Ultramatic UM3 review by Samick

Samick: Ultramatic UM3

Purchased from: Discount Music/Utah

I play mainly hard rock/metal and the DD pickups were ok at best. 2 years ago I would have loved them but have been spoiled lately by my other guitars. I replaced them with GFS Power Rails and now it's a whole new guitar. Play through an Ib mimx30, Rocktron 80w and B52 triple rectifier all tube 100w 3/4 stack. On the big amp you can sure hear a lot of difference in the way it sounds. All electronics are quiet. The variety of sound is great! What's amazing is you can go from the jazziest clean settings to death metal and this will do it all now. With authority. The 7 is with the DD pickups in it.

I've got a couple of other mid to high level guitars and this is easily comparable to most of them. The neck is Jackson thin but feels like a Schecter with great fret work. It's a very nicely made and thought out guitar. Those who say "Samick/Bennett stuff is poor quality" really has no clue! Or got a lemon, which is gonna happen with any maker from time to time. Overall I would give it a solid 8. And I'm not a 'give everything a 10" newbie. So it's a pretty solid rating.

The guitar would easily play Live. They use good stuff everywhere. Grover tuners, good switches and pots. So I don't anticipate any problems. I wouldn't use any guitar in a gig without a backup. Not even my EBMM Silhouette. Reliability is good thus far and Durability hasn't been tested yet. And I hope to not test it anytime soon!

It was a floor model at a guitar store so it wasn't set up that great. Mostly from the kids playing with it. Everything is great as far as the fit and finish. Everything is as it should be and functions flawlessly. After adjusting everything the action is very low with no buzz, the fit is excellent and the finish seems tough and looks very good.

Was made in 07 and in Indonesia. Which could be a lot of places! It's the typical mahogany/maple set neck combo construction, 22 frets with cream binding everywhere which I love! It's a PRS copy for the body shape which makes it thin and light. It's a TOM/spot tail pc bridge setup had DD pickups. 1 volume/1 tone and 3 way. Grover 18-1 tuners which are a classy touch.

mr. BiGG
    i myself own a pre switchover samick an old model and its beautiful wonderful gold floyd rose on it its amazing and with the stock pickups in it it still sounds sweet this seemed a bit disapointing as ive noticed modern samicks arent as... technical sure its made well but no coil tap no trem and only 22 frets id buy a second hand one... plus my god do they come in some crazy finish mine is just red flame maple but ive seen a purple faded splodgy one!!!! looked awesome but theyre rare... keep an eye out!
    TAweaver09
    I have to agree with guitarsheriff... I have a custom UM3. When I first played it I was amazed, even for a floor model, I also tried the TR3 torino but liked the sound and style of the UM better. Its a great feeling guitar, awesome for stage use, very light, but also its amazing for studio recording because of its excellent tone. USe this guitar on every recording by band has done. I have done some small updgrades, I switched out the Pups to real Seymour Duncan Sh-6 piick ups with a gold cover on the neck, gold grovers instead of the chrome and gold tone-pros. So now Its a freaking amazing guitar for 650, plus thr 180 in pick ups, 150 for bridge and 80 for tuners. so for a little over a grand it will blow away and american made guitar. I have been playing for 15 years.