Damien Elite-8 review by Schecter

Schecter: Damien Elite-8

Purchased from: ebay

I believe that the sound of this guitar is absolutly awesome, but not without its flaws, for example the very lowest srting which I have tuned to E, does tend to flub abit (although this could probly be cured with a higher gauge string) and on clean you can sometimes hear the strings rattling. However overall the sound of the guitar is very good, I play mostly progressive metal with melodic, jazzy, groovy and thrash elements in it and this guitars sound suits it very well, also even on high gain the active EMG's are very quiet and can produce an absolutly monsterous roar. Overall this guitar suitar my playing style very well and I would recomend it to all metal players, however because of the EMG's it is not aswell suited to clean playing as it is to distorted, and it could also benefit from a pick-up change to give it a slight midrange boost (I might swap them for a set of BKP paikillers or aftermaths) so I will give it an 8 in this section.

Over all I love this guitar, it has the extended range that I needed (I was in drop A before anyways) and the neck has a comfortable solid feel to it, I've been playing for about 5.5 years ad been looking at an ERG for about 6 months, and in this time I have tryed other guitars (Ibanez, ESP/LTD and Agile) and in playability it is close to an ibby but more solid feeling, I also liked the Agile but with a 28.6 scale length it was very hard for my small hands to play. If it was lost or stolen I would certainly get another but possibly a black one. I just with it had come set up right because I am a monumentaly lazy person and setting it up was although quick and easy, an un-nesicary hastle. So overall a good buy and a must for a serious de-tune freak or maybe a jazz player- a good solid 8 overall.

I have yet to break my live playing virginity (I'm working real hard on it tho) however this guitar is built like a tank, the neck is too wide to be in danger of getting snapped and the finish it almost like armour plating. This said I doubt I'd ever tempt fate and not have a backup, but I can say with some confidence that I believe this instrument would withstand even the most ham-fisted of players (tho it would deffinatly have benefitted from a set of straplocks just incase) because of this I will give it an 8.

OK, from the factory this guitar was not set up well atall, the action across all of the srtings except the F# was huge (over 5mm in some places) this said the CTM-8 bridge is quite possibly the easyest bridge to setup in the world, it took me 5 minuets to change the action and the intonation and now it plays like a dream. Nothing I can say about the pick-up hight/routing/loose hardware because I have not had a problem with any of it, so far so flawless. The finish on my guitar was slightly flawed (it has what looks like red marker pen on the white binding on the lower horn, and a slight flaw in the clear finish on the upper one) however I knew about this before buying the guitar because it was a B-stock model. I want to give it a 5.5 because of the terrible job the shop did on the action but because I can't do decimal places and it was so easy to fix I'll give a 6.

This guitar is a Schecter Damien Elite 8, the main feature of this guitar is that it has 8 strings, it was made in Korea and set up in the USA, it has Grover tuners which are quite stiff but still quite smooth, EMG active 808 pickups, rosewood fretboard, maple neck (26.5' scale) 24 XJ frets with abalone gothic cross inlays, a Schecter CTM-8 bridge, one tone/one volume and a 3 way togle Switch and finally a mahogany body. As you can see the only special feature of this guitar is the extended range, however this simplicity is not necesarily a bad thing. However because of this lack and the lack of a case, I will only give it a 7.

Ackj
    Xx__benji__xX wrote: no offense mate, but there is so many grammer problems! Overall though, good review. I would love an 8, and I think I'd buy this one but in black!
    I think you mean GRAMMAR. Hate to be that guy, but don't be a hypocrite. Any idea what they're sacrificing to save $300 from the Hellraiser 8 strings?
    Soulgrind025
    IPlaySynth
    >there is so many grammar problems >is so many grammar problems >is so many DERP.
    Ghefly
    You mean there ARE many grammar MISTAKES.
    prepostrophy
    DarkValo666
    Euronymous999
    The Ibanez has no better quality than the Schecter, both are 8 strings and both have their flaws, but the Ibanez costs a ****in fortune. And not everybody has 1000 bucks or more to blow on a guitar these days. I would go with the Schecter price wise.
    Hells.Mascot
    Chozodragon
    Aha I agree with you
    Demonikk
    TriKef wrote: The only thing is that their necks average around 28+" which is the reason I went with Schecter since I wasn't sure if I would be able to play a 26" let alone. Plus, I didn't want a V guitar for my first 8 string (even though thats my next guitar goal now.)
    Bear in mind that 8-strings don't cope too well with shorter scale lengths. Mine is 30" and is pretty much bang on in terms of length, but I've used 25.5, 26.5 and 27 which all lacked the tension needed for that low string, it rattled all over the place and sounded muddy as ****. 28" really is the shortest you can go before you start to compromise the tension and note definition, unless you want to use a higher tension 8th string and raise the action a fair bit On topic of this review, in my experience this guitar's pretty lousy. Schecter are a brand I really wish I could like, they're great aesthetically, but for me that's where the pros end. This guitar feels incredibly cheap and it seems little thought has gone into it. That neck joint is just plain stupid, for an 8-string you really need a minimal profile for the join if you even want to think about fretting the low strings in the upper second octave, but they opted for the cheapest and most intrusive joint possible. There's plenty more wrong with this guitar but I'm not going to ramble on, but in a few words, it does not measure up to even the cheapest Agile 8, let alone the Ibanez RGA8/ RG2228
    In The Mist
    Why am I not surprised that a user named ProgJazzMath is being pretentious? As far as 8 strings go I'd wait until Schecter starts a full run of the C-8 hellraiser. Schecter is the only company that makes 8-strings with 26.5 inch scale necks, which makes it easier on my wrist considering I have borderline carpel-tunnel syndrome. I didn't really like this one because the neck joint really impeded fret access.
    DrageKage
    DarkValo666 wrote: Some people may call it a fretboard, I call it a SNOWboard. 8 strings are just too much for me, but this thing sounds great, no doubt about that.
    I call it a cricket bat
    guitarmazdur
    yea but i can see him having problems with the lack of cutaway on the neck joint
    bustapr
    Lindgren
    ProgJazzMath wrote: Hells.Mascot wrote: ProgJazzMath, you do not seem to understand that Schecters are about the bang for your buck. I challenge you to find a better guitar for their price range on almost any of their models. They may not make fine guitars, but they're an excellent purchase for the price point. AGILE GUITARS. Go to rondomusic.com click electric guitars, and choose either 7 or 8 string. You get ridiculously good instruments for the same price as an ESP, Ibanez or a Schecter for that matter. Enjoy and thank yourself for challenging me because I have officially saved you a few hundred bucks in your future purchases.
    I'm glad someone mentioned Agile! I also found the lack of scale lenght discussion strange, until I realised this isn't sevenstring.org
    r0ckth3d34n
    Ackj wrote: Any idea what they're sacrificing to save $300 from the Hellraiser 8 strings?
    Set-thru mahogany neck and coil-taps, basically. Different binding too, I think.
    TriKef
    I have the same model (black finish instead) and I'm enjoying mine, though it has its flaws. My F# string was too loose when I first got it and my volume nob feels loose as well. As for the EMGs, I find them fine on both clean and High Gain using my Crate 65w Flexwave amp even though clean doesn't match the pickups on my EX-400. A 7.4 seems right for this guitar.
    ProgJazzMath
    For the money, I guess you couldn't be too bummed about this guitar, but if you do want to maybe spend a little more on an 8 string, go for the agile. They have some for 650 that even look better than this, but it's whatever. The Agile is made better for 8 string than this certain Schecter, but it's up to you to decide, so go play one and keep on shreddin.
    nedthehead
    Kreuger wrote: Who buys an 8 string and tunes it to standard?
    You do realize the E he's talking about is an octave below that of a 6 string guitar, right?
    K-Schmidt
    Congratulations. You own a guitar and a 2 string bass in the same instrument!
    bokma
    Soulgrind025 wrote: Ibanez 8 Strings are MUCH better quality. Thinner, more comfortable neck, and feels solid. The Schecter 8 Strings arent bad, but the neck is thicker, and doesnt have the sweet action that an ibanez wizard neck has. Tosin made the RIGHT choice in his guitar...
    Amen to that!
    Brendan.Clace
    Demonikk
    mysticguitar77 wrote: Basswood is kind of an odd choice for an 8-string in all honesty because it's a brighter wood which the higher notes sound nicer but the lower notes don't have the added boost like mahogany gives. And besides, basswood does not cost that much more than mahogany. Both are relatively cheap woods.
    Basswood is actually a very good choice for 8-strings due primarily to that slightly brighter tonality Mahogany really can sound far too thick on the low F#, again losing note definition. It also means that the boost in mids you would need to compensate for a mahogany body would give you a very harsh tone on the higher strings. Using basswood means you don't need to alter your tone significantly, if at all which is great if you've got a perfect 6/7 string sound already
    Floppylopagus
    ProgJazzMath wrote: prepostrophy wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: sewoo55 wrote: wow that looks smexy. Tosin Abasi should really get one of these instead of those ibanez rg models No. The Ibanez model Tosin Abasi is one the best 8 strings on the market. This schecter, is a piece of shit. Schecter in general are a bad guitar company. schecter guitars are not a bad company in the least bit. theyre as good as or better than ESP. Yeah, No. The only guitar schecter has to offer that isn't a piece of shit is the Jeff Loomis model. They also don't stand a chance against ESP. An MH-100 ESP LTD would put the highest priced Schecter to shame. I've done it myself
    You do realize that Schecter is a custom guitar shop right? The point is to customize what you want, and how you want it. If you don't like their guitar models then you should avoid reveiws on them. Neck thickness is a person preference if you don't like a thick neck, or you don't like a thin neck do us all a favor. Keep it to yourself. Ibanez is overall a good guitar manufacturer, and Schecter also has excellent guitars. I have a guitar from both companies. Personally I don't like the girly feel of the Ibanez necks, and frets. Same reason I don't really like B.C. Rich guitars. If a guitar is well made. Out of quality parts. Then its not a piece of shit. You liked the Jeff Loomis model. It is extremely simple in design, and well made. Besides that if Jeff Loomis didn't like Schecter guitars, or thought they were shit. He wouldn't have had a custom signature guitar made by them. I suggest opening your mind, and judge fairly. You are allowed to not like something, but when you start to point fingers it looks childish. I hope you can take constructive criticism, or at least know why I am giving you constructive criticism...
    smasherman
    Hellraiser has mahogany body, Ibanez has basswood. Mahogany, for an 8-string guitar, is the better choice since mahogany would give more punch to it compared to basswood even though basswood is more expensive. The Hellraiser is single cut, the Ibanez is double cut. I always prefer single cuts.
    Good Basswood is better than cheap mahogany. Also they are both double cuts. I am not quite sure where you are getting that the hellraiser is a single unless you are mixing it up with the solo 8.
    ProgJazzMath
    mysticguitar77 wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: sewoo55 wrote: wow that looks smexy. Tosin Abasi should really get one of these instead of those ibanez rg models No. The Ibanez model Tosin Abasi is one the best 8 strings on the market. This schecter, is a piece of shit. Schecter in general are a bad guitar company. Nah... The chances are you've never played any Hellraiser. Have you ever played the stock Ibanez Tosin Abasi plays? The pickups are terrible, don't even compare to the EMG's Schecter puts in their 8-strings. After you pay way over what the guitar Ibanez 8-string is worth, you have to shovel out another couple hundred for pickups and a few more bucks to get a decent setup on the guitar because Ibanez's factory setup is sh*t. The Ibanez 8-string is not worth the price at all. If you want quality for a reasonable price, look no further than the Schecter Hellraiser C-8. One of, if not the best, 8-strings on the market. Absolutely blows the Ibanez out of the water.
    You realize he plays the model that comes standard with EMG 808's right? He doesn't play the RGA8 which comes with IB pickups. Sorry dude. Hate to burst your bubble. Maybe the lower end schecters do come with EMG's but that doesn't do much when the guitar itself is made poor.
    guitaristren
    Not a fan of 8 strings but I think it's cool that Schecter have one in production. It offers more to the 8 string world which is good.
    metalcore123
    EpiExplorer wrote: The deathcore guitar.
    +1. Every deathcore act is going 8 string now. It's a little dried out, IMO.
    mysticguitar77
    Brendan.Clace wrote: The problem I see here is that people are comparing high end Ibanez guitars with the Damien series from Schecter.....for shame people. Apples to apples....not apples to oranges....
    Yes, which is why I'm constantly bringing up the Hellraiser line which is one of Schecter's higher end lines and is much more comparable to the higher end Ibanez's.
    mysticguitar77
    Slaytan666 wrote: shredder3386 wrote: Slaytan666 wrote: For the most part, 8-strings say to me "I don't sound original on a 6- or 7-string". Some people are interested in expanding there tonal posibilities and an 8 string guitar provides guitarists with new ways to explore sounds. You can't be so closed-minded on something just because it is new. You are probably the type of person who would have asked Tony Iommi "What do you need amp distortion for, can't you just come up with an original sound with the equipment you have?" Thats a stupid way to look at music and if you ruled the world we wouldn't have some of the great 8 string innovators like Tosin Abasi. Perhaps you didn't notice that I started off with "FOR THE MOST PART". I like how you assume that I'm closed-minded because you misread my comment. I'm not saying that because somebody plays an 8 they're less talented than a 6 or 7 string player. I quite enjoyed the new Fear Factory album, on which Dino Cazares plays an 8. I'm saying that there's gonna be a lot of people who suck buying these to capitalize on the trend of the day.
    Well maybe you should have been more elaborate with your comment so people don't mistake you. As for Tosin Abasi: I haven't seen anyone to be able to play the bass notes and guitar parts at the same time as effectively as he does. He's also one of the most intelligent, well-taught, and creative 8-string players I've ever seen. The guy has clearly mastered every techniqie you can play on 6-string and took his playing to the next level to an 8-string. Stop trying to bring the guy down. I'm sure there are other 8-string players out there that do the same thing Abasi does, but they're not out there making a name for themselves, Abasi is.
    demise32
    Look up Robert Conti. He's a jazz player who uses 8-string guitars and such. Great talent right there.
    ReldvS
    i so want to get one of these. or any 8 string for that matter LOL i LOVE extended range guitars. i only have a six string baritone ERG now but i hope to own more in the very near future. Ive started selling off my "normal" guitars to save up for the ones i really want. to many, anything less than 27" is too short
    shredder3386
    jee5678
    Good GAWD. I'll stick to my measly 6-string...I can't imagine playing this. The scale on these things is crazy...I know some Agile 8-strings are made with a 28.6" scale...you have to be a monster just to play the thing
    Iommianity
    If you can't look at an 8-string guitar and see potential either, how is that approach any better than what those core bands are doing? Whatever use an 8 string guitar has is up to the person playing it. It's no more silly than those same core bands playing 6 strings and only using the first 4. A lot of bands do use extended range instruments for no reason. On the same token, I have a 7-string, and I use the range. My band tunes to B, but I keep my guitar in standard. There are a ton of possibilities, from extended chords, to multi octave scale runs, or finger picking sections closer to how a pianist would approach it. Plus, keeping the same scale patterns I'm used to in standard, regardless of what key I'm in, means I worry less about transposing and more about melody.
    mysticguitar77
    synestershadows wrote: Lol @ Tosin getting this garbage guitar. Pretty much every guitar he has is custom made except for the Ibanez Prestige.
    Oh look, another Schecter hater... Just because it's not the precious Synyster Gates model doesn't mean it's garbage.
    mysticguitar77
    K-Schmidt wrote: Congratulations. You own a guitar and a 2 string bass in the same instrument!
    Yes, and that proves to be very useful if you know how to utilize it right. Just ask Mr. Tosin Abasi.
    EpiExplorer
    mysticguitar77 wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: GHO5T616 wrote: my experience with 8 string guitars is of mediocre "metal-core" bands who hold no real talent. using this for a heavier lower end to mask the lack of skill and technique Check out Periphery and Animals as Leaders. Some bands out there are doing something worth while with them. I also agree, too many bands get the 8 string just for the bottom to chug and half the time never even use the extra high string. Like Meshuggah and sorry to say new Deftones as well. But, I still like both bands, so they can just keep on chugging on that 8th string all they want. Also, Bleeding Through is a pretty good band that uses 8-strings now I believe.
    Thats why its the deathcore guitar.
    slashe50
    bustapr wrote: wow so many schecter reviews these days. Makes me feel like reviewing my v-1 fr. Really dont see the point of getting an 8 string, but thats just me, I really dont like such a low sound, and I prefer moving around the neck than moving down strings...
    You've clearly never listened to Periphery, Tesseract, or any other band in that current movement.
    mrshreddy
    I cant use 8 strings, the bottom string just sounds like your playing it open even when your playing like the 5th fret. Too muddy for me, 7 strings are the sh*t.
    sewoo55
    Xx__benji__xX
    ultrahappytappy
    No. There *are* so many grammar problems.