C-1 Plus review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Plus

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

When I took the guitar home, I got to try it on my own amp, a Fender Champ 25 SE tube model, and realized I just made a great purchase. While the body shape is in the Strat style vein, the mahogany body and neck as well as the humbucking pickups end the similarities right there. I like classic rock, blues and poweer pop and this guitar can handle it all. To be fair, my other guitar is a Epiphone Special I with P90s and I love the sound of that guitar also. Rather than compete, the Schecter compliments my other guitar. The clean tone of this Schecter is impressive, just bright enough for great definition without getting brassy or nasally, with chords just ringing out. The pickups are Duncan Designed, and while not "Real Seymour Duncan Pickups," I am impressed with the sound of these pickups. I don't feel like I need to replace them as they sound great to me. Maybe I got lucky and these were made on a good day, I don't know, but they sound great to me. When I use pedals, a Boss DS1 or a Delta Labs Overdrive, I am in classic rock and power pop heaven. I am not a metal player so I really am not the person to say how this guitar would handle that sound, so I'm not going to even speculate. Some of the tone I have been able to get out of this guitar is in the vein of Thin Lizzy, UFO, Cheap Trick and others in that style. Being that the guitar is 9 years old, and has been used, I am going to have to clean the volume knob for the neck pickup as it can get a little scratchy when adjusting the volume, but I have had this happen on other guitars that I have had. Overall, I am very pleased with this guitars sound.

I like to play classic rock, power pop and blues and this guitar fits in nicely. It's a nice contrast to my Epiphone Special I with P90s, (yes, a cheap guitar that sounds freaking awesome my friends) so both guitars will see some use, but to be honest this one will be my main guitar. If it were stolen, I would be hard pressed to replace this guitar, especially for what I got it for, so I would be pissed and wish all kinds of bad things on the person that stole it. But I would look for a replacement, especially this model. This is my first Schecter, and after owning it, I am a fan for life. This guitars overall quality ranks with anything, including standard Gibsons and Fenders. I also have an ESP LTD MV-100, and an Epiphone Special I with P90s as well as a Frankenstrat. I have owned Gibsons, Fenders, and Ibanez guitars and this ranks with all of them. As I have said, I have no complaints about the pickups, so I am planning to keep them, so overall, I am an extremely happy camper with this guitar, that's all I can ask for.

This guitar has more than likely seen it's share of live shows, and after having played it for a while, I would gig with this guitar without a backup. With names like Grover and Tone Pros, the hardware is top notch, and the guitar is just solid without any rattles or anything loose on it. The finish on the top of the guitar still shines, and while not "like new", it is still a beautiful guitar. I got this guitar for an insanely cheap price, and the guitar worked perfectly, the neck is straight without any problems. I came to find out that the guitar had been on layaway and the person never came to pay it off, so all I had to pay for was what was owed on the guitar, and the shop I bought it at made several efforts to contact the guy who had it on layaway so after 6 months, they put it out on sale, and I saw it, about an hour after putting it up for sale and now I own it.

Being that I got this guitar used, there are some nicks on the back of the guitar, but the overall finish of the guitar is good. The flamed maple on the top of the guitar is beautiful. The neck is comfortable, and being bound, it is silky smooth, the frets just sit in perfectly. The balance of the guitar is good, not neck or body heavy, the strings line up perfectly with the pole pieces on the pickups. The strings are set up a little high, but that was more than likely done by the previous owner and I will adjust it to my liking. The tuners are Grovers, and the bridge is a Tone Pros model so I have no complaints. Overall, this guitar is put together solidly, as good as any I have played.

I have just picked up a Schecter C-1 plus model from a pawn shop for %79.00. When I saw it hanging in the shop, I asked my wife if I was reading the price right, and sure enough I was. I checked it out using an amp in the store, beautiful neck, beautiful flame maple top, a few nicks on the back of the guitar, but otherwise in very good shape. Here are the details: 2004 model, made in Korea, Mahogony body with a flame maple top, black cherry color, 2 Duncan Designed Humbuckers, Grover Tuners, 3 piece mahogony neck and a Tone Pros bridge. This guitar does not coil tap so it is straight humbucker. Strings thru the body, a volume control for each humbucker and a master tone control. The strap buttons were replace with a eye hook ala Eddie Van Halen does. Came with a strap, cheap but it works.

ferdius
    Update to previous post, while I still like the clean sound of the pickups, I am finding the distorted tones a little to muddy for me. Perhaps I will swap pickups.