Omen-6 review by Schecter

Schecter: Omen-6

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

This guitar is mainly for rythmn metal and even lead metal. I can get a good solo out of it every so often but I just wished it had a better pick up system. I'm using a cheap Drive 20watt amp and a Marshall half stack (it's not mine of course, I'd give you the model #). This guitar sounds quite nice. There is no noise other than what you play and if you're running alot of distortion through to give you bad feed back. This guitar is really a one trick pony. It can easily be used for Black Sabbath, but for a band like Van Halen don't try it. It's too deep. I just wished they would have used actual Duncans instead of their own no-name brand.

I play a little bit of everything. Led Zeppelin to Pearl Jam. Black Sabbath to Nirvana. The Who to Van Halen. This thing is well suited for most of them, but really not for a Van Halen sound. EVH uses an extremely hot pickup wound to perfection. $140 bucks a pop though. I've been playing for about 7 or 8 months now and I really just own this and my crappy Drive 20watter. I have a few distortion pedals and a Dunlop GCB-95 WAH, which is really bad. If this thing was stolen, I'd kill the bastard who took it. I really wished it wasn't string through and it had a good old Floyd Rose Tremolo. Other than that, this thing is built to last. For $299, you can't go wrong.

This guitar is a beast. I've dropped it a few times and it barely looks like it happend. Sure, there are a few scratches on it but that doesn't take the sound away from it. The guitar could most definatly withstand a good gig or two (maybe hundred). The hardware seems great. The black knob on the top of my selector Switch did break though. Schecter sent me one out the next day. I would never gig without a back up, only because of the obvious reasons; string break = out of tune = half the song may be on that string = millions of possibilities. Trust me, this guitar is built to last.

This guitar came from the factory flawless. My only gripe is that the volume and tone knobs create some feedback and buzzing when you're using heavy distortion (Boss DS-1 Cranked on Distortion). Everything came in tip-top shape compared to what I've seen. The factory set up was quite nice, but I lowered it so I could do fretboard tapping a hell of a lot easier.

My Omen 6 was made in 2004 in Korea with a 24 fret neck and a medium neck. This solid top guitar has a beautiful transparent finish. Either black or blue. I chose black for mine. It has a Strat style body with a tune-o-matic bridge and string thru body. This guitar has passive elctronics which doesn't give it as much crunch as an EMG or a good DiMarzio pick up. The controls on this are: 1 volume and 1 tone knob, 3 way selector Switch and a H/H pick up config. The pickups are Duncan Design which would make them non-duncans, just designed from them. This just has standard run of the mill Gotoh or Grover tuners on it, there really isn't a name on them. They give you a shitty cable which in my case, was shorted out.