Avenger review by Schecter

Schecter: Avenger

Purchased from: Sound Control

This guitar is built for metal, from the shape to the sound, the DD humbuckers make no excess noise, and you can get a real crunchy sound from it. I am running it through a Vox AD50VT and if you want rock and metal then this guitar is perfect. It also has some pretty nice cleans, although it's not great for bright clean sounds, but surprisingly I can still get some warm bluesy sounds from it, which is just enough for me. I suits my music style just fine, with great chunky riffs, and the pinch harmonics sound wonderful thanks to the DD humbuckers.

This suits me perfectly. I play lots of heavy stuff, and some classic rock, like GN'R, AC/DC and Hendrix, as well as a helathy does of Rage against the Machine, and I can safely say that this guitar suits me perfectly, I get all the sounds I want from it, and it made a welcome replacement for my old guitar. I love the shape of this guitar, it caught my eye as soon as I saw it in the shop, I justy had to play it. It did puzzle me at first as to how comfortable it would be to play, but in both the sitting and standing position, it's really comfortable. This axe has everything I need (for now). I would definetly get another if it were stolen.

I haven't played live with this yet, although it's taken a lot of playing and travelling around, the hardware seems durable, and I doubt it would fail me. The strap buttons are really good, they are fixed on tightly and unlike my Strat, they don't seem like they will need contsant tightening. The finish is top notch, and I reckon it would take a lot to cause any major damage to it.

When I picked this guitar up, everything was in brilliant shape, the laminated top had recieved no scratches, and the pickups were fine, as was all the other details. No dodgy wiring or missing parts. The only thing I really needed to take care of was the fretboard, which was terribly dirty, I assumed that it had been in the shop for a long time, and undergone extensive playing from the staff, but that was nothing a quick clean didn't solve.

Purchased in 2006 from Sound Control Birmingham (reduced from 399 in the sale). I don't know exactly when it was made, but as far as I know Schecter discontinued this model (Diamond Series Avenger) when they brought out the Hellraiser. It has a mahogany body, set in neck with 24 jumbo frets, and a rosewood fretboard. The inlays are trapezium, similar to the Tempest model. There were 2 finished to choose from, gloss black, and Vintage sunburst, I opted for sumburst, and it has a cream binding. The tuners are Grover locking tuners, which are brilliant, and the pickups are 2 humbuckers, Duncan Designed HB103, and you can Switch between them with a 3-way selector.

Revenger#11
    this looks like a nice ax, was gonna get one but ended up getting a 6 string Schecter Revenger
    dukedude18
    SchitzoJoe wrote: This is a decent guitar, but I'm getting the Synyster Standard guitar. Same body shape, but it has Deathbat/SYN inlays and silver pinstripes. Synyster Custom is $300 more, just for ebony fretboard and custom Duncan Invader humbuckers. No thanks, I'll spend $300 on a new amp instead.
    You can't compare the Syn standard to the Hellraisers. They cost a lot because they are made in the U.S as opposed the Hellraisers being made in Korea. Also, the syn standard has a bolt on neck on top of all the other negatives you wrote about. Also, the Syn Custom is a much better guitar than the Syn Standard. It has custom invader pickups, a better fret board, and a set neck. In my opinion, the hellraiser guitars blow both of these guitars away.
    A7XRemenissions
    treysurfs
    get the hellraised avenger - its awesome. don't get the regular one the styling on this is so sweet. the regular one looks way too boring for the type of music it plays. if your having a problem find it just go to a guitar center and they'll order it for you. i bought a gloss black one and love it.
    Aziraphale
    A7XRemenissions wrote: wow i seen no reviews on the C-1 artist limited! I really want that guitar but i have no idea if the JB's could handle metal such as some a7x stuff.
    Zacky uses JB pickups, so yeah, they can handle a7x stuff So does for example Mike Amott of Arch Enemy, and there definately is no shortage of metal there :p
    dukedude18
    KsE_505 wrote: This guitar is amazing, but get the regular hellraiser instead becuase it has the same color same pickups same neck and same price but it has cooler body shape and better head 2 volumes and its neck thru. Its a way better choice
    I couldn't agree more. This guitar is great, but the c-1 version is amazing. I had the choice between an avenger or a c-1 hellraiser and the c-1's body (to me) is way cooler. Also, a c-1 hellraiser is availible with a floyd rose. (That's what i got.)
    barcelona_rov
    ticklemeemo
    its strangely attractive. the rear does look funny, but it would be worse without it, dont you think?
    h0lyd1v3r
    I just bought this a week ago. It sounds good. It looks good. Thats all i can say. Um... the only problem is the first 3 frets on the high e string buzz. How do i get that to stop? Is it just Changing the action? Please help
    006schecter
    barcelona_rov wrote: thats a really bad review, they werent discontinued and they have EMGs, not duncan designed or maybe they ripped him up, by giving him a altered guitar(changed their pickups and everything)
    No.. this review is of the OLD diamons series avenger, with duncan design pickups. EMG's are part of the newest range of avengers, the Hellraiser Avenger. So, it's actually a pretty accurate review.
    Stillicide
    Thanks for writing this up, I've been interested in Schecters for awhile now.
    EyesOfIsis
    they reintroduced the avenger and called it the revenger, its under the diamond series. It is satin black. But unfortunately does not have locking tuners, but does come with active duncan designed pickups. you can get a string through TOM bridge or a floyd rose. Now you KNow hahah
    SchitzoJoe
    SynGates7X
    im looking for a black one of those...i cant find one anywhere, and its really annoying...why they hell did they have to discontinue it
    ready4thebreak
    I think the revenger(the guitar's precusor that had a reversed boydy on it) was much better. They were cheaper and you could get them in 7-string or 6-string. And they had ducan's on them. And they did look so damn goofy like the avengers do. I dont know if LTD and schecter's are MADE in the same factory cuz I know Schecter is run by MIT. So the parts might be made in the same factory(like 90% of all guitars are produced in SAMICK's Factory) but I'm pretty sure their assembled here. And LTD's (not ESP, those are made in the U.S.) are shi++y for the price. They charge so much for ANY guitar with their damn EMG knockoffs that sound like shi+
    Fargalas
    What? They're not discontinued, last I checked. They made these a while ago, but they've reintroduced the Avenger. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I know the Avenger is on Schecter's website.
    peever
    i love how most reviewers (not this one mind you)think that schecters are set up in a custom shop, and how they think esp's arent as good as schecters yet their made in the same factory, and owned by the same asian conglomerate.
    006schecter
    Fargalas, Im pretty sure that shecter stopped producing this model, after they released the Hellraiser Avenger, their website only has the hellraiser series, not diamond series avenger. I dont know why it shows a picture of the hellraiser either
    alienboy18241
    The hellraiser avenger is a diamond series guitar. But yes, the plain old avenger was stopped once the hellraiser avenger started. Go to ebay, you should be able to find one or two there.
    Vornik
    Peever, Schecter guitars are made in Korea and put together in the United States. They also state fairly clearly that they are not affiliated with ESP. I take their word for it over yours.
    6_6_6_1_syn
    SynGates 7X...You might want to check out the synyster standard and custom models (they're on the schecter website) They have an avenger body type and the quality is amazing. Custom invaders, Floyd Rose, 24 Jumbo Frets, Pinstripe design, Gothic Cross/Deathbat/SYN inlays, etc.
    KsE_505
    a7xfretshredder
    I`m pickin up a Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser model Like Syn plays here before too long. I love the Avenger body. Along with the finish. It`s quite the bada** guitar..A7X 4ever
    GryphonDS
    i agree with Vornik Schecter guitars are made in south korea and are set up in the US. the only way you can get one thats made in the US is to get a custom made guitar. AND ESP and SCHECTER ARE NOT AFFILIATED!
    schecter101
    All Schecter's rock! My Schecter C-1 Elite Diamond Series allways fit my style. Smooth and clean for the soft parts in my songs, but hard and crunchy for the headbangin'distortion parts.
    Weybl Himself
    What an ugly-ass guitar, it looks like a super strat with a tumor on it's arse.
    8FootSativa_666 wrote: Paul uses PRS and the other current gutarist uses Ibanez. Do Cradle Of Filth Use Schecters??
    Counterpoise
    Cradle uses ESP. But Cradle blows so who cares. And nice guitar...I guess...I don't get the mention of ESP though, as ESP/LTD rapes Schecter in every way.