Gryphon review by Schecter

Schecter: Gryphon

Mostly '90s alternative all-around besides some Clapton I can play and hopefully getting into Hendrix soon. Amp model would be a Line 6 Spider II 15 which absolutely fits this guitar in every single way. No effects outside the amp itself, crazy options on it. Noisy: of course! Even on the lowest of volumes it cuts through the air making the floor shake with excitement. It's a good noisy nonetheless. It's only quiet on clean mode. A little too quiet. It seems as though as you progress through the strings one by one their volume decreases. I don't quite understand this but it's still alright. Both a rich and full sound, it's quite amazing. Bright is included. This guitar can do anything. I am very pleased with the variety. The Line 6 site tells you song settings for their amp but I tried out the Smells Like Teen Spirit setting and it wasn't right. The Crunch didn't give it any justice. You should step up to metal if you want a similar sound. Perfect sound for Nirvana Unplugged songs especially Come As You Are, almost replicated with both guitar and amp. Superb but a few shaky bits!

Music I play is alternative, for now. Gonna get into jazz eventually. This is a very good match for me. I've been playing about a year now. I also can play trumpet and a little bass guitar. Other gear - see first section. I wish I had asked to try out the Omen 6 first 'cause it was cheaper. I played this at Guitar Center on the same model amp I was going to buy along with an Epi LP100, Epi SG, and an Epi Dot. This was the best suitable guitar for me. Bigger than the LP100 but smaller and a solid-body than the Epi Dot. The SG was a little overboard in price for me at $450. I love everything. I can't say I hate a thing. My favorite feature would be the finish, the only thing that could beat it would be Gibson's emerald fade finish. I hope all you metal heads convert from BC Rich to Schecter. Way better. And for other guitarists also looking for a 'Strat-Fighter' besides an LP. Get this guitar if you cherish your style of music. Please, save this guitar and smash your other one! You won't need another if you have this!

Live playing, I'm damn sure this will withstand anything you give it. Besides a smashing maybe. Never goes out of tune unless you want it to, and the hardware looks solid. Possible knob-control issues in the future I think. Strap buttons are awesome. They're wide and skinny at the same time with a screw going through it for support. I can definately depend on this in the future for being a main guitar. I have no back up, first guitar (electric anyways) so I'd have to go without one. Finish looks tough and lasting. No pick-guard either. But I never seem to hit it on any guitar I play. Awesome, reliable, durable, piece of machinery.

Guitar was perfectly set up for anyone. The strings were low enough to be comfortable for anyone. Beats my acoustic guitar's action by a landslide. The pickups were even good with the plasticy film stuff they put on to protct them it seems. But yes, excellent pickups on this. The bridge is routed perfectly as with most same with the nut-string alignment. No flaws yet to be seen. Besides the tone knob creating feedback on the guitar which is strange.

I'll start this off by saying I am in love with this guitar. Korean made, my Schecter 'Diamond Series' Gryphon was inspected by Schecter in the USA. Fret count is at 24 med./jumbo with a wonderful maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I'm guessing it's the same as a Strat considering it looks like one. Laminated top I do believe and I have no clue as to the body's wood. I assume maple due to mostly the rest of the guitar being maple. It seems to be a flamed top finish, ruby red (blood red as I like to call it). Body style is Strat with a couple extra contours in near the neck part of the body. Bridge is Gibson-like single stop bar then goes into the string-thru body. All black hardware which looks killer on it. I'm not sure about the electronics whether being active or passive. One volume knob and a coil tap tone knob. Pickups are at bridge and neck and are black Duncan Designed. Grover tuners I believe of the locking type. Let see, other stuff I bought with the guitar: - 12' Monster Cable - Line6 Spider II 15 Amplifier Free throw-ins: - Gig bag - D'Addario XL Strings - Dunlop Tortex .73mm picks And to think I was going to buy a DigiTech Grunge Pedal too, but that would have given me a bad number, grand total was $666 flat.