C-1 Standard review by Schecter

Schecter: C-1 Standard

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

This guitar is very versatile for the money. I play through a B-52 100W Tri-Channel head into a 412 cabinet with Celestion speakers, and also have a practice 35w amp that I use, it sounds good through both. I play mostly metal and rock but I've branched out and have also played jazz, ska, blues and punk and it handles all of them beautifully. The coil tap and individual pickup volume controls make for an endless variety of options. The Bridge pickup has a very sharp sound, and lots of mid-range response, but can also have some early breakup. By pulling the tone knob and coil tapping the Bridge you get crisp fender-esque cleans, although the volume gets reduced a noticeable amount. The Bridge pickup gets really chunky, rich sounds from the mahogany and is perfect for jazz and with some crunch can play the blues like no one's business. With enough distortion and the right tone settings this thing can scream. I can get pinch harmonics from 1st fret 6th string to 24th fret 1st string, and the clarity is very nice, even when playing stuff like Machine Head, Lamb of God and Hatebreed. The harmonic response is noticeably better from the TUSQ saddle, in turn making pinch harmonics squeal really hard. In the right hands, this thing can sing anyone's tune. I give this section an 8 because for the price and because. This thing can handle anything.

For my playing style this definitely matches me, because I like versatility. It handles metal very well, especially for not having active pickups. I've been playing for 5 years, I also own a B.C. Rich Warlock (go ahead and laugh, but it's got some mean pups in it now), and I have a couple of pedals (Line 6 Uber Metal and Vox Tonelab ST). This guitar has everything I wanted, plus it's ones of the only guitars in this price range without a Floyd Rose in it. If it were stolen or lost there would be a large massacre in a Florida town, but I'd definitely but it or a higher end model from Schecter. This thing can handle so many different tones and is really comfortable to play, the only thing I dislike is the somewhat cheap hardware. My favorite feature is definitely the mahogany, because it makes such a rich texture. I looked through Ibanez and ESP, and this one seemed to have the most to offer for its price so I took the deal. It's kept me happy ever since I opened the box.

This guitar seems like it was meant for looks and playability, but still more on the looks side. Two weeks after getting it I banged some furniture and it left a nice little scar by the right strap button. The strap buttons don't move and are nicely sized, haven't failed me yet, but I'd still get some strap locks. I'd never gig without a backup, but it's not because the guitar would fail. It definitely seems like it'd hold its weight and wouldn't fall apart, but strings do break. Especially if you only have on guitar. The finish seems sturdy for playing, because I play a lot and it seems to be pretty thick. The hardware seems really sturdy, although the knobs and the pickup selector seem a bit flimsy. I'd give this a 7 because it could be better.

The factory actually set it up pretty good. The action was a little high and the Bridge pickup was too low, but in 10 minutes I had it to my liking. Everything else was flawless, and out of the box the guitar looked amazing. The pickup selector however is where my problems started. I've read around and it seems to be a Schecter hardware problem, the pickup selector when moved to the Bridge position makes a crackle (if the Bridge was 3 and both were 2, if you moved it to 2.5 you'd hit the crackle) and sometimes it sounds like it dies. The coil tap seems to be the problem because if I pull and push the nob it fixes itself. Kind of annoying if I were to be playing a show with it and it died. Otherwise it was all very good, but for the hassle it gets a 6.

This C-1 Standard is from the 2005-2007 area, made in the USA. I've had it for about 6 months and have given it a very good test drive. It has a very smooth 24 fret rosewood fretboard with Dot inlays and medium frets, which make really nice for shredding on the upper notes. The neck and body are mahogany with a flamed maple top. The neck is advertised to be bolt-on, but it's clearly a jointed neck. The neck is thin and good for shredding but still thick enough for barre chords. The finish is nice and thick, very smooth and it really brings the deep red through. It offers a double cutaway making plenty of room for the upper frets and has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge with a string-thru body, and may I note that the nut isn't made out of ivory but instead out of synthetic material called TUSQ, which is supposed to make harmonics come through much better, but more on that later. The C-1 Standard comes H-H pickup setting containing two Duncan-Designed passive humbuckers, modeled after the JB 59 set. The hardware is chrome and comes with grover tuners, 3-way selector, volume knobs for both pickups, and a tone knob that is a push-pull for coil tap. For the price, I think that this section deserves an 8.

Metal_Master_0
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys! I had no idea that there were that many dim-wits out there >.< And I'm sorry about the mixup with the USA-made, I got it in a box that said it was from L.A., but now I know that it's made in Korea, so thanks for the correction. I really appreciate all the positive criticism, and I had no idea my first review would be a featured review I'll try to add some more reviews for you guys!
    T7E
    ^ THey do. There is ones based on les pauls, tele's,rickenbackers and there's a few original looking shapes like the tempest wich is a bit like a mix between a D.C les paul and an old Ovation GP,and the avenger, which is strat-ish but way different
    sewoo55
    i love superstrat body shapes, but its about time schecter start making guitars with others shapes as well...
    Slaytan666
    I've never played one of these, but I think I'll check one out. Great review, by the way. I was expecting another "Full 10's" review. I'm glad there's reviewers out there that not only KNOW guitars, but are also literate enough to translate those views properly.
    Metal_Master_0
    Thanks man! Sent in another review, and will be sending more regularly until I run out of stuff to review. You guys might be seeing more of me.
    14xjake
    blackbird51 wrote: there's no way this is made in the U.S.A especially at that price you paid....if it was U.S.A made it would be at least $500 more.
    It isnt made in USA its made in Korea but after it gets shipped to America the USA schecter shop checks it over.
    Cam'sGuitarSolo
    Finally A Good Review about a guitar, not: this is good that is good. But also this could be better i run into this, i have a fix stil it could be better. Yeah Great Job!!! A Really Really Good Review. I hope you can re-write all the other reviews here on UG (expect for some) +1 for you.
    John37fold
    schecter is a korean made product assembled in the USA if my memory serves right
    theblackwell
    I agree.
    theblackwell
    Very nicely written man. I'm glad to finally see a genuinely honest review and not just 10's across the board because it's your guitar. Keep up the good work.
    blackbird51
    soulsablaze
    TheResults wrote: Metal_Master you should do more reviews, it's incredibly uncommon for a person to pick apart a guitar they just got but you did a top notch job of unbiasedly nit-picking this guitar.
    Agreed this is a damn good review and my guitar isn't so different. I have a schecter tempest and the specs are pretty similar
    TheResults
    GuitarManiac110
    guitarist41 wrote: Those other two posters really suck at English.
    Maybe they didnt notice their mistake? -.-