Gryphon review by Schecter

Schecter: Gryphon

I play 90s alternative stuff along with a few modern bands like White Stripes. The amp that I have is the Line6 Spider II 15 practice amp sadly which I am hopefully going to upgrade to a VOX ADVT50 watt. I currently use two effects pedals, a Distortion Factory DF-7 and EHX Small Clone. I enjoy any of the sounds that I create from jazz to rock, and anywhere in between. Bluesy tones can easily be created using the neck humbucker, as overdriven punk is suited for the bridge. Awesome versitility.

I've been playing a little over a year and this was my first guitar. I feel that I don't deserve it it is so wonderfully playable. I wish I would have tried out more guitars because I really went on impulse with this one. I tried 4 guitars in total, this one being my second choice to an Epi SG which was 50 bucks more. I love everything, and I wish it came with a clone of itself because it plays that beautifully. Great for any style of play, although it looks like a metal oriented guitar. Don't continue any further, I have nothing more to say but buy this guitar!

This guitar should definatly be a live player, it stays in tune for weeks. The strap buttons are flawless but could appear a little cleaner. The finish is wonderful, very durable. I would definately trust this in a gig without a backup, but I doubt I ever would play without one to be ont he safe side.

All of the setup was flawless, the nut was aligned, bridge was set just right, action was excellent. The bookmatched top could have been better, but I'm not complaining. I have recently found some crevaces in the finish, but nothing really noticeable.

The Guitar Center exclusive Schecter Gryphon is one amazing guitar. Korean made but inspected in the US, it has the range of 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. The beautiful abalone inlays set this guitar off beautifully. Body wood is mahogany with a maple flame top. Body style is similar to the Jackson Soloist, indeed pretty sexy. Bridge style is string-thru TOM wonderfully black in color. All the hardware is black. The pickups are Duncan Designed probably similar to the Seymour SH-4 JB and SH-2 Jazz set in neck and bridge positions. Color finish is a ruby/blood red. Passive electronics (no batteries here) with coil-tap on the tone knob to split the humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, Graphtech nut, 3-way Switch, and Grover tuners finish off the hardware. I got no real extras in this deal.