Devil Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: Devil Custom

Purchased from: Drum City Guitarland

As I said, the tone is great. My other guitar that I have been playing for years is an ec-1000 by ltd. Great guitar but it cannot match this one in tone. This Devil Custom has a very warm, well-rounded sound, but is also a bit on the middy/high end cause of the 81/85 emgs and the way this doggy is built. I noticed a very 'cutting' sound to my crunchy chords and also, as I said, the clean notes are very warm and full-bodied.

For metal this guitar not only looks and feels awesome, but SOUNDS awesome as well. I play out of a Marshall TSL 100 with a BBE maximixer and this geetar HOWLS f*****g metal. Like I said, the tone is on the higher end but with emgs and a Marshall you can't miss. My ltd ec-1000 is a VERY solid guitar, and I have been happy with it for years. Still am - but - it was time for a new gitbox. To change up the feel, shake things up etc. The Scheter Devil Custom caught my eye YEARS ago in an American Musical magazine but I didn't have the cash for it and I was also already very happy with my ltd. I was VERY fortunate to be able to find a Devil still in stock somewhere last month, brand new. I had to SCOUR google until I found the little geet shop in Colorado that had one. I never buy things used; I want to be the first one to break any instrument in. Anyways, I have ZERO complaints about this guitar. It is everything I thought it would be and MORE. If you can find one still out there, get it.

The guitar is balanced perfectly. You put on the strap and let it go and it settles at the perfect playing spot and does not droop any further. The neck I found to be a bit thicker than most guitars, but I like that. And it def doesn't hinder the thrash-attack. The guitar is on the lighter side but feels rugged enough. I have been beating on it for a month now and it rises to the occassion everytime. Schecter makes solid axes, end of story.

The geet came with the bass side at 3/64 and the treble side at 2/32. These are the measurments of a Standard setup from the factory. Which I didn't mind because A) it was unplayed, straight from the box, and B) I do my own setups and I like being the first one to noodle with that kinda thing whemn it's my own axe. I like my action a bit higher cause I have a heavier picking style and this guitar responded beautifully to the action adjustment and intonation I applied. This is a guitar that WANTS to intonate for you when you adjust the saddle-slots. The blood red burst finish is a malevolently beautiful thing to behold. It is very dark for the most part. Your average bedroom lighting shows the guitar as an almost blackish color with a very light bloody-plum sorta hue to it. But in direct light the craftsmanship on the color/finish comes to life. In direct lighting you see a 'black crushed-velvet covered in blood' sorta look. It is freakishly awesome.

It's a thru-neck design and it's also a string-thru. Which lends itself to a ton of tone. The 81/85 setup is deal for metal, which I play. Standard bridge. I have zero interest in leads so I don't mess around with the Floyd Rose headcahe. Very well-built git-box. I have the blood red burst model, and yes, it looks just as bada$$ as any pics you've seen.