C-7 Blackjack ATX review by Schecter

Schecter: C-7 Blackjack ATX

Purchased from: Thomman.de

Okay, so I play rock and Metal in my own time, I'm in a death metal band too. However, for my guitar exams I've gotta play Jazz and Funk (wish me luck). The Actives and Mahogany are crushingly heavy, with a smooth sound, highs don't really get too sharp, and my low B/A doesn't get all farty, so metal wise it would get a ten from me. I'm putting this through a Marshall AVT150H with slant cab for rehearsal, classy sound when scooped. Roland Micro Cube at home when I don't wanna hook up the Marshall, not a great amp but I don't have the money for full tube yet. Played it through a whole heap of amps at school and in my local shops, tones a top rate 'heavy sound' and will actually do surprisingly good BB King or Derek Trucks at low Drive. Hugely full sound, with a round chunk when highly distorted. Not a great clean for pop, jazz etc. So 2 points off.

I spec'd this out before purchasing. I hate Wizard necks, and this is like a 7 string les paul, the tone is like a star going nova and it looks the buisness, because its White. Picked it over every other seven I've played and all good sixes for under 700. If it were stolen, I would weep bitter tears, this thing took a year of saving EVERYTHING. After 5 years of playing, I feel I deserved this with my final exam upcoming. Favourite part is the tone, I've yet to hear its match through a valve amp. Just so heavy and smooth.

This thing has bween whacked of everything, morons have screwed with it, no flaws whatsoever, and I put it through a ceiling tile in an office by accident. You can't see a mark, a concrete block would have comparable strength. Will let you know when I've gigged how it stood up, but the tunings so stable that I don't see it being trouble.

Ahhhhh... at last. Everything was just right for me, even pickup height and I'm a fusspot about my electronics. Fret wire was dandy and the finish was pristine even after shipping. All I had to do was change the strings to .10s and raise the action because I like high actions.

Okay, this guitar was made in 2008 in... Indonesia I think. I'll start with the woodwork. Its a Strat shape. The guitar is mahogany bodied, with a set mahogany neck. The joint is carved away to give better high fret access, works up to about the 22nd fret. The neck is a 26.5" scale (Schecter use this on their sevens and baritones) and the fretboard is ebony, strings are through-body. Hardware next. Locking Schecter tuners, these things are pretty solid, I reccomend locking tuners after using these. Nut is Graphtech, which apparently boosts sustain, but this thing actually sustains better than any guitar I've ever played. Bridge is a tonepros TOM, again fine. 24 Extra Jumbo frets, Standard stuff. And the rest. 2 active Seymour Duncans, serious kit, and they look cool. 2 volume pots, one tone. Standard gloss finish, so hands might sweat if you're shredding. Strap buttons are huge, was gonna get straplocks but no need. Overall its a pretty insane piece of kit, but its obviously geared for heavy music. Top-notch equipment for those of us who like obscene pitches. One point off because of the lack of the OPTION of a whammy and the lack of true stand-out features. Its also hugely lightweight, lighter than a Fender Strat or Jackson KV by a serious amount.

aaron_masta
    drawnacrol wrote: damn I wish my schecter had the ultra access
    thats what she said.
    Nettak
    Awesome review dude! This looks like THE 7-string to buy in my price-range (also because I'm pretty biased towards Schecters!) Thank you :3
    HereticHammer01
    Excellent review, you justify why you give it such a score which a lot of poorer reviews don't do. Would probably buy that guitar if I could save up enough...
    DrButterfunk
    NightBladeXx
    xXMetal-HeadXx
    NightBladeXx wrote: I have actually seen a C-7 with a FR so yeah... they mightve just started that this year.
    probably isnt a Blackjack model. I have seen C-7 models with FR's but they arent the same model. just a technicallity
    Synyster915
    aaron_masta wrote: drawnacrol wrote: damn I wish my schecter had the ultra access thats what she said.
    ...How?
    mr_metal121
    well then "she" must play guitar....ive played this guitar a few times around it's pretty good, from what I've heard so far, if i had the money for a seven string i'd probably get this or another kind of schecter
    Oblivoath666
    XD
    CrusaderTrivium
    DrButterfunk wrote: Thank you for the great review. I've been waiting for a review for this guitar for a while now. I plan on buying this when I get a chance. How does this compare to schecters other 7s?
    Its esentially the same, but with a different finsh. Heh. But Seriously, the major difference is that compared to EMGs, the Blackouts sound full and natural, instead of sharp and grindy. I play Suicide Silence for fun, it really needs that massive presence from the guitars.