C-1 FR review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 FR

Purchased from: zzounds.com

I play metal, rock, and some other, more effects-heavy stuff. The stock pickups are very good, especially considering the price, and the instrument has fairly good sustain. Good tone, no complaints. The two volume controls are great because they allow you to use the selector as a kill Switch, a definate plus.

This is a great guitar for anyone of any level, beginner, intermediate, and even more advanced. Definately something you can buy and use for a long time. Very versatile, could fit in with a classic rock band or a metal band in a pinch. I've been playing for a couple years now and this is the first Schecter I've owned, and I gotta say I'm very happy with it. A few of my friends have other Schecter models and love them as well. If this guitar were stolen, I would debate buying another, although I think if I were to buy another Schecter, it would either be the Hellraiser FR or the Classic, just because they come with better stock pickups. Definately a great guitar though, and you can't really go wrong at less than 450 dollars. What I hear from many people, and I agree, is that Schecters tend to play like a guitar worth twice the money.

I've opened the thing up and it looks reeeally solid, the wood and the wiring/soldering. They didn't half-ass the inside of the guitar at all, nice shiny chromey hardware in there as well, even though you'll rarely see it. I would never gig without a backup, especially not when my main guitar has a Floyd Rose, but I would not expect this guitar to crap out on me, string breakage, perhaps. This axe is definately quality, there's nothing low-end about it what'soever, which is amazing considering the price.

Guitar was a mess when I got it because two of the springs popped off during shipping, but it seems like they probably set it up alright at their factory. The action is great on all strings except the 6th and the 5th, where it is just a little too high once you pass the 12th fret, and I still get a tiny bit of buzz on the first fret of the 6 string, which is a little irritating. However, I just got it a few days ago and as soon as I find either my tuner or my pitch pipe I'm going to mess with the bridge a little bit and see what I can do. The guitar's appearance is really great, much better than any of the pictures show. The gloss finish is quite nice, and like I said, the metal for the knobs, tremelo, and tuners looks really cool. I expected it to be a little bland, being an all-black guitar, but it really is awesome in person. I give it an 9 in this section just for the action as it currently is, but I think I'll be able to improve I just fine.

InsomniaRocks
    well as far as I know, mine is the latest model and it has a gloss black finish..the damien, which is similar, has a matte black finish though
    DimaSelivanov
    I got this guitar several months ago and I gotta tell you, it's awesome. The neck feels awesome, perfect for fast playing. The sustain is decent, though I'd expect it to be worse cause of the Floyd Rose. There's little to none fret buzz. Plays well on both heave distortion and clean. Awesome instrument.