Ultramatic UM3 review by Samick

Samick: Ultramatic UM3

Purchased from: Hermies Music Store

This guitar is awesome. From playing a shit ton of guitar this one is by far my favorite. The music style I play is a little harder using mostly using full step down or drop C. I run this through a DigiTech RP-150 into a Line 6 Spider Valve 212 amp I use DR medium gauge strings. It has a rich full sound on clean good for blues, rock, or country. With overdrive it has that classic rock feel to it. You can do any style of music with this guitar the possibilities are endless.

I play heavier music drop C mostly and with the stock pick ups it great with switched out distortion pickups it's amazing. I've been playing for 9 years I own a Samick Fast Back FB3, Samick all solid woods acoustic, Fender GC-12 acoustic (piece) Custom Hollow body Samick. I own a 92 Fender Tele. Which is on eBay right now, neck is way to thin. I'm not a fan of Fender or Gibson. There are a lot of manufactures out there that make awesome arched body guitars better than Gibson. In my book I've played a PRS there awesome. With this being set up properly and the distortion pick ups it's identical to that of a PRS. The body is a little lighter that being the UM3 is a thin line body. If this were stolen I would def. but another one. This is a love relationship, no cons. wouldn't change a thing.

I've played live many times. I always bring a back up, just a custom hollow body with Duncan pickups, grover tuners and a Samick 24 fret neck. Never had to use it. I've never had one problem with Greg Bennett guitars ever. The strap button are perfect size. PRS are a little large but no issues here. The finish is amazing heavy use and the finish is brand new, just polish it weekly and your fine.

The guitar was set up decent from the factory. But your always supposed to have it set up for you. The pickups were suited fine for any player. Bu with my style I went with the Duncan designed Distortion Pick up which are awesome if you use drop tunings which all my music is. I hate standard! There was not one flawy with the fret wire, the finish was perfect no runs from the glue or the clear coat. I switched out the Gold knobs for knurled chrome one and a chrome Humbucker covers, with a chrome 3-way toggle switch.

I bought the guitar in August of 07' and was built June of 07' Samick builds all there guitars in Indonesia. It has 22 frets with a wide neck and small neck similar of a PRS. It's an alder body with flame maple top. I have the Emerald Green color. The neck is mahogany and is a solid bound to the body. Finish is again the transparent Emerald green. Body style is a double cutaway, shallow/arched/thin body similar shape or a PRS Mcarty. Bridge is a stop tail piece with Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a one tone one volume and a three way selector. Pick ups stock are Duncan designed humbuckers. Tuners are non locking 14:1 ratio Groover tuner machines.

sambargun
    Well to be honest, I think Greg Bennett actually improved the designs of Samick. As for quality, its a personal opinion. I hear the opinions going both ways(good to poor). I have a Samick GB and have absolutely no complaints.....
    Ginger-les-tom
    very nice, does anybody know if samick are sold in the UK? cos ive never seen one before :s looks lush
    teo_huat
    every samick guitar i had played all are low end guitar.. not sure bout this one though..
    FionnRuadh
    why do you have to mention you hardly play in standard tuning like three times? why do u hate standard anyway?
    theacousticpunk
    Looks interesting, wish they made them before Samick went low-quality (i.e. Greg Bennet) because if its the same quality as my artist series guitar, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
    GuitarSheriff75
    Greg Bennett Guitar are very high quality. You can but a 800 dollar guitar and a 200 guitar or lower and all the low priced guitars will sound the same as they were intended for low end. And Cost really doesn't mean its a great guitar either. My friends Strat for 1800 sounds horrible compared to this guitar.
    GunLeatherGuy
    I've got one of these on the way and love the 3 I've played with. I've got Schecters inc. C1 classics, Jacksons, etc.....I won't say the UM is as nice as the others but it sure feels, feels and sounds well. The only thing I will have to see about are the DD pickups....not my favorite. I've replaced them with GFS, SD, Dimarzios and MotherBuckers.....all are better pickups.