Hellraiser Sunset FR review by Schecter

Schecter: Hellraiser Sunset FR

Purchased from: zZounds.com

Dude, this guitar can literally achieve any tone/sound when the right person is holding it. The split coil EMG's are a dream come true in terms of versatility, they should just always do that in guitars. You can get any tone with those. Don't let anyone tell you different. It's truly remarkable. The mahogany body allows for rough and full tone with astronomical sustain. It's a wonder to the ears, as well.

I play metal/hardcore/metalcore/metal/rock/shred/and that soft clean stuff we all like occasionally. I have been playing for about 4 years and this guitar suit's my needs flawlessly. I have been looking for a new guitar for a year. No joke, and I made my mind with this one. I like it a lot. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another one. No question. The thing is, they're discontinued, it would be tough to find another. My favorite feature is probably the pickups. That split coil thing warms my heart to think about. The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the fact that it's a bit heavy and the reverse headstock is the most minor of inconveniences. I compared it to every guitar in it's ballpark and this one came out on top. If there were one thing I wish it had. It would have to be paired allen wrenches with the guitar. Because now I have to go buy some for the Floyd.

This guitar is perfect for any kind of playing. Except if you planned on breaking it on stage. I'm not convinced this could be broken that easily, it's pretty solid. Everything would be just fine. The strap buttons, the electronics, the hardware in general. But the 4th question here that I'm looking to answer is kinda stupid:"Would you use it on a gig without a backup?". Of course not. You never do that no matter how reliable a guitar is. So no, I wouldn't. But it has nothing to do with the guitar itself, it's just that it's smart to always have a backup. The finish is a high-gloss, very well-done finish. You shouldn't have problems like it wearing away or anything. Chips are pretty hard to induce on this thing.

The action for a guitar with a Floyd will almost never be to the preference of the buyer initially being that there are so many different methods of modifying it to your liking. Things like spring strength, action, tuning. It's all a bit of a pain to start, and I'm tuning mine to B. Define: irritating. Haha. But other than that, you can expect a nicely tuned guitar. Nothing wrong, here. The vampire-red finish was beautiful.

Features are pretty much everything you would want from a higher end metal guitar. Mahogany, Grover Tuners, EMG 81TW/89 (Which is basically the 81/85 but with split-coil capabilities), Original Floyd (not licensed), Curve Top, 24XJ Frets, Gloss Finish, S-Shaped body, 3-way selector, Push/Pull volume knobs, tone knob, 25.5" Scale. Just seemingly perfect. Except it has a reverse headstock. And those bug me a little. But that's just me. It's also a bit heavy.

t.ev
    t.ev
    Balmazer wrote: t.ev wrote: i dont see a pickup selector on this guy although the reviewers do describe one also in the picture i'm seeing there are only two knobs....not sure what's going on here ...What?
    i dont see a switch to change between the pickups in the picture
    ShadesOfNight
    Balmazer wrote: t.ev wrote: i dont see a pickup selector on this guy ...What?
    There is one, just can't see it in that pic. Looks real nice though
    SirKillsalot
    t.ev wrote: Guys, the differences between this one and the Hellraiser C-1 FR are subtle but present. i dont see a pickup selector on this guy and there are only two knobs on this one, unlike the C-1. also the headstock as someone mentioned
    This guitar does indeed have a pickup selector and three knobs, two being volume and the last one being tone. The picture is misleading or must be old as I can assure you, my 2008 model Sunset does indeed have three knobs and a 3-way selector switch.