Gryphon review by Schecter

Schecter: Gryphon

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play Metal(like Black Label Society, Rob Zombie, etc...), Rock(like Rev Theory, etc..), and Alternative(like Alter Bridge, Creed, Nickelback, etc..). This guitar with the coil tap fits into every music style you want, which is one of the best thing about the guitar. I play the Gryphon through a solid-state Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp, and I am using a DigiTech Metal Master(which if you play to loudly, sounds like your pedal is raping your amp with that much distortion haha). This guitar is great with rich and bright, or deep and low sounds depending on the tone control. This guitar has definitely one of the most variety of sounds of any guitar I have heard, played or owned before. There is one thing I am not so sure of about the pups, when my distorion pedal is starting to go dead, the pups, if you hit the strings hard enough, make a "beew" sound, which may just be my amp, Who knows.

I have been playing about 10 months now and I have had 2 acoustics, and 2 Squiers which the black and chrome fat Strat is pretty awesome, but the Schecter Gryphon definitely shreds the strats out of the picture. If this guitar were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again(if I had the money). This guitar is greatly featured and really doesn't need anything else, but it could've came with 2 tones and 2 volumes, which would have added to the already awesome tonal variability. All and all this is a great guitar which stands it's spot as my fav. Guitar and definitely one of Schecter's greatest $400 guitars. Get this guitar if it's in your budget!

I do not play in a band I'm just a hobbyist hoping to play in a band(lol) but this guitar is definitely heavy and thick enough I think to withstand a lot of carrying around and hauling back and forth. The hardware will definitely last for a long time, and the strap buttons are REALLY, REALLY solid but you may want to get strap locks if you care for your guitar, I use Hennesey Guitar Parts strap locks which should withstand up to 800 lbs. of force. The finish is really soloid and WILL withstand.

The guitar came set up perfectly, you may want to adjust the pups though to get their "prime" sound. The top was properly bookmatched and the bridge was set up nicely with the intonation dead on. The Gryphon I bought did not contain any flaws, body wise, but my nut under the tone/coil tap button did come loose a tad bit, and the nut around my 3-way selecter Switch. But none the less easy fixes.

The features for this guitar are great. You get a beautiful abalone inlayed rosewood fretboard, and a flawless flamed maple top with mahogany backs and sides. The neck is bolt on which I personally like better than set necks(further away from neck pickup which is where I do harmonics). The body style is Stratish but it is definitely thicker and heavier, which is great. You get a String - Thru body bridge which keeps the strings in tune for a really long time which is great also. Passive HB-103's, Duncan Designed of course. The Gryphon comes with 2 control buttons(vol, tone)and a coil tap feature which is very lovely when you want to play Nirvana and such. The Gryphon has 3 way selecter Switch which comes black, all the hardware. The Gryphon comes with a Graphtec Man-Made Ivory nut, and premium D'Addario strings.

FrustratedRocka
    A seven string has a B string under the low E, allowing for lower playing suited to metal. BURN YOUR DAMIEN. BUY THIS. PUT ACTIVE PICKUPS IN IT.