C-1 Hellraiser review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Hellraiser

Works great with every music style I play, blues, rock, shred/thrash metal. I am currently playing it through a Boss ML-2 Metal Core and a Boss BR900-CD set for JC-120 amp modeling with chorus on one channel and flange on the other. Because of the over the top nature of the ML-2 pedal I have to dial back the tone and bridge pick-up vol. Once I got it adjusted properly the tone was almost ear-splitting and the pinch harmonics were full and rich thanks to the EMGs. I tested it out on a Line-6 2X10 spider before buying it and that's what sold me on this guitar over a Les Paul. On a clean channel the bridge pick-up offers a bright, cutting tone. Both middle and neck postions on the toggle offer a warm, thick tone.

I have been playing for about 13-1/2 years, and once I picked up this guitar my Washburn A-10 and Dean ML have been collecting dust on the other side of my guitar rack and I haven't even seen my Ibanez accoustic in god knows how long. If someone had enough balls to steal this guitar, they would have to gain citizenship in North Korea, otherwise they would be hunted, and on the receiving end of a beat down with a very heavy Dean ML. I went through a three year process comparing guitars to decide on the Hellraiser and do not regret it in the least. The little bit of adjustment I had to do was far exceeded by the rather small price tag. Schecter shows that the Hellraiser MSRPs for a little under a grand. If you can do your own guitar maintainence even that price seems more than fair when you look at comparable guitars with this pickup and hardware configuration.

I Play this guitar about 3-8 hours a day and have bounced it off a couple of very stationary objects and have yet to mark it or dent it that way. Despite several hits with a screwdriver, The black chrome hardware shows no damage at all. The wire cutters did take a small chip of finish off of the back of the guitar, but considering how hard I hit it, the ball point pen tip sized chip is a minute price to pay. Also, sweat and oil do not seem to phase the finish.

The guitar was set up quite well at the factory with a smooth and very fast action. The pickups required a little adjustment to get a nice full sound but the wiring was not an issue. You can see the change in grain on the quilted maple top, but have to study very closely to see the actual split in the halves. The finish itself was perfect, I had to ding it with a pair of wire cutters while changing strings to see any flaws what-so-ever. The set neck is another item I had to strain to see, especially after the salesman told me it was a neck-thru. Hey he's a drummer, what did you expect! I had to do some file work on the 17th fret, something I noticed at the store, but once again, the salesman didn't see it. I also had to adjust the truss rod to alleviate some fret buzz that presented itself after 3 weeks. Probably because of my crappy apartment, lack of insulation, and winter. Once I did that and set the intonation I was even more impressed.

I have owned this guitar for a little over a month now and absolutely love it. It was made in South Korea in 2006 I believe. It comes with EMG 81, and EMG 85 active pickups that just scream. 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard over mahogany neck, grover tuners. The body is mahogany with a quilted maple top in high lustre black cherry. Tonepros Tune-o-matic bridge. 3-way pickup toggle. 3 dial vol/vol/tone. I swithced out the strap posts with strap locks immediately. It also came with 3 allen wrenches.

DOMR28
    I dont know what your idea of shredding is but I have no problem whipping out Yngwie and eric johnson on this guitar, maybe you need a bigger pair of hands. I have tested several Ibanez guitars (3+ years worth of shopping around) and am not even impressed with the $1500 Satriani version. might be stepping on some toes here but Ibanez is still bottom of the shit pile for me!
    DOMR28
    Peppersteen wrote: Honestly, schecter stepped its game up with the EMGs, but its still a schecter. Its a great second guitar to buy, meaning the guitar you should buy after you've mastered the squire strat. The pickups give it some mean tone, but the action still leaves something to be desired. The neck is too fat to slice through the strings. Good rhythm guitar, poor shredding guitar. Get a prestige ibanez RGT 220.
    Pantera_Thrash
    I played a ton of guitars, mostly really high priced and big named guitars and as soon as i picked this gutiar up I loved it...it was loaded out in features but at the same time really cheap for all of its features. I ended up buying this guitar and it has not been a disappointment at all. Everybody that has played it loves it...I highly recomend this guitar to anyone.
    PlagueX1
    I have this guitar also. Amazing guitar. Simply great for metal. I have seen a picture somewhere of Jeff Loomis playing a C-1. He mainly plays C7 Hellraisers tho.
    AJCreary
    Thanks for that honest review... You sound like you know what you're talking about, and I almost bought one of these over a Les Paul.
    KY_GuitarMan
    For the price this is a great guitar. I'm really getting tired of overpriced guitars. It doesn't matter if anyone recommends it or not. It's all about preference. Schecter went the extra mile with this one. I've been under the hood and the electronics aren't cheap, it's built very well. I love the thick neck, it's for real shredders not posers that have to run to Ibanez skinny geeky guitars because they really can't play and need all the help they can get. Some of the most overrated guitarists in history play Ibanez. Anyway, for the price of this guitar I'd put it right up there with ESP's in the same range.
    wpearl1979
    Mind Kill
    wpearl1979 wrote: I've noticed a new version of this guitar that is $50 less than the older model, the newer model comes with the EMG 81TW and 89 pickups and is 50bucks cheaper. Just wanted to know why? the EMG81TW cost more then regular EMG 81 pickups.
    Yeah, I allso want to know why. Becouse the new pickups are even better. They are nearly exactly the same as the normal 81 nad 85 except that it can be tapped.
    andy3391
    i was wondering what was up with the new hellraiser too. its the updated 2008 version, i have the C-1 plus from schecter and it has the same two way thing on 1 of the humbuckers...they are dunken design on that though...i think i'm gonna get the hellraiser when i have enough $
    nicotine_13
    DOMR28 wrote: might be stepping on some toes here but Ibanez is still bottom of the shit pile for me!
    Ouch. Touche. Hahahaha. I think Ibane is great but this baby looks awesome.
    PoP N FresH
    yeah ok but first ill pull the money out of my ass.... this guitar looks fantastic, and im thinking of getting this or the hellraiser avenger. knocks any LTD's or jacksons ive played out the park, as well as the prs tremonti se, which i also came close to buying. schecter you have converted me, job well done sir.
    Mind Kill
    This guitar fecking owns. You can play anything on it! But it's best for Metal.
    altrokkr6
    aidandude wrote: i want the hellraiser avenger ssooooo bad
    AAAHHH DUDE ME TOO