Blackjack SLS C-7 P Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 01/27/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Schecter: Blackjack SLS C-7 P
One of the most comfortable 7-strings I've ever played - if you're most likely into heavier forms of metal, this guitar is a great match, especially for the price.
 8.1
 7.8
 8.4
 9,836
review (1) pictures (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Blackjack SLS C-7 P Reviewed by: a7x julian, on january 27, 2015

Purchased from: Sweetwater.com

Features: Korean made made guitar, bought as a refurbished with very minor cosmetic flaws. There was also some really bad fretbuzz, not sure if that was because it's a refurbished or simply because. Moving along the guitar is mahogany, 3 piece maple neck, black satin finish, Schecter locking tuners, ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, set neck with ultra access, string through with TonesPro tom bridge, volume and tone knob with coiltap option, 3-way pickup selector switch, 26.5 scale length, and Seymour Duncan Full Shred in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. It's a 2014 model. // 8

Sound: I was initially very underwhelmed with the bridge pickup. The Seymour Duncan Full Shred did not sound tight to me. It sounded muddy and too bassy. I eventually switched it out for a Duncan Distortion 7 and it was a huge improvement. The neck pickups sounds great! As someone who plays many forms of music from jazz, classical, metal, etc, This guitar did everything I needed it to in terms of sound. The coiltap option made for very nice sounding clean. The initial bridge pickup should definitely be changed in my opinion, but after doing so this guitar will sound great! One thing I didn't like was the overtones I would get from the string coming out of the guitar to the bridge, I had to buy a jimmy clip to stop the strings from vibrating while I played tight distorted rhythms. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it had bad fretbuzz problem, I had to put in $100 for a guitar tech to level the frets. After that the buzz was pretty much gone and the frets felt much better. It played very well and the satin finished neck made for very smooth playing. I'm not sure if this was because the frets were sanded down, but I wasn't able to go as low as I wanted too with the action. On my Ibanez Prestige RG652FX I can go very low with my action and not have any buzz, but if I try to go with the same action on this guitar it will definitely have buzz problems. But all in all, it's a comfortable guitar. I wish they had gone with a different bridge option because of the overtones, also because I prefer hipshot bridges. The flaws that were listed could have simply been because it was a refurbished guitar, so I'll give Schecter the benefit of the doubt. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've played with this guitar live many times and it is great. It feels comfortable standing up and sitting, hardware is great, and the finish is solid. I've never abused it much since I baby my guitars to death so I can; t truly tell you how reliable and durable it is, but from my experience this is a very solid and road worthy guitar. It has a nice weight and the Schecter locking tuners hold their tunning surprisingly well. Of course because it's a satin finish sweat stains will tend to stay unless you wipe them off with a sort of cleaning liquid, water will also due I guess but I've never used anything other than some Dunlop guitar cleaner. // 9

Overall Impression: If you're looking to buy this guitar you're most likely into heavier forms of metal. This guitar is a good match for the price of $899 new. One of the most comfortable 7-strings I've ever played, although I will say my Ibanez Prestige RG652FX does feel much more comfortable, being that I can lower the action and have no buzz. If this guitar were stolen I might look into other options, such as the KM7 or the other Schecter 7-strings. Mainly because of this guitars bridge pickups, and bridge. The Schecter Elite series are also a good alternative to look into. My favorite feature is the lovely satin finish with white binding, also the gorgeous 12 fret inlay of a skull. My least favorite thing about it was it's initial fretbuzz, inability to have the action too low, and initial bridge pickup. // 8

Comments