C-1 Classic review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Classic

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

I play modern aggressive rock and this suits me just fine. I use it in front of a Boss GT-6, which will give me any sound in the Boss library that I'm looking for. The amp I use is a Randall R100SC 2X12 combo. This is my live rig and I bypass the preamps on the GT-6 in order to not sound too over-processed. This allows the p/u's to really Shine and reflect their tone. The bridge is bright without being harsh, and the neck is full without being muddy. This is the most popular and probably perfect p/u combination available in the aftermarket today. When you pair that with the features of the the C-1, you can get pretty close to any sound you want. Play country? Done. Blues? Done that too. This set up can do it all. I've tried to find a setting that these features cannot do and so far there are none. The only complaint I have is that so far the coil tap has dissappointed me. The p/u output drops dramatically when you select the single coil sound, this is frustrating because I can plug my Strat in on the same settings and get a similar output as a dual humbucker configuration. So, no great score for you there.

Like I said, I play aggressive modern stuff. I've been playing for about 10 years now and gig out constantly. I own/have owned a Fender Strat, Epi V, Dean ML, Gibson Sonex, ESP Horizon, and a few oddball things I picked up along the way. While this is not the most expensive guitar I have owned (read: "best" to some people), it is definitely one of the best all around. It has the flash and features that I wanted and the price tag to go along with it. If it were stolen I would definitely have to buy another, not that I would want to. However, I did do my homework and compared this to the Ibanez SZ, Fender Showmaster HH, PRS SE CE/Singlecut, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Gibson Les Paul Natural Mahogany, ESP LTD H-1000 and assorted others in the price range as well AS all of Schecter's C-1 models. And honestly, it was between this one and the white C-1 Elite, but the classic came with the duncans and I would have eaten the price difference in installing the pickups that I wanted in the first place. This is the best buy you can make for a touring/gigging guitar. But if you're one of those people Who get all hung up on what is printed on the headstock, well, I can't stop you from overpaying.

This guitar was built to be played. It is as solid as a rock and I believe will stand the test of time. I've owned the guitar for about a month now and my band plays 2-3 shows a week. This thing holds up. The strap buttons are solid, and deep, because I had to remove them to install the strap locks. But the gold hardware will fade in time, I'm confident in that. I sweat all over the place on stage, so whatever, I can't avoid it. I normally gig without a backup, like an idiot, so let's hope there are no problems in the future.

I was skeptical, I was told my guitar would ship 1/2 step down from 440hz and would be playable right out of the box. Schecter really hit the nail on the head. The guitar arrived in almost perfect 1/2 step down, tuned right up and stayed there. The action, intonation, and all other relevant stuff was done right. I didn't have to do anything other than plug it in to make sure the electronics worked properly. The strings were even new.

I got an '06 model with antique amber finish (I think that's the "official" name of the color). You all know the specs by now, and the features are really too many to list. This isn't a definitve review, after all, only my opinion. But the features are there and are great for the price range, which is why I bought the guitar in the first place. For the most part, Schecter has really stepped up to the plate on the features, except for the coil tap (see next section).