Ultramatic UM3 review by Samick

Samick: Ultramatic UM3

I play everything from funk to Metallica with this guitar. It cleans up nicely for beautiful, somewhat shimmery cleans with a bit of chorus, and it distorts well and tunes down to drop C for even some As I Lay Dying. I personally am much more into a Van Halen-y sound, which it isn't great for. I'm considering switching out the pickups for Dimarzios when I get the time to do the work

I play a lot of blues-inspired hard rock, and it does great for it. I play it with a Spider III combo amp at the moment, simply what I've found to be most versatile, and it works great with the guitar. If something happened to this guitar, I would definitely replace it, and I'm even looking at a few other Samick guitars in the future. I was between this guitar and a Fender Strat HSS, but I chose this one. I'm still getting my perfect Strat soon, though. All in all, it's an awesome guitar!

This guitar has been gigged 10-20 times so far. It's been dropped, both on and off stage, and there is paint chipping, off the headstock, around the input jack, and the back, simply from being played for hours and hours a day. It's held up so far with few problems and I expect it to for quite awhile

I bought the guitar used, but even then, it was flawless when I got it. I had it set up once, simply because I got some buzz with thicker strings.

I'm not sure of the year it was made, but I believe Samicks are still made in Korea, aside from one Japanese factory. 22 frets, it's basically a PRS copy, but holds its own against a PRS. Duncan designed pickups are okay, and have worked for some basic stuff I've been playing. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch. Grover tuners. Mine came with a gig bag.

GunLeatherGuy
    TAweaver...If you paid 150$ for the bridge and 80$ for grover tuners....you need a new guitar store my friend. Grovers are 30$ anywhere you shop. Look around and quit getting ripped off!
    jerrybriardy
    I have one of these, a UM4, and love everything about it. Very comfortable, lightweight, sounds awesome on every setting. The tuners are fantastic. I use the tremolo a lot and it stays in tune. I had to set it up again as I use a very heavy string set (13's) and it was simple to tighten the bridge and lower the action, much easier than on my Strat. I love this guitar! I have an ESP that cost double what this one did but I prefer the Samick. The Floyd on the ESP holds the tuning better, but the Grover tuners are so easy to use, it is not a big deal to tune.