Avenger Hellraiser review by Schecter

Schecter: Avenger Hellraiser

Purchased from: 77 guitar shop

This guitar is supposedly made for music leaning to heavy gain genres, and I must say it does its job properly. The EMG humbuckers delivers rich and heavy tone perfect for heavy metal. However it sounds just as well when paying clean tones or lighter toned music. By selecting single pickup config using the push pull knobs, the guitar produces very smooth and clear clean notes. I use a Marshall half stack during jamming sessions and a small spider 6 (line6) for practice. The pickups do get a little too sensitive when volume is set high and feedback is very common. I play from A7X to Boy Like Girls, From The Devil Wears Prada to classical songs, and the Hellraiser has handled all well.

As mentioned, I play everything from metal to classical and the guitar never fails to impress. I have been playing for around 6 years and own a Hamer electric as well as a Cort acoustic. I am very pleased with the Hellraiser. If it was stolen I would continue using Schecter Hellraiser, but probably not the avenger. I love everything about it except its weight and slightly large frame. I chosen it even after trying out a usd2000 Fender and usd3000 Gibson Les Paul. I strongly recommend this guitar, it quality far exceeds the price.

The string retention is excellent and even after leaving it untouched for a month is a changing temp room (off and on of air conditioner) it does not go out of tune. I have owned the guitar for more than a year and I have never gotten a broken string. It will survive any sort of live playing, no matter how heavy. Strap buttons feel solid and have never failed. I am confident to go on a gig w/o a backup. The finish is good although scratches are easy and frequent polishing is needed to retain the shiny look.

The finish is excellent with a smooth joint between neck and body. However this means that the neck cannot be removed from the body. The action is quite low when I first got it. The top and bridges are all done well. There were no significant flaws with the guitar. The only complain I have is that the guitar is really heavy and playing with a band with it gets very tiring and painful on the shoulders.

- Made from: Korea - Neck: mahogany, 24 jumbo frets - Finish: satin - Body style: cutaway? I have no idea what its called - Bridge style: tune-o-matic fixed bridge - Pickups: active, EMG 89, 85 double humbuckers - Controls: two control knob (push pull) for selecting b/w single coil and humbucker - Tuners: locking grovers - Accessories: a good gig back is difficult to find due to its unique shape. I use a bass gig bag.

LostKeys
    ippystratman wrote: Ashir Daniel wrote: Yeah, no way does that touch an Ibanez Prestige. Schecter is an alright guitar - Jeff Loomis plays and endorses em, he's the only "real" guitar player that uses them. I wouldn't buy one, but hey - get what you like. sorry dude IMO ibanez has got to be THE most overrated guitar in the world. I cannot get into one at all, personally i would have to say they are for litle kid who wanna play death metal and look cool and belike OMG I HAV A IBANEZ IM SO GREAT \m/. i have yet to play this particular schecter but it looks beautiful and i will have to try i out. the damien v is one of the best guitars i have ever played though, it does everythin better than ibanez. but hey thats just my opinion, everyones entitiled to their own
    I seriously doubt you've ever played an Ibanez Prestige.
    LostKeys
    Not only that, but that's actually how I see Schecter. Unless you're talking about their high end MIJ models, which you almost never see in the U.S (Sadly, as those are amazing instruments), then really Schecters seem to be what every other EMG riding "bR00talz" metal playing teenager seems to use. Or if you get really bad....B.C Rich.
    wylde1994
    Is this better than a prestige Ibanez ? (say, 2570 model for example)
    The Ibanez will have a nicer and faster neck cuz thats their strong point in my opinion. Schecter tend to use better woods for the bodies of their guitars i.e. Mahogany over Basswood that is often used by Ibanez. As a result the Shecters will have a nicer, richer sound and will have more sustain over an Ibanez. Tbh try both of them out back to back through the same amp and see what u think?? as in the end its ur call
    Mind_Reader7
    I bought a Schecter Damien 7 FR elite recently. $1200 was the cheapest price here in Australia. Ordered it from THomann (German site), for $850 WITH shipping, and a spare set of strings.
    Shornifier
    Looks like a Schectified Mockingbird. Curious what it sounds like. Can't believe that guy is using EMGs to play boys like girls...