C-1 E/A review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 E/A

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play through a 100 watt Fender 2X12 combo. This is a solid state amp. I almost always run through either a Pod XT Live or a Yamaha Magicstomp multieffects pedal. The amount of sounds I can get from this guitar is amazing. Whether I choose a Dual Rectifier amp model on the Pod or use the piezo pickup, the guitar handles it beautifully. For the most part I play alternative/metal stuff, anything from Incubus to Killswitch Engage. I also play rhythm guitar and sing in my band, Serenade (check us out on MySpace.com). I use it for simple jazz comping as well, just flick the 3 way selector to the neck position, turn down the tone knob a bit, and add a splash of piezo, and you are ready to fly to the moon with Sinatra. I do have a bit of a problem with the magnetic pickups however. Though the bridge is usable for high gain applications, the neck pickup muds up almost immediately. Now of course I realize that the neck pickup is never as high output as the bridge, but I think I should be able to do a fair amount of rythym playing on the neck pickup. I've been meaning to Switch the cheap Duncan Design pickups out for either a set of Seymour Duncans or a set of Gibson Burstbuckers, but I've been unable to come up with the funds. And plus, I've got a Schecter Blackjack 006 on the way, so I will use that guitar for most of my high gain stuff anyway.

I love this damn guitar, absolutely love it. I feel like it can cover basically anything. Like I said I've played everything from Frank Sinatra tunes to some riff heavy Killswitch Engage and Shadows Fall. The only thing I would change about this guitar is to put on a pair of good, name brand pickups instead of those Duncan Design ones. They just don't cut it if you are very serious about your music and your playing. If it were stolen, I would definitely purchase another just like it.

This guitar has withstood many many hours of stage time and will definitely continue to grace the stage in the future. I have gigged without a backup before, however, I really can't advise doing that to anyone. Theres just too much that can go wrong. The strap buttons are solid, however, I would never trust regular old strap buttons to hold, I fit all of my guitars with straplocks. This is in no way a bash on the Schecter though, she's given me no problems.

The factory setup was very acceptable. I used to play lead guitar in a band with this same guitar, and the action was a little too high for that. However, the band was finished before I got around to changing the action and now in my current band, it is perfectly suited for rythym guitar playing. I also play at local coffee shops very frequently and the guitar feels great for the whole singer, guitar player feel if that makes sense. The pickups were adjusted fine. The top on this guitar has received many many compliments. I own the see thru black model, and even on this finish, the top is so three dimensional and vibrant that I constantly receive comments on how beautiful my guitar is.

I purchased my Schecter C1 E/A new in the Summer of 2004. This was my first electric guitar after banging on a cheap Ibanez PF5 acoustic for a few years. It is a semihollow body guitar with dual Duncan Design humbuckers (with a ghost piezo system in the bridge), a mahogany body and neck, and a stunning quilted maple top. The fretboard has 24 frets and split crown inlays. Comes stock with sturdy grover tuners.