Coupe Special Edition review by Schecter

Schecter: Coupe Special Edition

Price paid: A$ 1400

Purchased from: Dream Music, Sydney

I play jazz, metal, and everything in between, and this guitar suits most things. The Coupe gives me a really smooth warm sound on the neck pup, and a fat lead with distortion on the bridge, courtesy of the Seymour Duncans. Its only limitations is the feedback due to its hollow body construction when I crank gain and stuff, but the advantage is that I now love feedback and the harmonic overtones that gain produces. I love the tremolo ability from the bigsby, and I play it with a Boss Metalzone through a Peavey Envoy 110 (through the clean channel).

This guitar is a great match for the music I play; I've always wanted a hollowbody since I play jazz in my school band, but I was pulled in by the unconventional look of this. I've been playing for about 5 years, and I have an older Schecter 006 that was my first electric, and I have always loved Schecter for that guitar. I saw this guitar on the Schecter website, and I put all my savings into it, so it was pretty much a YOLO moment on my behalf. If it was stolen or lost I would definitely put a lot of effort into trying to get it back, i.e. hunt down the thief and destroy them. I love it, the look, the warmth of the Duncan Jazz, the versatility, the feedback, the cream binding, everything.

Since it has a bigsby, tuning will always be an issue, but I could deal with that. The strap buttons are very solid. The gold hardware is already oxidising even though I've had this beast for a month, and I clean them everytime I finish playing, so I will eventually have to replace the pup covers, tuners, bigsby and bridge, but for now they are splendid. I would and I should have a backup on a gig, after all it's a hollow body with a bigsby. The finish in dark emerald green is beautiful, and it has a solid black pickguard, so the paint will be fine.

The action was perfect when I received it, set up in the US after creation in Korea. All I did was put in a set of flatwounds and its great. The tone pots are deceptive, its pretty much an on and off, but the gold finish make them look good, so I don't care. The pickups seem fine, but I'm not very fluent with that field so I'm not 100% sure, but I've played it plenty, and they don't move around at all. There was a minor flaw, a cut above the nut which is tiny, but apart from that everything is brilliant.

Made in South Korea, in 2013, the Schecter Coupe Special Edition, in Dark Emerald Green, is a beautiful hollow body guitar. It has a set neck construction, with maple body and a 24.75" 3 piece maple neck. The Coupe has 22 jumbo frets, on an ebony fretboard. It's got a roller TOM bridge connected to a Bigsby B-70, which I find very aesthetically pleasing, and it definitely suits this guitar. It's fitted with Seymour Duncan pups, a Jazz in the neck, and a '59 in the bridge, and all the hardware (tuners, pots, pup covers and bridge) is in gold. Two volumes for each pickup and two tone pots, which have the ability to coil tap. Grover non locking tuners and a 3 way selector switch are also awesome. I've got it with an SKB case, which was cheaper than the Schecter case. This guitar looks amazing, with bat-like f-holes, and it plays amazing as well; the neck feels thinner than a normal jazzbox. The cream binding makes it absolutely spectacular.

Klaptrap
    fully hollow, with a small block in the middle. I turn my bass up and treble a little bit down on my clean channel for my jazz tones, and for freddy green stuff i turn treble up and bass down. The metalzone is all I have at the moment, I make do with what I got hehe
    Templar980
    I'm pretty sure that the small block in the middle makes it semi-hollow... But if anyone knows the difference for sure then let me know.
    karpis
    I cand find it: is it fully hollow or semi hollow? Combination of this guitar and metalzone sounds odd, but whad do you know what it takes to get your sound
    karpis
    And how about bridge rattle or any rattle at all? Have you noticed something? Since I have fully hollow with bigsby, I know those guitars can be demanding, but very rewarding in sound.
    Klaptrap
    No rattle at all, it sounds brilliant. Ive had compliments on sound from people, over the looks of the guitar. They said it sounded extremely resonant and nice
    edwardsga2nj
    Wondering about the thickness of the guitar...is is thin like a Gibson 335 or thick like a Gretsch hollow body?
    edwardsga2nj
    Ya dopes, the block in the middle makes it semi-hollow. This is an unbelievably nice guitar. Finish is perfect, looks stunning, sounds amazing, coil slitting and two vol., two tones, make for an infinite number of tones you can get. The Bigsby 70 is way better than the 50 and you get that, along with roller bridge and Grover tuners. Mine came fully set up with low action the way I like it, with just a little fret buzz, easily eliminated. This guitar is sooooo hard to put down. I go into work tired because I've stayed up too late playing it. I got mine for $578 at Hello Music. Everybody else is selling it for $999. I have a 1971 Gibson ES355, and I doubt I will be playing it much after getting this. It's worth some serious coin, so I might as well sell it! I am so pleased with this guitar that I am checking into some of the other retro looking guitars from Schecter! Oh, and to reply to myself about the thickness. It's 2 5/8 inches, just slightly thinner than my Gretsch hollow body 5420T