C-1 E/A review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 E/A

Purchased from: Local Guitar Retailer

Run through a decent amp (for me, a Marshall), this guitar can create a myriad of sound. Despite what some might say, the Piezo gives it a surprisingly good accoustic quality. The mag pickups, however, leave a bit to be desired. "Duncan Designed" is not quite Seymour Duncan. The sound can be a bit muddy, and the 3-way toggle doesn't do a whole lot. But with that said, the pickups are not bad. This guitar can hit everything from an accoustic melody to a full bluesy sound to an agressive distortion. The piezo and mags can also be combined or played seperately, allowing for new tonal possibilities. And hell, there's something oddly satisfying about playing the piezo through distortion.

I play blues, classic rock, and metal, and this guitar is perfect for them all. With the mags and piezo, it can conquer just about anything you can throw at it. Now, I haven't been playing an incredibly long time, but I'm an avid guitar player who's done his homework. This (especially compared to larger companies like Gibson and Fender) is a definitively good deal. It would not have surprised me to see a company with more name recognition take the C1 E/A model and sell it for $1400 (or more). When I put my order in for this guitar, I ended up waiting a little over 2 months. During that time, I was constantly checking reviews on Musician's Friend (which had, up until then, all been positive), and was surprised to see a few poor and mediocre reviews pop up. Fortunately, playing the guitar has brought peace to my mind. It is as good, if not better, than the positive reviewers' praises. With a pickup change (possibly a SD JB and Jazz combo), the full glory of this instrument would be unleashed. Bravo to Schecter for making such a fantastic guitar at such a great price.

I haven't had this guitar very long, so I'm somewhat unqualified to speak about durability. However, one can normally tell when one is holding a good guitar. In my hands, this thing just feels solid. The hardware is very nice, and everything is securely how it should be. I wouldn't use it without a backup during a gig, but that's just because, well, you never know what could happen.

Fortunately, the local shop that I ordered this guitar from has specialists on hand that check the guitars through and through and perform any needed adjustments. So by the time I got it, pretty much everything was perfect (from action to pickup height to tuning). And, with that in mind, this guitar (cosmetically) is flawless. As far as the finish goes, wow. Quite possibly one of the greatest finishes I have ever seen on a guitar. In my humble opinion, better than the high-end Les Pauls and PRS models. The quilted maple top (I chose the dark Vintage sunburst finish) is slightly more brown than in catalogs and on websites, but that doesn't detract at all from the appearance. A stunningly beautiful peice of wood, to say the least.

A quick rundown of the features: - Made in Korea, 2005 - 22 jumbo frets - Set neck (25.5" scale) - Quilted maple top - Mahogany body - Mahogany neck - Rosewood fretboard - Semihollow Strat style body - TonePros bridge w/stop tailpeice - 2 Duncan Designed HB-102 humbuckers (passive) - Piezo pickup system in bridge (active) - 4 control nobs (1 volume and 1 tone each for mag pickups and piezo) - Grover tuners - Cable included.