Damien Solo Elite review by Schecter

Schecter: Damien Solo Elite

Price paid: C$ 330

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

This guitar is a metal machine. Pretty much dead to anything like Jazz, or blues. The EMG 81 sounds fantastic in this guitar, heavy as anything and the combo between the 81 and 85 produce a beautiful sounding clean tone for any kind of metal cleans. The 85 by itself though sounds off, but that's probably just the fact I haven't changed the battery in a while.

I play metal. I play only metal (And some rock, but I have other guitars for that) and this guitar will cover any kind of metal from thrash, to melodic death. From Metallica, to In Flames... This guitar can do everything in between (For metal!). If it was lost, or stolen, I'd be devastated for sure. I got this guitar at a steal price, and since they cost so much new, I'd never be able to afford one again, which would kill me inside. Favorite thing about this guitar, is the EMGs. When I saw the guitar on the rack, it was the EMGs that cought my eye and the rest was just an amazing added bonus. The only thing though that I think would make this guitar ABSOLUTELY GODLY is a set of Locking tuners, and instead of being a string-thru body, have a stop tail piece instead. But when on a low budget, and you see this guitar for real cheap, buy it because you'll never find a better deal on such a metal guitar.

I've gigged with this guitar twice so far, both in big shows. I've brought backups with me simply because I'm a paranoid freakazoid who breaks strings left right and center when I need the guitar the most. However, I've not needed to use backups yet, which means that this guitar can be gigged without a back up for sure. Everything seems to last fairly well on it and the finish is amazing. I've been playing this guitar since April now, and the finish itself hasn't warn or scraped or anything yet.

I bought it used at Long and McQaude but the guy before me didn't really have much of a clue how to set it up. I bought it and got it home, and had it back within a week for setup. Once it was set up though (I had it setup for C standard, and now its in Drop A#), it was a dream to play. There's not much I can say that's a flaw with this guitar except I find the nobs have a good tendancy to come lose very easily.

* Construction: Single-cutaway * Body: Mahogany * Neck: Bolt-on maple neck * Scale: 25.5" * Fingerboard: rosewood * Frets: 24 extra-jumbo * Nut: GraphTech tusq * Inlays: Stained cross * Binding: Multi-ply * Bridge Pickup: EMG-81 active humbucker * Neck Pickup: EMG-85 active humbucker * Electronics: Volume/volume/tone/3-way switch * Bridge: TonePros Tune-o-matic with thru-body string mounts * Tuners: Grover * Hardware: Black chrome

goingnowhere21
    slipknot_420 wrote: enswinchester wrote: katalyzt13 wrote: Why would you prefer a stop tail piece instead of string thru? I just do. I hate stringthrus because they give me more trouble than its worth to restring them and my watch gets caught in the strings going into the body when I reach for my volume pedal. theblackwell wrote: Noob review.... I am not a noob -.- Yea you are lolz.
    j.kills.it
    First off, before commenting like things like "noob review", you should explain what gives you right to make such an assumption. You could be a 14 yr old kid that's just a douchebag. Backup your comments a little bit, noobz. I play guitar in a band that has toured the east coast, and have played only Schecter since I was 18 (I'm now 27) and this guitar is the third of that list. I would rate this guitar a 9.5, with the only thing that has bothered me, being that it's a bolt-on neck. Schecter relatively recently came out with a new Hellraiser version of this that is only $600, as opposed to the Damien's $500. In my experience, and opinion, you can't get a much better, brand new guitar for the price. I will be purchasing the newer Hellraiser version soon, and selling my Damien. The EMG's are perfect, and jazz is the building block of guitar playing, honest creativity. My band is typical metalcore, but I'm a guitar player who continues to learn more about technique, tone, gear, etc. Thank you dude, for posting this review, though I'd like to warn you about pouring hot cement in your ears, that could hurt quite a bit. facebookdotcomslashdeliverus
    enswinchester
    theblackwell wrote: Noob review....
    I am not a noob -.-
    Linkerman
    enswinchester wrote: You probably can but I play mostly metal and would rather fill my ears with hot cement than listen to jazz. So
    Wow, just wow. Noob and musically uneducated. You're gonna go far, kid.
    Banjocal
    goingnowhere21 wrote: Says "slipknot_420", the epitome of coolness. He really likes the guitar, give him a break. It was rated too high though, that's all.
    Just like every other review on here.
    enswinchester
    AWACS wrote: And btw, EMG's were originally made for jazz. If you can't play any jazz on that guitar (you can play any style on any guitar) then its probably your amp that sucks.
    ?Loki?
    Woah i played this in a store and im thinkin of buyinn not only could could it handle punk and metal but i slapped some crunch and reverb it sounded great playin blues but i like Floyd Rose bridges thats my only bitch comment :/
    eisan17
    Bought this guitar brand new ani don't know what buddy's talking about but this plays awesome blues im a huge SRV fan and it sounds great, don't get me wrong its no strat but it will do till I can afford one, its also great for zepplin no regrets on buying it at all, and the pic posted is the Damien elite six its just a single cut not a double
    grungelive72
    Pretty sure that's a pic of the hellraiser, but I could be wrong. I'm a huge fan of schecters, but i never really liked the damien series.
    HxC Cody
    Great guitars, Just to pricey and not the greatest quality work. I use to be a big schecter fan until they started slipping and tring to take short cuts
    AWACS