C-1 Blackjack ATX FR review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Blackjack ATX FR

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Bendigo

I play mostly metal and hardcore styles of music and this guitar was made for it, the active pickups realy make a difference when playing bone crushing chugs and breakdowns and even when doing solo work it's cuts through and you get an amazing tone even when in the bridge pickup position. I'm using a Marshall AVT 150h with a 4X12 cab(not sure on brand but it has celestions) I was using a Boss metalzone distortion pedal with my old guitar but haven't found the need yet with this one it has plenty of bite without it. the guitar itself can make all types of music come alive like punk rock sounds such as Blink 182 and New Found Glory. Clean this guitar is quite good, the neck pick pickup makes for a really fat tone. it's not realy noisy at all but it will feedback if you sit right infront of ur amp with gain and volume right up.

As I said I play mostly metal and whatnot but I branch out into other styles when I get bored but so far it's perfect for my prefered styles of playing. I've ben playing about 5 years now I also have an ltd viper 50 and this guitar destroys it in every way my favourite feature is definetly the pickups, for the price I paid you would'nt find a better guitar for the style of music I play. I compared this with a few other guitars like an Ibanez rg and ESP ltd h1000 deluxe but they just did'nt have the features this guitar had and were 2 or 3 hundred dollars more in the shops than this was. If someone stole it I would probably hunt down the people responsible and rip them a new one but failing that I would definetly buy another one of these no question.

It would definetly stand up to a live show, it looks as if it will last for years of playing without flaws but like anything if well looked after it will last I would'nt play it without a backup unless I had to but I think it would be reliable enough. the strap buttons are solid but I'll change them for strap locks once again not a big deal just personal preference.

The guitar was set up well the action suited me fine not too low but low enough pickups were fine. the finish on this guitar was flawless even though it was made in korea it looks amazing and if it wasn't printed behind the headstock you would'nt pick it at all. I would have liked a slightly fatter set of strings but that's not the manufacturers fault at all it's just personal preference.

This guitar was made in korea I believe but is set up and checked in the U.S.A it features a set neck with 24 frets and Ultra access design it has a string thru body with a tonepros bridge it's also got grover tuners and a set of semour duncan blackouts. Pickup selection is through a 3 way Switch and has 3 knobs (vol/vol/tone) the body and neck are both mahogany with an ebony fretboard it also features a tusq saddle which is meant to increase harmonic sustain by about %16 over a bone saddle. It's aged white finnish looks realy cool too!

Amuro Jay
    Andragon wrote: Gorgeous axe. Schecter is quickly becoming my favorite.
    And for good reason. These guitars are teh secks
    korman7
    wow....you call it blackjack....which is a sick name...and they inlay is a broken arrow? wwhat the ****
    Shor-T Zero
    I think the people that are having a problem with the inlay design should check out the new Schecter 2009 models. An ace of spades inlay? Hell yeah.
    decayingdave
    This is the same as most schecters, nice hardware but a bland appearance. This is a nice review, but the guitar's got no identity - and for a heavy guitar brand that competes with ESP, BC Rich and Dean, schecter's not at the top of the pile as far as I'm concerned. Nice review, though far too over-zealous for my liking, you did well - Shame the guitar sucks!
    jenjef
    For what it is it's well worth the money. But if you're looking to buy a superstrat-type guitar for heavy metal or great soloing, there are better guitars out there. Try ESP, try Ibanez, try Jackson. But this one definately is not more than a 'good' guitar.
    xshredder01x
    It took me sooooo long to get this guitar. I ordered it and it took 6 whole months to get. thanks for the review it really helped in my choice this is a 10.
    twoonie2
    Just picked one of these up yesterday (Non FR model).. and absolutely love it!!! fantastic all around.. you will not be disappointed!!! If metal is your game .. this is "THE" guitar for it!! WOW!
    CigarKid
    CigarKid
    Hakael
    CigarKid wrote: I have a suggestion about the "inlay". First, I recently purchased one of these and I must say it feels, plays, and sounds unreal! The neck feels like a Gibson Les Paul and it has almost as good a sustain (almost). The sound is nice and deep solid sounding and the action is nice and low with little to no buzzing. This guitar is perfect for playing stuff like: AC\DC, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin ect. I guess people like it for Metal also, but I don't play Metal. I'm 46 and Metal just doesn't do it for me. This is by far the best bang for the buck in guitars of this type without a dought. Note to all: The "active" Seymour Duncan pickups on this guitar are only available on the 2008 model. The 2009 pickups are Non-Active. Now, back to my Suggestion about the "inlay". Instead of using a Broken Arrow or Oversized Playing Cards on the 12th fret, since the guitar is called "Blackjack and it is the Diamond Series", Why not use "Diamonds for the inlay. Or even Hearts, Diamonds, Clubs, Spades. I recommend that the people in charge at Schecter do more research on what people like cosmetically. You guys definitely got it right with the rest of the guitar.
    The 2009 model DOES have actives. Keep in mind that Schecter has two "families" of Blackjack guitars. The Blackjack Series has non-active Seymour Duncans (and a great set at that). The Blackjack ATX series(which is what this review is for) has the active Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups, which is still available in the 2009 model. The ATX version also differentiates itself by the use of the single "lightning bolt" marker on the 12th fret.
    crowdome
    I'm in London and am looking to buy a Schecter (either this guitar or the Hellraiser C-1 FR), where can I get a Schecter? Is there any retailers in England or do I have to order online, because the cheapest I've seen is about 700