C-1 Classic review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Classic

Purchased from: BMusic

The neck pickup has tonnes of warmth and nice, rich lows while the bridge pickup has plenty of bright, crisp highs. Playing clean I found that the neck positions gave the best response. The bridge postions were a little too twangy. But overall plenty of sustain and resonance. Throw in a touch of chorus and reverb and this bad boy just sings. Playing distorted with the selector all the way in the bridge postion, this baby just rocked. Heaps of guts low down with some really nice sharp edges up high. No problems in the neck position either. Gives a nice, growly rythmn sound with a good deal of bottom end grunt.

My main style of music is pop/rock so this guitar is suited beautifully to what I play. For my live rig, I play through a Marshall JMP1 with a Boss GX700 and Alesis EQ in the effects loop. I gave this guitar a thorough workout and it came through in flying colours. I have been playing guitar for 16 years now and am amazed at the quality of this guitar for its cost. I have payed substantially more for previous other brand guitars but I can't go past this one. I would easily recommend this instrument to anyone and would definitely replace it if it was lost/stolen. Without doubt my favourite feature of this guitar is it's amazing quilted maple finish and the deep blue colour. Having said that though, the playability, sound, value for money and overall quality of this guitar can't be beaten. Get one!

My only concern with this entire guitar is the quality of some of the hardware. The volume and tone knobs and the selector Switch seem a bit cheap and nasty which is a real shame considering the overall quality of the rest of the instrument. One of the tuning posts on the headstock was also a bit loose compared to the other five which was a bit dissapointing. I don't understand why they would use substandard hardware on these few things, when for a few more dollars (and not that many mind you) they could've made this guitar pretty much flawless. I have allready changed the strap buttons to Schaller Strap Locks but that is purely because I insist on using them on any guitar I own, but the originals would do fine.

Straight out of the box this was hands down the best guitar I've ever played. The action was spot on (suprisingly) and the only thing I had to adjust was the intonation on the low E. Mine had a "Setup in USA" sticker on the back cavity cover and these guys clearly know what they're doing. I have 13 guitars in my collection, all of which have been set up professionally but this one don't need nothing! This guitar travelled all the way from the USA to Australia and all it needed straight from the shipping box was a tune and I could've played with it live.

I won't go over the hardware specs cos you can get them from the Schecter site. Mine is the transparent blue finish and looks absolutely amazing. The quilted maple finish is truly stunning and easily comparable to the finishes on many of the PRS Custom 22S I was looking at buying previously - and for considerably less financial outlay. Granted the C1 has a veneer top over mahogany as opposed to a solid quilted maple top, but from a visual perspective it is still a fantastic looking instrument comparable to the high end dollar guitars out there. The natural binding is also a nice touch compared to the "stand out" white of other more expensive brands. The "vine of life" inlay is also visually stunning. I also love the extended access of the neck joint. This is an extremely well balanced guitar with a great "natural" feel. It "sits" well either hanging on a strap playing upright or across your leg seated.