it properly. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably buy it again. I really love this guitar, especially the headstock and the finish. I can't find anything to hate about this guitar. My favorite feature is it's Quilted top. I compared it to other Greg Bennett guitars which are the Avion and the Interceptor and ended up buying this one because it looked better compared to the other 2. I wish it had a tremolo bar and those locking tuners for dive bombing.

I haven't played live, but I know this guitar will withstand it. The hardware is okay but the strap buttons are troublesome. The strap slips out of most of the time, so I made an improvised strap lock out of plastic bottle caps.I've never been on a gig before but it'll probably do good live. I'll just bring extra strings just in case. The finish looks like it would last long and it doesn't seem to be thin at all.

It was set up fairly well. Some frets buzz but it's okay, I can hardly hear it when its distorted. The pickups are good, maybe because I've never messed with them before. Both the top and the bottom of the guitar is okay. The guitar contains no flaws, none that I could think of. The finish looks really beautiful. This guitar is perfect for me.

My Torino was made in Indonesia. I don't know when it was made though. The neck is thin and it's really comfortable to hold. It has 22 frets, Rosewood fingerboard and a Mahogany set neck.It's a modified SG that looks like a dual cutaway Les Paul and has a Quilted top. It has the Tune-O-Matic Bridge style. Passive electronics. 2 Volume and Tone knobs, 3-way selector with Duncan designed humbuckers. It uses Non-locking grover tuners and it came with a cable and an Allen wrench.

jerrybriardy
    Thanks for the advice Doug. I've tried adjusting the pole pieces, not really knowing what I was doing. I'll have another go at it.
    jerry.briardy
    I picked one up mainly because it was super cheap, $100 used. Beautifully made but the pickups, especially the bridge pickup is too muddy. There is no bite at all. Everything else is really high quality but that one problem... I have tried everything I can think of but cannot get a good treble out of it.
    doug.henninger
    Jerry: start by raising the bridge pickup to gert a strong sound. If it gets 'boomy' ... lower a couple of screw turns. Then adjust the polepieces, starting by raising the 'D' (the weakest wound string) to get more clarity and 'presence'. Sometimes the A and treble E also need to be raised. Just jot down 2 full up or 1 full down, etc. As you change a string's polepiece. Starting to raise them will heve to break the wax grip, so use a well fitted screwdriver and be careful not to mar the top! I did this process on a Fernandes Dragonfly X after a luthier setup and made the guitar sound easily 15-20% clearer and more harmonically rich. Most guys fear this, but don't you make that mistake. Reach for the tone!