C-7 Hellraiser review by Schecter

Schecter: C-7 Hellraiser

Price paid: € 999

Purchased from: Raahen Musiikki

First of all, I'm not going to say that "I play everything from Jazz to Heavy metal!" I'm going to be honest with you and say that I'm a metal player. I play little rock too, but this guitar shines in metal genre. The 26.5 scale really gives you that tight, low, brutal sound to low B. The EMG 707s give you really thight, sharp tone. At home I use this beast with my (sigh) Roland Microcube. The guitar sounds decent through it. When practicing with my band, I play it through Line 6 Spider III 15 watt, Blackstar HT-5H head with Marshall cab or through Blackstar HTV 40. (Depends about the place we train in) I have also tested this through some random Peavey and Behringer. I gotta say, this guitar sounds good with any of these amps, but through Blackstar this thing comes alive. Like I said before, the EMGs give you a really tight and sharp distortion. Perfect for me. It also gives you pretty good cleans. Not nearly as good as a passive Seymour Duncan, but it's good enough for me. With the split-coil you can also try to play some Jazz with this!

I've had this guitar since September and it still looks fresh and new and plays like a dream. I have been playing about 3 1/2 years. I play Trivium, Metallica, Dream Theater, Megadeth and many others and this thing sounds great through a proper amp! If it were stolen, I would definitely get a new one. And if I would catch the thief (And if I wouldn't have any moral rules) I would rip the bastards ball off and feed them to him and make him regret he was ever born. The guitar is pretty heavy compared to my other guitars, not too heavy, but it definitely doesn't feel like a toy. If you're looking for a great 7-string for metal with variety, I recommend you take a look at this. (And excuse me my not-so-great English.)

I haven't played live yet, but I'm sure that this guitar is roadworthy. If you don't believe me, check out Jeff Loomis. He used the Hellraiser series before he got his signature. Like I told you before, the strap buttons were solid, but I changed 'em to Schallers, just to be safe. I would NEVER EVER gig without a backup guitar. Who knows what might happen? I'm sure that the finish will not wear off because of lots of playing. My hands tend to sweat a lot sometimes when playing. The hardware has no rust in it yet, and probably never will, when taken care of.

When I got this, the guitar was set-up great. No fret buzz and the strings were adjusted just right. Too bad I can't say the same about the bridge pickup. It wasn't horizontally as straight as the bridge pickup. Nothing that a screwdriver can't fix, but I was a bit disappointed with this. If we forget about that, the guitar was in perfect shape. The pickup selector makes a satisfying click when used and the volume knobs are solid. I don't who invented to place the volume knobs so close to your hand though. If you use your pinky as an anchoring point you might have trouble. Also, it's fairly easy to your picking hand to touch the volume knobs when playing. You might turn off your volume. It hasn't happened to me, but it's possible. The finish had no flaws and it looks sexy as hell (trust me, I check the guitar very carefully), but it gets scratched easily, when you change strings.

Specs: - Construction: Set Neck w/ Ultra Access - Body: Mahogany w/Quilted Maple - Neck: 3-pc Mahogany - Finger Board: Rosewood - Frets: 24X Jumbo - Inlay: Abalone Gothic Crosses - Bindings: Abalone - Tuners: Schecter Locking - Pickups: EMG Active 707tw - Electronics: Vol (tap)/Vol (tap)/Tone/3-Way Switch - Bridge: TonePros TOM w/Thru-Body - Scale: 26.5" - Hardware: Black Chrome My model was made in 2011 in South-Korea. I'm kinda disappointed that it didn't come with straplocks. The stock strapbuttons are solid though, but I have replaced 'em with Schaller straplocks. The 2011 version has Schecter locking tuners instead of Grovers. No complaints about that, this thing stays perfectly in tune. I have no complaints about the neck. I thought that fast playing would be little more harder because this guitar has a wider neck because it's a 7-string. Luckily my doubts were shown to be false. You can really shred with this thing, if you want to. The neck fits nicely into my hands and I have pretty small hands.

Minivirus2
    I'm fenced on this one right now. I've been wanting a 7-string for a while now and a local store just got a couple of these in. I'll have to noodle with this and the LTD they have in stock. Considering I'm am ESP/LTD guy, I'm pretty shocked that I'm leaning towards this one moreso.