Damien Solo Elite review by Schecter

Schecter: Damien Solo Elite

The sound is very nice, never had active pickups before but I can't complain. Way punchier than Ibanez Vintage pups. This baby turns my shitty Crate from a fat flubby muddy sumo to a ninja. Through all the eq tweaks I have done this can get a good tone in any style you wish, sound is more so how you play and your nobs though.

I play technical metal and this works great, I have 5 years under my belt and I am finally getting higher quality gear, and this is definitely high quality on a budget! If it was stolen I'd hunt the dude, or go buy the Hellraiser Solo for the thru neck.

Only had it a few days. Beat the shit out of it, and there is no evidence. If only more things were like my Schecter.

Bought used and it was set up by a nimrod. Got it in the mail and the bridge pup was all the way down, while the neck touched the 3 high strings?! After some tweaking though it plays amazingly and it feels very sturdy yet not too heavy as to where it hurts/or you can't jump around like an ape.

I'm not too sure on the year or any of that, but let me tell you these things feel nice. The necks are very easy to shred, and this guitar can tune like a Baritone pretty easily. I've only had it a few days so I haven't set it up to my liking, but still 2 days in this is my favorite guitar. As everyone says DAYUM those inlays are sexy, and the trans black solo's look beautiful. Built tough as well, just tossed it in a random non padded soft case in my buddies trunk, drove a half our to shoot a video, and walked about 3 miles with it on my back or being thrown of the ground and it never so much as went out of tune! Only wish it had a vol/tone vol/tone set up not vol/vol/tone.

MaggaraMarine
    Everybody complains about EMGs not being able to play jazz. I think actives have a great clean sound and great distortion sound but they lack the twang and crunch of passive pickups. That's why they aren't good for blues, but what about jazz? Depends on which kind of tone you are after but many times you want a clean-clean tone and that's what actives can do pretty well. You might not want any twang for jazz but there are many kind of jazz guitar tones. But the first thing that comes to my mind when you say "jazz tone" is a smooth clean tone without twang or crunch. And that's what actives can do with my experience. But I'm a fan of twang and crunch sound so passives for me, please.
    ronhoward
    What's the point of calling people noobs and all that jazz? Like the other guy said, explain why you feel it's a "noob review." That way people will take what you have to say seriously instead of just thinking you're some kid trolling on here. I have the lefty version of this guitar. It's crimson red and cost $549 new (we always have to pay an extra $50 - $100). I've had this guitar since August, but I don't feel like typing up a whole review so I'll shorten it up here. To me, Schecter has always seemed like one of the better mid-range guitar makers. This is the only one I've owned, being left handed makes it difficult to be able to try out a lot of different guitars. But from what I've read and knowing people who had Schecters I came to that conclusion. I've had plenty of time to play mine and get past the honey moon period and for what I paid it is well worth it. I have a Gibson SG that blows this out of the water, but it's $450 more so it's not a fair comparison. It took a little bit to get used to playing because of the neck. I've always been used to the strat style necks, but once I got used to it I like how the neck feels. I don't like that it's a bolt on, but there's not many options for neck through in that price range. I also do not like the EMG's at all. They're very sterile sounding and not very hot. I play rock, punk, metal, alternative, etc. I've heard a Schecter with blackouts that sounded a lot better than the 81/85's. So I've considered changing the pups. The grover tuners are very nice and I never have to worry about it slipping out of tune. Sometimes it will be a little sharp/flat, but that's to be expected. It's never off by much. And I do like the string-thru design. I don't see how that guy said he didn't like it and had problems with it. What problems? The only issue is flipping it over to put the strings in and that's not really an issue. Just take your watch off when you're playing, no big deal. That's on you not the design of the guitar. And I don't see how you can say it's dead to jazz and blues. I've gotten some pretty decent blues tones out of it. Just depends on what you're running it through and how good of a tweaker you are. All in all, it's a solid guitar for the price. There are better deals out there, but it depends on what you're looking for. No disrespect to the other reviewers, but they sound like it's their first decent guitar or they're still in the honeymoon stage. It's better than an entry level, but it's still a mid-range guitar. Hope this helps someone out and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
    over2time2
    Bolt on neck with Schecter guitars means no sustain and thus Damien series are nowhere as good as Hellraiser.