C-1 Standard review by Schecter

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 8
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reliability & Durability: 8
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 6
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 7.4 Good
  • Users' score: 7.4 (34 votes)
Schecter: C-1 Standard
1

Price paid: $ 550

Purchased from: local store

Sound — 8
I play mostly 1st/2nd wave black metal such as celtic frost and marduk aswell as all the other sub-genres of metal excluding metalcore and deathcore (fake metal). This guitar can definitely handle this type of music but is not the ideal "metal guitar". From the Bridge pickup I can get really thick, fat sounds which sound really great and not muddy... I heard that this pickup was supposed to be bright sounding but it sounds pretty dark which is good for me, and from the neck I wouldn't have a clue because I have never used it. It can handle any type of music, from alice in chains to megadeth it does it all, aswell as good cleans if you role the volume knob back halfway. Only downside to this pickup is that it is very noisy.

Overall Impression — 7
I basically had to choose between this guitar and a Damien Elite-6 that came with EMG active 81/85 and a floyd rose... Honestly the EMG pickups sound so dry and sterile unlike passive duncans, but the major put off was the Floyd Rose which makes tuning and changing strings a bitch! So I chose this guitar and I'm happy with it. If this guitar were to get stolen I would buy it again if I had spare pickups at home because this guitar sounds just crazy with a Seymour Duncan distortion pickup! I definitely recommend this pickup to everyone.

Reliability & Durability — 8
I played live with it without a backup and it stayed in tune just fine.the hardware is good but the 3 way Switch feels abit shaky, and the strap buttons surprised me... They have never loosened unlike my Ibanez. I dropped this guitar many times and slammed it onto walls many times by accident yet not one scratch.

Action, Fit & Finish — 6
The action on this guitar was the only thing I hated (besides the noisy pickups) it was set really high for my style of playing and it made my playing crappy as hell... But once you lower it it plays like a dream especially with the smooth neck. Everything else is top notch.

Features — 8
The C-1 Standard is part of Schecters Diamond series guitars made in South Korea in the same factory as the LTD series guitars from ESP. It has a mahogany body with a flamed maple top and 3 piece set maple neck which is really smooth. The neck is c shaped and 24.75 inches long, and comes with a really nice rosewood fretboard with 24 medium frets. It comes with a 3 way Switch which is coil tapped... This particular model comes with a tonepros Bridge but can also be purchased with a floyd rose. The neck is set not bolt-on and this guitar comes with non-locking grover tuners which stay in tune well but not as good as I thought.It also comes with Duncan Designed HB-102/101 pickups which are trembucker spaced (you can replace the pickups with regular humbuckers it won't make a difference) and modeled after Seymour Duncans HOT Rodded set (JB+59).

6 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Sodom616
    just to warn you guys this guitars playability is nothing near as good as an ibanez.....but it makes up for it in tone! ibanez rg guitars sound thin as hell while this guitar has the fattest tone imaginable (think of lamb of god)
    Metal_Master_0
    Sodom616 wrote: just to warn you guys this guitars playability is nothing near as good as an ibanez.....but it makes up for it in tone! ibanez rg guitars sound thin as hell while this guitar has the fattest tone imaginable (think of lamb of god)
    Ibanezes are really nice and are ultra thin, but I don't mind the unplayability (fatter neck, different joints) because as you say the guitar has a FAT tone. I can match LoG perfectly with my rig.
    givemeajackson
    Metal_Master_0 wrote: Sodom616 wrote: just to warn you guys this guitars playability is nothing near as good as an ibanez.....but it makes up for it in tone! ibanez rg guitars sound thin as hell while this guitar has the fattest tone imaginable (think of lamb of god) Ibanezes are really nice and are ultra thin, but I don't mind the unplayability (fatter neck, different joints) because as you say the guitar has a FAT tone. I can match LoG perfectly with my rig.
    Metal_Master_0 wrote: Sodom616 wrote: just to warn you guys this guitars playability is nothing near as good as an ibanez.....but it makes up for it in tone! ibanez rg guitars sound thin as hell while this guitar has the fattest tone imaginable (think of lamb of god) Ibanezes are really nice and are ultra thin, but I don't mind the unplayability (fatter neck, different joints) because as you say the guitar has a FAT tone. I can match LoG perfectly with my rig.
    that's a matter of opinion. i cant handle ibanez's, thei're necks just dont feel right to me. too narrow, i think. and the neck joint on the schecter is among m favos, feels exactly like neck through!
    givemeajackson
    i'll get this guitar when i got some money left. i bought a hellraiser special after a long time being stuck between the 2, and i'm absolutely blown away by schecters feel and quality. will make fine as blues/ rock guitar, or i'll tune the hellraiser to b standard and have this one as my e standard/drop d guitar. its so damn sexy with that brown burst finish!
    LostKeys
    Larry Masterson wrote: Where in the World is the "2005-2007 area". Seriously. Where is this place?
    Are you daft? Or drunk? We all know what he's talking about. You're all alone.