Damien 7-FR review by Schecter

Schecter: Damien 7-FR

Purchased from: Factory Direct

The style of music I primarily play is heavy metal and hardcore. I bought this guitar because I wanted to be able to play Suicide Silence and Whitechapel style riffs along with the shredding Nevermore, Trivium, and Dream Theater do on some of their songs with 7 strings. For that sound, the guitar really does the job. My amplifier and effects pedals really do the job for me. (I use a Roland mixing board plugged into two Peavy 500 watt 15" speakers on stands it sounds just like a full stack would, along with a DigiTech RP-80 pedal and DigiTech Death Metal pedal.) This guitar is only noisy with my feedback control turned off on extremely high volume, but that is because the Death Metal pedal is very noisy. The first song I played on this guitar was "My Will Be Done" by Unearth, and I was able to sound close to the sound on the album. I then jammed on some Suicde Silence, Whitechapel and then toned it down for some Korn and Dream Theater. As far as a distorted sounds, it sounds amazing. But clean sounds, by itself it doesn't sound that great, but with some chorus and delay or flanger thrown on it, it sounds beautiful. Harmonics on this guitar, both natural and pinch, sound downright nasty, and I mean that in a good way! Think Black Label Society, Lamb of God and Pantera. Divebombs are REALLY fun on this guitar, and it's part of the reason I got the FR equipped version. I bought this guitar to play heavy music, but I also love Rush, Pink Floyd and playing Metallica's lighter songs, and it gets a great clean sound if I use my effects pedals. It's everything I asked for, so I give it a 10 for that, but if you don't like heavy music, don't buy this guitar it's not for you. (Nothing wrong with lighter music, just saying.)

As I said before, I play heavy music, and this guitar fills that niche quite nicely. I've been playing for 5 awesome years, and this guitar replaced my crappy Johnson starter pack guitar. I use a Peavy Studio Pro 112 for practice and my big ole rig I described above for shows and rehearsals. I wish it had active electronics, but I did not have the money for a guitar with that and so I'll settle for passive for now. There's really only one thing that I hate about this guitar and that is the way the body it cut it makes access to frets 19-24 difficult and so sweeping on those frets is a bit difficult, but I manage. If it were stolen, I would hunt that bastard down and kill him. To replace it, though, I don't think I would but this again I think I would just move up and upgrade to a Rusty Cooley or Jeff Loomis signature guitar. My favorite feature is the trem bar. I idolize Dimebag Darrell, so I wanted to play dive bombs like he did and so this guitar was purchased partially for that reason. I compared this guitar to an Ibanez 7 string that they had at Guitar Center. It was only $299 but had 22 frets, crappy pickups and really you get what you pay for in Ibanez and personally I don't like the way they sound. The Schecter Damien 7 is like the Les Paul of 7 strings, it's big and beefy and gets that big Les Paul sound. I wish the cutaway was deeper and I wish it had active electronics, but for a metal head on a tight budget looking for a quality 7 string, I strongly recommend this guitar to anyone looking for that.

I've had this guitar for a year now and it only has a couple dings in it and chipped paint and that is from pesky siblings knocking it over and genuine accidents because of my friends. (Long story short, guitars should not be placed up against a wall.) I play in a band (www.myspace.com/iamheband) and I've played a handful of shows with it and I love it. I have a lot of stage presence, I run around and headband and throw my guitar around and it stays attached and it doesn't have any problems. I play the shit out of it, really hitting the strings hard on faster songs and I'm rough on the whammy bar sometimes and the worst that's ever happened is I broke a string. This guitar is like a prostitute, it can take abuse and still put out and give me everything I paid for. (Horrible horrible joke, I know, but come on I had to make a boring guitar review somewhat entertaining, right?) It's only let me down at a gig once and that was my fault for not replacing strings regularly. The string was over a month old and it broke, but luckily it was at the start of the set so we just decided to let another band go on while I fixed it up. The finish is great, as I polish it once a week at least, and there's only a coulple chips and that is on the back of the guitar, which no one ever sees. (Unless I'm doing my "full-body-whip-guitar-around" headbang lol.) I probably would want to buy a backup just in case, but I've played about 20 shows without a backup and only once has it let me down, so I can say that yeah, it's definately reliable, but you gotta prepare for the worst so I'm looking for a backup.

This guitar was set up in the factory and shipped directly to me. I was the first one to play it and only 3 other people have played it besides me. (My friends have guitar envy lol) It was almost perfect, except for a buzz on the low B string, but that was easily remedied. The pickups were adjusted just fine, and everything was in order. There were absolutely no flaws when I first unwrapped it and played it, except for that low B buzz. I've had this guitar for a year now and there's only been a couply problems that were easy fixes. (Plastic part of selecter switch fell off and a screw fell out of the bridge pickup.) Great job, Schecter!

This guitar was ordered directly from the Schecter factory in LA in the year 2009 through Guitar Center (They didn't have it in stock so they placed an order for me.) It is a flat black guitar with 24 Extra Jumbo frets, Basswood body, maple bolt-on neck, 26.5" scale body, rosewood fretboard, and pearl bat inlays. It is solid top, in the typical Schecter "super strat" shape and is equipped with a Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo bar system. The pickups are EMG-HZ 7-A pickups and they are passive. There are 2 pickups at the neck and bridge positions. There are only two knobs, a volume knob and a tone knob. The tuning system is the Licensed Floyd Rose locking system with Grover tuners configured for a 7 string. There were no accesories included except for the tools needed for maintaining a Floyd Rose system and a whammy bar. It was in perfect condition when it showed up at my house and I did not even have to tune it. Overall, great first impression as it had everything I asked for in the guitar.

Plan009
    I have an older Schecter 7 string from around 10 years ago and I gotta say Schecter is the way to go for 7 strings. For the price and quality, they provide like no other company. Would have liked to see a review of this guitar later on though when you play it through some better amps/speakers. Your equipment makes half the greatness in your playing and I think you sold this guitar short in a few ways. All and all, not a bad review, you covered alot of the bases I noticed when I tried out this guitar. Great guitar, enjoy it!
    Amuro Jay
    The hell kinda Schecter did you play?
    uninsane_guitar
    Damien Elite 7 goes for around $600, this guitar the Damien 7, Schecter Hellraiser 7 with FR is pretty expensive you're gonna be pushing about $1300-1500. Or you could try ESP's 7 strings or Ibanez's 7 strings. The Ibanez S7 has a zero resistance trem bar and it was on Guitar World's best guitars to buy for under $750. If money isn't an issue, then get the Jeff Loomis (Schecter) or Rusty Cooley (Dean) signature guitars for sure as they are INCREDIBLE! Or you could go with a Stephen Carpenter ESP 7 string, the Chris Garza signature guitar (Schecter). Just a list of all the suggestions I have, I've played every guitar that I've mentioned (thank you Guitar Center!) and I strongly recommend the Ibanez S7 (I hadn't played one until well after I wrote this review...reversed everything I had previously thought about Ibanez being crap.) or the Rusty Cooley signature. Here's a link to the Ibanez: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/mo... And to the Rusty Cooley: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/mo... Any other questions, feel free to drop me a message/profile comment! That goes for anyone else wanting a 7 string as I have pretty much become a 7 string connoisseur lol. Thinking about buying a Rusty Cooley myself and the new Ibanez 8 string they just released this year, because I'm addicted to extended range guitars! (btw I wouldn't tune it F#-B-E-A-D-G-b-e it would be A-E-A-D-G-b-e-a).
    xXDrkndHeartXx
    I'm looking at a couple sevens, and I'd like some opinions. It'll be my first seven. I prefer thin necks, and a locking trem. Any ideas?
    uninsane_guitar
    jetfuel495 m : ProgJazzMath wrote: I really can't stand Schecter guitars. I have had nothing but trouble with them. They emit some of the most intense feedback. I used this guitar into a Mesa Boggie and it was nothing amazing. I would recommend in this price range an ESP LTD MH model. Way better guitars. The hell kinda Schecter did you play? POSTED: 10/27/2010 - 08:55 pm / quote | SilverSpurs616 : 365_days_gone wrote: Whats better - this or the Ibanez RG7321?? This has locking trem, the ibby doesn't. Probably this anyway, as the 7321 is Ibanez's entry-level 7-stringer POSTED: 10/27/2010 - 09:34 pm / quote | Metalcore Jero : Dude, for an extra $50 you coulda got a Damien Elite 7 with WAY better specs... POSTED: 10/28/2010 - 02:27 am / quote | screamingboy : I love schecter guitars, i own a schecter B-2 stealth FR, had it for about a year almost now, >: ) I liked the review, made me interested in it as im looking for a 7-8 string guitar but without a FR POSTED: 10/28/2010 - 03:34 am / quote | uninsane_guitar : Yeah the FR depends on your taste, I mean if you like spending 6 freakin hours tuning your guitar lol sometimes the locking just gets to be a pain in the arse especially when the fine tuners are just a wee bit off and you're only a 1/4 step off but you have to get out your trusty allen wrench and undo the locking nuts at the top just to move the tuner a 1/80th of a turn. Then that most likely sets the tension off on the whole thing so you gotta tune the rest of the guitar lol that only happens ever so often but it's a royal pain in the ass sometimes! POSTED: 10/28/2010 - 10:58 am / quote | uninsane_guitar : Metalcore Jero wrote: Dude, for an extra $50 you coulda got a Damien Elite 7 with WAY better specs... I only had $500 to spend bro. POSTED: 10/28/2010 - 10:58 am / quote | wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: I really can't stand Schecter guitars. I have had nothing but trouble with them. They emit some of the most intense feedback. I used this guitar into a Mesa Boggie and it was nothing amazing. I would recommend in this price range an ESP LTD MH model. Way better guitars. The hell kinda Schecter did you play?
    Yeah that's exactly what I'm thinking lol I have 3 friends that all play schecters (a 6 string hellraiser with actives and a FR, ohhhhh so beautiful lol) and they all sound great!
    uninsane_guitar
    I only had $500 to spend bro.
    screamingboy
    SilverSpurs616
    365_days_gone wrote: Whats better - this or the Ibanez RG7321??
    uninsane_guitar
    Thanks man, this is my first guitar review haha I tried to just give it my best. I really just love this guitar but I wanted to be completely honest in my ratings so as to provide an unbiased review. I had a couple spelling errors in there as well. But yeah, Schecter is the beez kneez man lol! I'll probably endorse them if my band gets big enough.
    Linkerman
    I completely agree.
    Cjk10000
    Do you play metal at all? Just wondering...
    ProgJazzMath
    uninsane_guitar
    365_days_gone wrote: Whats better - this or the Ibanez RG7321??
    That was the guitar I compared my Damien too and I didn't like it at all. I like big necks, just me. Even though I was weaned on a strat rip off guitar, I always loved playing my dad's friend's les paul. I like the feel of a big neck and that guitar just sounded wimpy when i plugged it into a peavey they had at the guitar center. I played the damien 7 at the store, not the FR version.
    Grimpond
    Good review, cool guitar. I used to have a Damien B2 but the shape finally drove me nuts
    bustapr
    This review is evidence that people who dont use Spider III know how to write a good review. I still dont like Damiens though, the shape is a little to round on the edges, but for the price its hard to find any 7 string close to better. Really one of the first reviewers Ive seen that actually reviewed the guitar based on its performance with 7 string songs.
    uninsane_guitar
    Oh btw, what do you think would be a good amp and effects pedals to use with that because I notice you said I should wait until I play it through better equipment so what would be some good stuff to buy? Thanks for the feedback btw.
    DCanedo
    Just bought this guitar about 2 months ago and it is a beast. I go between B and A tunings and it holds it's own. Folks know when I break it out because it has a certain heavy tone to it. Like the reviewer said, clean is okay, but once you add some effects, it shines up pretty good. One thing I will say is that it isn't meant to be used by a beginner. The width of the neck isa bit intimidating and takes a bit getting used to. As for the person saying that Schector is bad, were you drunk or can you even play at all? My only gripe is with my Schecter Diamond Series C1FR and that has to do with my fine tuners. It's the "silver coated" FR and it is a pain to drop from E to D to play the likes of Lamb of God, etc. Not sure if it is stripped or what. Cleaned them yesterday and the threads seem fine, so I am stuck I guess. Still anawesome guitar though.