C-1 Plus review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Plus

Purchased from: eBay - used

I play Classic style rock - both covers and originals. This guitar is perhaps my most useful for versality with useable tone selection, great crunch, and no noise. I use a Mesa Nomad as my main amp and add a Bad Monkey stomp box and a DigiTech delay. This guitar soars with tone.

These are subjectively the best guitar value on the market and I've always been surprised that more people aren't hip to them. It's a shame that Schecter has discontinued this model - the current C-1 Standard that has replaced this model isn't quite as nice. If I could change anything on this axe, I'd give it an ebony fretboard (hey, I just like ebony fretboards...) and a whammy. BUT, the value to cost ratio is simply too high to make any substantial changes. Grab one on eBay: they're inexpensive and you'll be very pleasantly surprised by it's tone, playability, and overall craftsmanship.

How does this axe stand up? As well as any other. This one is 8 years old and still rock-solid. Would I play it w/o a backup? No... B/c I NEVER play w/o a backup. Its not that I'l worried about the guitar failing, I just like a variety on the stage w/ me. Besides, you can't stop a show to restring should you break one, can you?

I'm no kid, over 50 years old and currently own many fine guitars: '08 PRS Custom 24 w/ bird inlays, '02 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus, '05 Gibson SG Supreme, '10 Gibson Les Paul Traditonal (my current fav), and a '93 Fender Strat Plus (U.S. Made). This inexpensive Shecter holds its own with all of them. It has ultra-fast action, the inlay and binding is solid and w/o chip-out. The frets are perfect and the Grover tuners do not slip (I have Grovers on all my Gibsons).

Here's what I love about this axe: if I were to deasign a guitar, how would I build it it? I'd start with a strat-style body but used maple over mahogany... And I'd carve the maple top. I'd use a neck through the body design for solid sustain. I'd make it a 24 fretter for a little extra reach. I'd come up with a classy fretboard inlay rather than using plain dots. I'd use binding along the body and neck as a finishing touch. And I'd use quality pups and hardware. When finished, I'd value my masterpiece around $3000.00. Fortuately for me, Shecter has done this already for around $500.00. I've owned 2 C+'s over the years: one I bought brand new '01 and then I bought this one on eBay. They are fabulous instruments.