Damien Special review by Schecter

Schecter: Damien Special

Purchased from: Best Buy

I run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt thats decent but not perfect, but I have to say that where the amp lacks, the Damien makes up for it. Great clean sounds as well as distorted, which is good because I play everything from bluegrass to death metal. I know that a lot more people are turning to Schecter for their guitars, and synster gates of A7X probably has the coolest one. I used to have a crappy Squier Stratocaster that sounded awful on almost any setting, but luckily this is much better The tone of the guitar itself is best when trying to achieve a good distorted sound, mostly metal, but I would still recommend it to a player of any genre.

Compared to any Ibanez, ESP, or LTD guitars at its price it will blow them away. I was considering getting an Ibanez ART because I know that Ibanez usually has a great metal sound but this guitar is way better. When compared to the ART, I found that it had a much wider range of sounds. The jazz pickup in the neck is especially great for deep sounds even on distortion I use it for a fat bassy sound. As for ESP's and LTD's, I just think they are poorly constructed usually and have not as good a tone (give or take a few guitars). Also when compared to other Schecter guitars, it's almost as good as the hellraiser, and definitely beasts the C-1 series except for the apocalypse one. The glossed finish is spectacular, the overall sound is great and I wouldn't change a thing about it, besides the pickups.

I've smashed it into quite a few things as I was taking it to recording studios and gigs and such but I haven't actually dropped it anywhere although I'm sure it won't break easy. The finish seems to stay well after a few years of use although it does need some cleaning up after awhile.

The EMG HZ's are actually pretty good despite what you might hear otherwise because they're passive, although the Seymour Duncan Blackouts would be what I would replace them with if I did. The finish is stunning and maybe even breathtaking when you first lay eyes on it- Glossed Crimson with waves of black on it and a nice white striped outline on the body. Reasonably light, and great action on fretboard.

Nicely set up with 24 Jumbo fret, Rosewood fretboard and bolt-on body. Made with Grover tuners and passive EMG HZ Humbucker pickups (But don't underestimate them.) Three way selector on the pickups, and the neck pickup gets a great low jazzy sound to it with a lot of bass. Glossed finish over the body and has a double cutaway that's great for lots of upper neck action on solos. The finish is called "Blood Moon", and is a combination of crimson and black waves that you really have to see to understand the beauty of it.

CreeCore93
    i got this guitar for like free i gave my buddy my cheap as ibanez for it works very very well
    HardAttack
    ZA58 wrote: best buy sales guitars ?
    Yes, at select stores the company launched a pilot program called 'Best Buy Musical Instruments'. It started in Miami, Florida, and the store near me in Portsmouth, New Hampshire was the 2nd one in the nation to have a M.I. department according to what the management there told me. They want to take on Guitar Center head to head. I was shocked at first, but it's a great place to hang out and play in the sound proof rooms and they actually have a pretty good selection. Go google some short blog articles about it or some pictures.
    boeman1995
    Gerbaschlonk
    boeman1995 wrote: I'm thinking about buying a newer model, but comparable: the Damien Elite FR... I just wanted to know, is it true that Schecter tends to have quite thick necks compared to other 'metal' brands like ESP, Ibanez(I think it'll be thicker then those for sure:p) because I LOVE that guitar: it's cheap, but has all important things for me, and this is kindof the same thing except a few things, and I only wanna know about the neck being thick or not... Thanks in advance, can't wait for my Schecter!
    Actually I have one of these and I found the neck to be quite thin, really nice to play on. I upgraded from an epiphone SG special mind you. Paid 295 brand new for a factory 'blemished' guitar and LOL there were no blemishes just a dark spot in the wood on the back. I got it off ebay and had it sent to Australia. This guitar is amazing! especially for the price, here in Aus a guitar like this would easily cost 1000, we get ripped off pretty hard, thinking of getting an ESP viper 1000 aswell. Just a bit of rambling for you lol.
    HardAttack
    You've probably already made your decision by now, but in reponse to the neck question; my previous guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul. The neck is thicker than that of a Fender or an Ibanez. That's easy to feel when you pick it up. However, plenty of metal bands work with thicker neck guitars including acts like Trivium, DevilDriver, Dethklok and In Flames to name a few. The Schecter I find is a balanced neck. It is thinner than my Les Paul, but not as thin as an Ibanez. So for those who are concerned about having a true "shredder necK" like the Wizard, or whatever their latest one is, no, it's not as thin. Matt Heafy of Trivium however will show you in various videos that it doesn't matter very much if you're comfortable with the guitar. Be your own judge, man. Pick one up and see how it is. Due to me being on a Les Paul before, it was an easy transition for me.
    RaisingCain199
    i love the Damien series entirely, but they all have a bolt on neck. I have the Schecter Gryphon personally, and that is my only problem. You throw a thru neck (it can remain maple) on it, or knock the c-1 down to only one tone knob and put more aggressive pickups on it, it would better fit my likings (I know im not alone on this)
    Way Cool JR.
    Since I prefer bolt on necks over set neck or neck thru I'm glad Schecter has the Damien line. I also prefer the control layout on the C-1 style Damien's much more than the layout on the Blackjack,Hellraiser as well. Different stroke for different folks.