Hellraiser Avenger FR review by Schecter

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.7 (11 votes)
Schecter: Hellraiser Avenger FR

Price paid: $ 899

Purchased from: Drumcity Guitarland

Sound — 9
I play metal and metalcore stuff 99% of the time, so output is key. I love the EMGs, and because they're both coil-tappable, I can get a wide variety of tones just by messing around with the tone/volume knobs. Now the other 1% of the time I play low-gain/clean stuff, so a mahogany body comes in handy. Because of its large size, it gives a nice deep sound as well. And believe me, this guitar has a great sustain. The only thing I have issues with is the 81 when coil tapped. I hate the extremely bright tone. But that doesn't bother me all too much.

Overall Impression — 10
This is the guitar of my dreams. I've played numerous guitars that run into the $2000s, and this is by far one of the best I've played, considering its price. If this guitar were to be produced by another major company like Jackson or ESP, it would easily go to the $1000-$2000 range. Schecter has always been promising, according to my friends who have Schecters. I'm glad that I got this highly versatile, oddly-shaped BEAST of a guitar.

Reliability & Durability — 10
I've hit the headstock way too many times (because I'm not used to the long shape), and I only see a very small dent. I also abuse the FR a lot, and they're still fine. I could definitely go through a gig without a backup, but you can never be too risky. A VERY solid guitar.

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
I've heard many stories that Schecter comes perfectly out of the factory. The stories are true. The first thing I checked was fret buzz and action. They were both excellent. The next day I had it checked out by my friend who's a guitar tech, and could not believe that it came straight out of the box like that. No complaints here.

Features — 10
Made in 2009 in S. Korea. It's a limited run by Schecter, but there have been a few on DCGL. It has 24 X-Jumbo frets, on a 3 pc. Mahogany neck (D neck, so similar to a Gibson neck), 25.5". Body is made of Mahogany, so it's quite a heavy one. This does NOT have a flamed maple top, like the BCH version of this guitar. The hardware are black chrome, has an OFR, and according to Schecter it has "Schecter locking tuners", but mine came with Grover locking tuners. It comes with EMG 81-tw (bridge) and EMG 89 (neck). 2 volume (coil tap), and 1 tone. The knobs are regular chrome. There's also a 3-way blade pickup switch.

4 comments sorted by best / new / date

    for the synester gates fan who thinks, flat tops, solid colors and pinstripes look silly. looks like a real solid axe
    TheBackHouse wrote: for the synester gates fan who thinks, flat tops, solid colors and pinstripes look silly. looks like a real solid axe
    Definitely is, I've hit the headstock numerous times (not used to the 25.5" scale), just a very small dent. Can't even see it up close, you can only feel it.
    Real sick looking guitar. Didn't realize it was synyster's guitar till BackHouse mentioned it. Kinda ruined it for me...
    It's not synyster's guitar. It's a Schecter Avenger Hellraiser Fr ... has nothing to do with syn or avenged sevenfold.