Gryphon review by Schecter

Schecter: Gryphon

I mainly play metal and classic rock, and it gets the job done quite nicely. When I want a metal sound, I use the humbuckers, and when I want a classic rock sound, I tap it for single coils. The sound of the humbuckers are great, but when its tapped, its not the best. When its tapped, there is a lot of excess humming, although that is found in almost all single coils. I am using a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt with either no effects or a Digitech RP 50. It sounds good with the effects on or off.

I play metal and rock, and this guitar is a perfect match. I have been playing for about a year, and my other guitar is a Fender Strat, which I also love. The only thing that I might change with this guitar is the pickups to a better match for the coil tapping. If it was stolen, I would definately get it again if I had the same amount of money. Overall, it is a great guitar, and I would recomend it to any beginner or intermediate at guitar.

This guitar will definately withstand gigs. The hardware looks like it will last for a long time and it wont give out on me. I replaced the strap buttons with straplocks, just incase, but the stock strap buttons seemed pretty soild to me. I probably wouldnt gig without a backup, for obvious reasons (tuning, broken string etc) but if I had to, I would. The finish is clear-coated and it looks like it will last for a long time.

When I took this guitar out of the box, it was set up pretty well. I play with a very low action for tapping, so it was a little high for me, but it was still at a good height. The pickups were raised at a perfect height. The maple top looked wonderful with the guitar. It has a very thin, fast neck, which is different from my Fender Strats neck.

My Schecter Gryphon is my second guitar. It was made in 2004 as far as I am aware. It was made in Korea and set up in the US. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, albalone inlays (I think) maple neck, and a flamed maple top. It's shaped like a Strat pretty much. It has a Tune-O-Matic brige with a string-thru body. There is 1 volume knob, and 1 tone knob, which can be pulled up to change the dual humbuckers into single coils. I dont really like the sound of the coils tapped with the stock Duncan Designed pickups, but I'm getting them replaced soon. It has a 2 way pickup selector. All of the hardware is black, and looks very nice with the color of the guitar.