Warlock review by Samick

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Samick: Warlock

Price paid: A$ 233

Purchased from: Trademe

This guitar definately needs its buddy to sound good, my Line 6 IV amp. I got my guitar in the post, not expecting much out of it. I took it straight to my local music store and they changed the strings and tuned it for me. I was shocked at how nice it played after that. I play mostly rock and metal, and it sounds great. Solos sound awesome, but it's probably not the guitar for strumming or power chords.

I play heavy rock and metal, and this guitar is amazing for playing solos on. I've been playing for 6 years, but since I'm pretty broke I've never had many really cool guitars. This is definately my favourite guitar, but if it were lost or stolen, I don't think I would get it again. I would be really gutted, but probably save up for something better set up. I love this guitar, mostly because it is the coolest looking guitar I have ever seen!

It's a pretty hardy guitar, I reckon. I've never gotten around to getting the bridge clamped down, but I'm rough with it anyway and it's fine. I've dropped it by accident a fair few times too, and it hasn't gotten any new scratches or dints since it arrived at my door. I think it would withstand live playing, and I know can depend on this guitar for a long time.

I don't know a lot about this guitar, but when I got it I was happy with everything except the strings, which were a cheap and easy fix. The only problem is that the strings get rusty fast around the string locks and need changed every 6 months or so, which is more often than I'd like to. Everything else is satisfactory. It would of course be no match against a Dean or a Gibson or something awesome like that, but it's definately one of the best guitars for it's price I've ever played

Made in Korea since 1958. I'm not actually sure what model this guitar is, but the serial number is 2050428, if that tells you anything. It has a warlock body, and although my one has been custom painted with some mean skulls, it is just plain black with a creamy white line around the edge. The guitar features a Licenced Floyd Rose Tremelo and locking nuts. 25 frets. Also includes a 3-way selector and 3 control knobs.

halfj06
    for the money i think sammick makes a decent guitar.. my cheap strat knock off was better then my buddy's equally priced fender strat knock off (squire)
    r0ckth3d34n
    For some reason I like this guitar more than I like the B.C. Rich Warlock. Must be the inlays. 25 frets? That's pretty cool. How are the pups? I have a Samick acoustic that was probably $300 new, sounds amazing for a laminate top.
    Metalology
    Shinozoku wrote: Looks like somebody stuck a Samick neck on a BC Rich body :haha
    Nope, you can actually see 'Samick' written on the pickups if you look at the enlarged picture.
    Angel aka alaab
    espplayer400
    ^ i think he was reffering to the white that was painted on the bevels of the body. but i agree with everything else.
    srq89
    ' This should've been the review
    SeanX3187
    The^Unforgiven wrote: Why does this guitar only score a 5 feature-wise?
    because it has few features, sir. great review. he gives a low-middle end guitar a proper rating, not a hyped up 9/10 review for a $300 guitar. guitar IMO is ugly, but hey, it's not my thing, it's clearly the reviewer's, so if he likes it, awesome. just saying, awesome review.
    MonsterOfRock
    How do you make the strings last for 6 months? I usually use ernie ball super slinky, but i went with a set of dunlop strings for my LP, lasted about 5 months, broke a few weeks ago, but i wanted to break them sooo bad, coz it felt like shyt.
    Megalomaniac46
    That just about sums up everything I was thinking. +1
    ProgFolk12
    moparnut
    I've had three Samick Warlocks in my lifetime. I still own the last one. I saw the Warlock shape by Samick before I ever saw the BC Rich version. My current Warlock is the upper spec version with dual humbuckers, the 24 fret neck with locking nut and floyd rose. The paint job is the custom marbled black from factory. It is still one of my favourite guitars, it sounds awesome for both clean and metal playing and has a fantastic neck to play on. The action is low and fast without fret buzz. My plans for it are to restore it with a plain gloss black paint job, custom brushed stainless steel scratch plate and a set of sexy chrome Langcaster active humbucker pickups. Then it'll be an axe that BC Rich will have wished THEY copied! I've owned a Gibson Flying V, a Samick Flying V, an Epiphone Strat, a Kramer Super Strat and a few others not worth mentioning. The Warlocks I've owned were always in my favourite list. The one I have now I love to pieces and will never part with it. If you've got one of these things and it's set up right, you have a great guitar in my opinion. I would rather have my Samick than a bronze or platinum series BC Rich any day.
    King ofKumbucha
    xicetraex wrote: Derp de derp? B.C. Rich = Garbage. 'Nuff said.
    Derp de derp You've never played a custom B.C. Rich.
    kroket666
    so it's like a bc rich knock off??..... I thought the BC knock off where the bronze series :O but it looks kool though..
    EpiExplorer
    Give it a year, the spiky bits WILL come off. Should've got a V.. And who the hell is 'Samick' anyway?
    MrWeenie
    you need to change your strings more often than once every 6 months in any case. and its not the guitar that is making them rust. if a guitar can't play chords or powerchords very well then there is something wrong with the guitar. What good is it for solos if you can't play the rest of the song?
    Realityburn
    Most people don't realize that half the guitars sold by the big name companies were actually manufactured by Samick. They're technically the biggest guitar company in the world, just most of the stuff they produce doesn't have their name on it.
    VonLeon
    Hey I dig my old ass Warlock. Its taken th beating of a lifetime! I've had mine 15 years maybe more now and its played some ov th most brutal shows. I am pleased with my gat. It aint quite th same model as this one reveiwed, it has 2 single coils an a bridge humbucker. standard strat style floating bridge, 5 way pickup selector,1 volume,2 tone pots. it is definately up for a visit to a gat specialist, but it keeps on grindin an thats what counts. Ps. th strings thing is a bit silly dude! C'mon. These gats are affordable an they look brutal! an ya dont hav to stick to black! Rainbows all the way!!!
    Akiel
    Angel aka alaab wrote: ProgFolk12 wrote: 1) It has 24 frets 2) The creamy white line is called binding 3) A line 6 spider makes NOTHING sound good 4) Most strings sound pretty poor after about 1/2 months, and they feel pretty poor too this ^ i doubt reviewer has been playing 6 years, you have to know more about guitars after 6 years!
    Maybe he's not too serious about guitars?