Damien-7 review by Schecter

Schecter: Damien-7

I like Metal, specifically riff based stuff. Thus the B string comes in handy for really heavy riffing. The EMG HZ7 pickups are good as far as stocks go but EMGs specialty is actives and if this guitar had EMG 707s in it then it would be perfect. As it is now though it's satisfactory and the nicest stock pickups I've experienced for around this priced guitar. I use a Roland Cube 40XL amp and it works well obviously but I only use it in a home environment. For gigs, I don't know. I can compare it to my Epiphone Explorer and certainly this Schecter is more dominant and impressive in sound. Cleans are average really.

I basically just needed a 7 string and I bought this, admittedly, on holiday on spur of the moment but having researched later I see that it was the best buy I could have done considering I only had like $500 to spend. If I could I would have rather had a ESP LTD Stephen Carpenter Signature or even one of the Ibanez 7 strings as I'm not actually a Schecter fan. If I lost it I would actually just save up for a Stephen Carpenter Signature but that's only because I am an ESP fan and I love Deftones. It's no commentary on this guitar. It's a great guitar. I love that this guitar feels solid, tough, built to last and do it's job. It's a basic, quality 7 string. Change the pickups to real EMG actives and it's great!

Oh yes, this is a guitar worth the investment! I can see this lasting a long time. Like I said it's already 6 years old there doesn't seem to have been any replacement of any of the parts. I would feel confident playing this in a situation where a quality instrument is needed. Obviously if you play live have a backup. But if this guitar became unplayable then it would be because of my own fault and not from a design or quality flaw. The finish isn't the most beautiful (just being generic black) but I don't care since I like having a guitar that looks worn. The only changes I will eventually make will be swapping the pickups for some active EMGs and putting strap-locks on. I plan on keeping it as my permanent 7 string so might as well invest!

Created in 2007 it has been around for 6 years played by who knows but apart from some obvious cosmetic damage it's fine. Whomever owned it cared for it; that or it's just a really tough guitar! The pickups were low and the adjustment screw was stuck so that had to be changed but the neck was perfect even with a low action. The tuners were still firm and holding, the electronics were fine and the knobs were fine too. The wood of the guitar wasn't discoloured nor damaged. The neck is still very smooth and fast. No rust, no problems (besides the screw).

Made in 2007 in South Korea, I bought this guitar 2nd hand in Tokyo. It has 24 jumbo frets, maple bolt-on neck with rosewood fingerboard, 26.5" scale length, solid top, basswood superstrat style body with a string-through bridge. The pickups are passive EMG-HZ7. Th controls consist of 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob and a 3-way selector. Finally the inlays are these awesome looking flying bats and small white dots on the side of the neck (facing the guitarist). The tuners are Grover tuners. As it came 2nd hand no accessories were included though I did get a used hard case with it.